Models by Jorzi (AR)

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Re: Models by Jorzi (AR)

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Wooooooooooowww!!! *drool* The new specular shady goodness looks f'ing FANTASTIC! Extremely nice!

"Cheese for everyone! Wait -- scratch that. Cheese for no one. That's just as much of a celebration if you don't like cheese."

- Sheogorath, Lord of the Never-There.

:lol2:
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

@Slye_fox: Yeah, that would be highly desirable, wonder how hard it will be to implement. Btw is it your tank model? it looks nice ;)
@Goth Glad you like it :)
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
CyclonatorZ
Trained
Trained

Post by CyclonatorZ »

Honestly, I feel like the cannons are the only first tier turret that nobody has nailed yet. Neither Jorzi's or Mangust's have the distinctive grey grill-things on the sides, and both their bases feels a bit off. I realize the old model was essentially a six sided polygon with a stick, but I still think a better likeness can be achieved in the new models. That's just my view, though.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

Jorzi wrote:Almost forgot to post it here:
Preliminary export results indicate that mangust's new cannon models have serious awesomeness potential :D
(yes, I screwed up the scale, who cares :twisted: )

Also, cathuria's hellstorm model is now baked. final polycount is 153 :)
the models that are shown here - totally awesome. now, how soon till they are in game. NOW!! would be good.... :3 :)
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

btw, Jorzi, I've just realized that tanget-space normal maps could really improve terrain textures, mostly because of functions that nvidia's photoshop NormalMapfilter has. I can easily create bump maps(as I created regular terrain textures) and then convert them into the normal maps. :roll:
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Whoa, it looks like we're getting the new models in-game; I am very happy with this.

I, of course, agree with MaNGusT: The color saturation seems a bit off. While the new models are far superior to the old ones, I like the old colors better.

Is it just me, or do the new sensor turrets appear a lot flatter? I think Pumpkin baked some fake depth into the texture that can be reproduced.
Slye_Fox
Trained
Trained

Post by Slye_Fox »

Jorzi wrote:@Slye_fox: Yeah, that would be highly desirable, wonder how hard it will be to implement. Btw is it your tank model? it looks nice ;)
Yeah,
It's the Apocalypse Assault Tank from my Red Alert 3 mod; CnC: Condition Red
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

look - color saturation does not matter - what matters is getting them in game. we can tweak the color saturation later. on some monitors, color saturation maters not. on some it is a "thing to fix"... just get the models in and work on the tweaking later. thanks. :)
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

lav_coyote25 wrote:look - color saturation does not matter - what matters is getting them in game. we can tweak the color saturation later. on some monitors, color saturation maters not. on some it is a "thing to fix"... just get the models in and work on the tweaking later. thanks. :)
:wink:
Jorzi wrote:@Mangust: yeah, the contrast is a bit too great and needs to be fixed at some point... However, I think we should ignore it for now and leave it to the remastering
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

MaNGusT wrote:
lav_coyote25 wrote:look - color saturation does not matter - what matters is getting them in game. we can tweak the color saturation later. on some monitors, color saturation maters not. on some it is a "thing to fix"... just get the models in and work on the tweaking later. thanks. :)
:wink:
Jorzi wrote:@Mangust: yeah, the contrast is a bit too great and needs to be fixed at some point... However, I think we should ignore it for now and leave it to the remastering

:3 thanks.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

@lav_Coyote: If having it as a downloadable mods counts as "in the game", they already are. Try it out ;)
@Mangust: About normal maps for the ground: It would actually be much easier to implement than for models, since we know the u and v directions. Someone would need to enable shaders for the ground, though (it could have its own shader). I wonder how hard it would be to enable this...
@Zarel: They baked in quite a lot of depth. I'll try to fix the flatness at some point (I'll probably amplify both the normal map and color texture)
ImageImage
cathuria
Art contributor

Post by cathuria »

Your rendition of the Hellstorm looks terrific -- I'm glad you were able to make use of the mesh.
Keep up the great work :)
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Thanks cathuria :)
It's really much faster to do modelling when you have an excellent highpoly to work from, especially if you also get the textures for free. I may, however, need to do a few changes to the colors to make it fit the overall theme better, if you don't mind. (The most radical one is of course to allow for teamcolors)
ImageImage
cathuria
Art contributor

Post by cathuria »

Jorzi wrote:Thanks cathuria :)
I may, however, need to do a few changes to the colors to make it fit the overall theme better, if you don't mind. (The most radical one is of course to allow for teamcolors)
Of course; the colors I used were never intended to be used within the game anyhow :P
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Jorzi already addressed the "in game" half (not to mention that the simple fact that the screenshot was of the game should kind of make it obvious that it's already in game), so I'm going to say that at this point, yes, color saturation does matter. It might not matter for everyone, but it does matter. And it does make a difference on every monitor: I'm talking about relative saturation, not absolute saturation.

Secondly, why would we have to wait until it's in the game to do tweaking? Artists should be able to discuss what they think of a model at any point in the creation process, and I'd always thought that the earlier something's brought up, the better.