What is your favorite web browser?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: What is your favorite web browser?

Post by Zarel »

macuser wrote:I run the absolute bleeding edge of all browsers on one of my machines and NO the back-face culling bug is not fixed (I have a webpage I wrote that makes use of it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X0_LGW54-A This page seen in the video still does this on chrome but not webkit nightly.
The page seen in the video is this page:
http://www.webkit.org/blog-files/3d-tra ... cubes.html

Which, by the way, neither you nor that YouTube page links to.

It works fine in Chrome 13.0.782.13 dev, which is what I'm using. Here's a screenshot as proof: http://d.pr/pJZB

My guess is that you're either using an old version of Chrome, or you forgot to uncheck "Backfaces visible"
macuser wrote:About chrome and safari using different versions of webkit: http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/WebKit2

This page talks about:

webkit1 - no sandboxing
webkit2 - native sandboxing
Chrome webkit - they modified it to use a custom sanboxing model
Yeah, that's talking about a different API layer to WebKit. The rendering engine part is still the same.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

I'm using chromium version 14 and I did uncheck the box. (SRY bout no link)

Yes it is talking about a different API layer but that is not the only thing they changed in their custom version of webkit. But my main point is they DO use a modified version of webkit.
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Oh, well. You can't really mention temporary bugs as flaws in standards compliance.

Right now, I'm annoyed because the latest stable of Safari (Safari 5) still doesn't support FileReader for drag-and-drop file uploads. For comparison, Firefox supported it as of 3.6 (latest stable: Firefox 4) and Chrome supported it as of 7 (latest stable: Chrome 11).

Honestly, I consider drag-and-drop file uploads the most important feature for a browser to have, I'm going to rank browsers solely XHR 2 + FileReader support date:

- Chrome: first, by Chrome 7
- Firefox: second, by Firefox 4
- Safari: third, by unreleased Safari 6
- Opera: possibly by Opera 11.5 or 12?
- IE: possibly by IE 10?
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

I realize, but there are a few others (that probably will be fixed some time or another) it's just kinda annoying.

About Chrome. I think it's a fine web browser I just wish that the UI looked more native like the screenshot it posted. I don't like the style of the tabs and the toolbar buttons etc.

BTW have you seen the browser "Stainless" ? http://www.stainlessapp.com/
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Holy crap, firefox 5 is fast ... i think i'm finally going to learn vimperator, for now the firefox's javascript is fast enough to highlight links quiclky enough on my netbook (:
Powzone
Trained
Trained

Post by Powzone »

This is my "version" of Firefox 5.0... :D
FiFo5.0_poWZone.png
I have some useful plugins installed and as it is on a 1024x600 netbook, I use the "Classic Compact" theme to have more site on the screen. I know I can even lift the tabs to the top, but double-click-new-tab-magic takes the window from maximized. ;)
Plugins eat up RAM and sometimes speed. In the configuration with the sites you can see it eats up 345MB of memory. Well there's good and there's bad everywhere... :D
Arch / Intel Core i9 12900 / 32GB RAM / NVidia RTX2070 Super
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

I use the portable version of Iron. It works well off a flash drive starting in seconds and staying responsive unlike Firefox (which I actually like more). Portable Firefox was just too slow to use taking 1-3 minutes!! to start and locking up all the time :(
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

taking 1-3 minutes!! to start
what is the platform/os? just curious (:
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

Windows xp/vista/7 a fairly broad assortment of computers really. I would have chalked it up to crappy library computers if it hadn't done the same thing on my (normally abnormally speedy) computer.

Normally abnormally speedy because it does all kinds of tasks ranging from simple to complex faster than any computer I have ever used including a brand new quad core I tried out a little while ago O_o and I used second/third tier parts when I built it about... 3-4 years ago?

Really the constant lockups where a lot worse, It was almost unusable. It was a little better when I wrote a script to copy it off onto the host computers HD, but then I had to wait for it to copy off and for my profile to backup when I shutdown, at least it mostly fixed the lockups.
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

milo christiansen wrote:Windows xp/vista/7
Yeah that makes sense. Firefox is terribly slow on windows somehow >.< On my 1.3ghz netbook with linux, firefox starts in ~5 seconds (which is still a bit slow)
kracker
Trained
Trained

Post by kracker »

@NoQ:
milo christiansen wrote:I use the portable version of Iron. It works well off a flash drive starting in seconds and staying responsive unlike Firefox (which I actually like more). Portable Firefox was just too slow to use taking 1-3 minutes!! to start and locking up all the time :(
:)
Error: Keyboard not found. Press any key to continue.
~Co-Founder of the clan BDC.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

which means i'm totally confused, because i assumed the last post was a reply to my last question (what was it then?)
kracker
Trained
Trained

Post by kracker »

NoQ wrote:which means i'm totally confused, because i assumed the last post was a reply to my last question (what was it then?)
Just saying that flash drives aren't as fast as hard drives, no matter the os :)
Error: Keyboard not found. Press any key to continue.
~Co-Founder of the clan BDC.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I was using firefox on a netbook with a flash drive as well, and it was pretty usable.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

kracker wrote:Just saying that flash drives aren't as fast as hard drives, no matter the os :)
Not true, see e.g. http://www.supertalent.com/products/stt ... 0USB%203.0 (not to mention that SSDs are also flash drives).
We want information... information... information.