Add free music

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Kayiaxo
Trained
Trained

Add free music

Post by Kayiaxo »

Hello,

There are quite a few music out there made by some small musicians who allow their music to be distributed, you just need their authorisation for it.
Or what could also be done is just make some basic music with a mixer, nothing special.

I think wz2100 would be a lot better with music.
Any idea when .mp3 and other big standards will be supported if wz2100 stays without music so we can add or own ?
Credits to Kacen for making the image.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Re: Add free music

Post by lav_coyote25 »

hmmmm... music you say?  :o  add it to warzone2100 GPL?    ???

;D try here...
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

mp3 is supported in 2.0 (support droped in 2.1).
ogg is supported (and prefered) in all versions.
There is some very nice music by MichaelB, Chojun and others, search the forums if you want to listen.
Kayiaxo
Trained
Trained

Post by Kayiaxo »

Fantastic ! Fantastic !
The game is much better with music !

And why will .mp3 be dropped ?
Most people have .mp3 or .wav
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

Among other things due the fact that the mp3 standard isn't a free standard.
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
Kayiaxo
Trained
Trained

Post by Kayiaxo »

-_-"

Well then, guess I have to prepare for the worst ...
Anyone knows an free/open source program to convert audio to .ogg ?

Might as well put that on the wiki also to tell players how to make their music wz2100 compatible.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Will do.
Some reasons where that madlib, which we used for mp3 decoding, doesn't seem to be maintained since a long while and the buildsystem was a bit ugly (nearly like libjpeg, which was also droped). We didn't need mp3 support for our music and when asking the people no one complained about not having mp3 support, either.
Kayiaxo
Trained
Trained

Post by Kayiaxo »

Well, .mp3 is easier for most people to work with.
Also since the .mp3 is broken atm, I don't see why leave it the way it is.
I understand that madlib isn't maintained anymore but if it works it works.
Instead of adding features this is removing one of them, it's like going a step backwards.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Making it easier for people to compile and maintain the software is not going a step backwards.
"Make a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, you keep him warm for the rest of his life."
Kayiaxo
Trained
Trained

Post by Kayiaxo »

Well, since I don't know a lot of programming I don't want to argue with that, although I got my own opinion of it.
In the end the developpers choose.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

--------------

* The Vorbis FAQ has a lot of great info & is worth checking out.

* It is likely that any music that is FREE utilizes this format for many reasons.

* But if you have music in MP3 format you can deal with it as follows (from the Vorbis FAQ):

Can I convert my MP3 collection to the Ogg Vorbis format?

You can convert any audio format to Ogg Vorbis. However, converting from one lossy format, like MP3, to another lossy format, like Vorbis, is generally a bad idea. Both MP3 and Vorbis encoders achieve high compression ratios by throwing away parts of the audio waveform that you probably won't hear. However, the MP3 and Vorbis codecs are very different, so they each will throw away different parts of the audio, although there certainly is some overlap. Converting a MP3 to Vorbis involves decoding the MP3 file back to an uncompressed format, like WAV, and recompressing it using the Ogg Vorbis encoder. The decoded MP3 will be missing the parts of the original audio that the MP3 encoder chose to discard. The Ogg Vorbis encoder will then discard other audio components when it compresses the data. At best, the result will be an Ogg file that sounds the same as your original MP3, but it is most likely that the resulting file will sound worse than your original MP3. In no case will you get a file that sounds better than the original MP3.

Since many music players can play both MP3 and Ogg files, there is no reason that you should have to switch all of your files to one format or the other. If you like Ogg Vorbis, then we would encourage you to use it when you encode from original, lossless audio sources (like CDs). When encoding from originals, you will find that you can make Ogg files that are smaller or of better quality (or both) than your MP3s.

(If you must absolutely must convert from MP3 to Ogg, there are several conversion scripts available on Freshmeat .)
* You can find conversion scripts [url=http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=convert%20ogg%20mp3]HERE

Cheers, RV :)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

Normally I support capitalism, companies' products and the effort they put into them.  However, the case of Mp3 is a pretty egregious abuse of the system, IMO.  A couple of years ago I looked into licensing for Mp3s and the licensing fees were absolutely, completely outrageous.  Situations like this is where open source really shines.  I hope that .ogg goes pretty far.
The best thing to do when your philosophies don't stand up to debate is to lock the thread and claim victory.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Just for interest: Wasn't MS sued for shiping MP3 encoded audio files?
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

Who WASN'T sued?  I believe Thompson is the company that is the owner of the Mp3/Mp3Pro patent and they are aggressively enforcing licensing issues.  Which is highly amusing to me in the world of open-source software.  They're just shooting themselves in the foot.  But honestly what they're probably doing is just trying to win as much in the court and out of the court through licensing fees as they can before 2012 when the patent expires.

Have you looked at licensing fees?  They're outrageous.

http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/

Anyways...
The best thing to do when your philosophies don't stand up to debate is to lock the thread and claim victory.
Kayiaxo
Trained
Trained

Post by Kayiaxo »

Rman Virgil wrote: --------------

* The Vorbis FAQ has a lot of great info & is worth checking out.

* It is likely that any music that is FREE utilizes this format for many reasons.

* But if you have music in MP3 format you can deal with it as follows (from the Vorbis FAQ):

* You can find conversion scripts HERE

Cheers, RV :)
Thanks for the link RV.
Sadly enough although most of them don't run under windows.