Why don't you play master/snapshot releases?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Why don't you play master/snapshot releases?

Post by effigy »

This Staff post had me thinking, "Why don't more people play the master snapshot releases?"

These are a few main reasons why I don't:
  1. The performance/smoothness/fps is not as good as 2.3.8 in Multiplayer
  2. Trap Cursor is broken.
  3. No more magical knowledge of the enemy's unit production (I think this could be "ok" if sensors had a much larger range (2x) but would need to test).
  4. Targeting.
  5. No one else plays it.
I'm not sure what can be done to relieve the community of the performance issues aside from everyone who wants to play MP buying a brand new top-of-the-line gaming PC... but I'm sure that's not going to happen. I hope performance issues get resolved soon... there many other good features, (such as queing build orders to holograms, and viewing team mates research progress).

Also (this is trivial), as a native speaker of English I think it'd be more sensible to call master releases snapshots. It just seems silly to me to keep referring to ever-changing builds as "master" :lol2:
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Why don't you play master/snapshot releases?

Post by Per »

What is wrong with targeting in master?
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Per wrote:What is wrong with targeting in master?
Oh.. oops. I was thinking about 'shooting through stuff'
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Asgorath
Trained
Trained

Post by Asgorath »

Master still uses the "new" power system which I dislike but I try to test it. Sadly when clicking on MP all available games are for 2.3.6/7/8... :(
devastator
Trained
Trained

Post by devastator »

I love it, but I can't change resolution. If I could, I would ahave already forgot other releases forever
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Asgorath wrote:Master still uses the "new" power system which I dislike but I try to test it. Sadly when clicking on MP all available games are for 2.3.6/7/8... :(
Oops... I knew I was forgetting something. :stressed:
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Mostly #2 and #5, and the reason for #5 is #1 :oops:
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

NoQ wrote:Mostly #2 and #5, and the reason for #5 is #1 :oops:
That's my assumption as well.
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

If you use windows I can give you an AutoIt script to fix issue 2 in full screen but I wouldn't work very well for windowed if you want to move the window or access any thing outside the window. It wouldn't be hard to make it toggle able with a hot key and/or make it automatically resize to fit the active window, but you would have to do that yourself.
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

About performance.... Even on my big honking machine it STILL runs at ~15 - 20 fps!! It is just that the engine is not optimized at all - it was written back in the days when 3d was new for FPSes. IMHO what we really need is a new rendering engine. Although that would be a lot of work, it would:

1. Implement Lots of new API features for models etc
2. Increase performance
3. Move to a more stable codebase

-regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

milo christiansen wrote:If you use windows I can give you an AutoIt script to fix issue 2 in full screen but I wouldn't work very well for windowed if you want to move the window or access any thing outside the window. It wouldn't be hard to make it toggle able with a hot key and/or make it automatically resize to fit the active window, but you would have to do that yourself.
Hmm... I use WinXP, but why would I want trap cursor in fullscreen mode?

Would I be able to alt+tab to another window and free the mouse cursor by doing that?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

effigy wrote:Hmm... I use WinXP, but why would I want trap cursor in fullscreen mode?
Two monitors.
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

The only way to free the cursor with the script as I use it is to close the trap program :wink: but it wouldn't be hard to make it use a hot key

I'll upload a copy in a day or two (or three) but its written for "personal use" which means that it works... for me, and I never put any effort into making it do anything but barely work.

Oh, and the code has no comments :( I'll add a few before I upload, there are a few things about it that are not obvious.

If someone with a different monitor setup was to use it unmodified it might or might not work.

Its best if you know AutoIt before you try to use it :P
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
kracker
Trained
Trained

Post by kracker »

#1,#3, and #4.
Error: Keyboard not found. Press any key to continue.
~Co-Founder of the clan BDC.
ODDity
Trained
Trained

Post by ODDity »

None of the above! Because I do! :P