Qt

For code related discussions and questions
Rider
Trained
Trained

Re: Qt

Post by Rider »

I find the decision for using Qt specifically a little odd, but then I'm not completely up to date with the alternatives (maybe someone who is can elaborate on the pros and cons)

However, I AM a gamer and know this:

The game is currently unbearably slow... and that's just the MP set up menu. It's completely unplayable.

And that saddens me :(
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Rider wrote:The game is currently unbearably slow... and that's just the MP set up menu. It's completely unplayable.
Do you mean that the Qt snapshot is unbearably slow, while the master snapshot is fast? If so, please post the details of your machine specs (gpu and drivers), and what FPS numbers you get in either.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

On my Quad core 4gb ram nvidia gt 240 1GB machine I get ~20fps average.
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

macuser wrote:On my Quad core 4gb ram nvidia gt 240 1GB machine I get ~20fps average.
That's unbearably slow I would think considering your specs.
Also known as Subsentient.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

macuser wrote:On my Quad core 4gb ram nvidia gt 240 1GB machine I get ~20fps average.
And again I ask: Is this from the Qt snapshot, or the master snapshot, and what fps count did you get on the other snapshot?
Rider
Trained
Trained

Post by Rider »

I checked this between the QT build on the front page, and the 2.3.7 build that's also on there.

The QT Build, and only that one, averages 0 fps when I'm hosting a game. It's literally impossible to get into the game.

Here are my specs:

Processor: Intel i7 920 (@2.67GhZ)
RAM: 2GB DDR3 (at above 1GhZ)
Ati Radeon HD 5770
Windows XP

I tried the QT build on a laptop of mine as well, with the same results. The laptop had an i5 @ 2.53GhZ and an Nvidia GeForce GT 425M card. It was running Windows 7 Ultimate at the time of testing.
Last edited by Rider on 22 Apr 2011, 12:25, edited 3 times in total.
BunkerBlaster
Trained
Trained

Post by BunkerBlaster »

Per wrote: And again I ask: Is this from the Qt snapshot, or the master snapshot, and what fps count did you get on the other snapshot?
Duo Core 2.7 GHZ, 800 mhz fsb, Nvidia 6150 256 MB (Windows XP SP3)
Rush map average 30 fps both sdl and QT
But the QT version does not go to location when you click on radar map, it jumps short distance.

10c-ntw10
Surprisingly ntw10 map is 40 fps for both sdl and qt until there are vtols.
SDL version is 30 fps average at the time of vtols flying around, radar map goes to location when clicked, fps does not change.
The QT Version is 26 to 29 fps average at the time of vtols flying around. Clicking on radar map makes fps go to zero and does not go to location. After it drops to 0 from clicking radar map, the fps goes back up several seconds later.

10c-ntw10 map if played after AI makes a ton of units becomes unplayable for both versions. SDL version drops to 6 fps and stays there. QT version drops to 2 fps and stays there.
BunkerBlaster
Trained
Trained

Post by BunkerBlaster »

If I change my screen resolution to 1280 x 1024 and textures to 2048, I then got 20 fps like macuser. If you want a accurate comparison I suggest it is done with a saved game at a certain point in time. Then players can load the saved game and report back with the fps and also specify their machine specs and screen resolution for both QT and SDL.

But there is one thing I'm unclear with, I no longer have the previous master, wasn't it set to 30 fps in the config?
Asgorath
Trained
Trained

Post by Asgorath »

BunkerBlaster wrote:If I change my screen resolution to 1280 x 1024 and textures to 2048, I then got 20 fps like macuser. If you want a accurate comparison I suggest it is done with a saved game at a certain point in time. Then players can load the saved game and report back with the fps and also specify their machine specs and screen resolution for both QT and SDL.

But there is one thing I'm unclear with, I no longer have the previous master, wasn't it set to 30 fps in the config?
May this be a reason why I have huge slowdowns as well?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7692&start=15#p79676

How can I test/see how many fps I have?
I would reinstall qt to test and give feedback
BunkerBlaster
Trained
Trained

Post by BunkerBlaster »

In your Warzone config file

showFPS=0
Toggles the display of the frames per seconds on (1) and off (0).
Asgorath
Trained
Trained

Post by Asgorath »

BunkerBlaster wrote:In your Warzone config file

showFPS=0
Toggles the display of the frames per seconds on (1) and off (0).
Great, thank you. I am going to test it. I am enquiring which result will emerge.
Fastdeath
Trained
Trained

Post by Fastdeath »

you can do that ingame too, type "showfps" into the chat console.
Nightly builds available here see buildbot for more infos about them
Lobby Server: here and here
SharpFlame the new WZ Map Editor
Asgorath
Trained
Trained

Post by Asgorath »

I played for almost 1:10h and my fraps stayed steady between 54 and 60.
But I still had huge slowdowns of the camera.
I noticed that the slowdowns just appear when I try to move the camera very fast. When I moved it slowly and with caution everything was fine. I guess that Warzone can´t reload all the textures in the background in time when moving the camera very fast and that is why the camera gets stuck, moves a bit, gets stuck, moves a bit...
BunkerBlaster
Trained
Trained

Post by BunkerBlaster »

And the camera problem is only the QT version right? Nice to see you can play at 60 fps. I obviously need a new card.
Asgorath
Trained
Trained

Post by Asgorath »

BunkerBlaster wrote:And the camera problem is only the QT version right? Nice to see you can play at 60 fps. I obviously need a new card.
I do have some problems with the camera in the normal master as well. But they are far smaller compared to the one in Qt. Funnily it´s the first master I do have camera problems with. So there seemed to be a change between master 20110228 and 20110320 causing it.
But like I said, really annoying it only is in Qt.

The most important information about my Computer:
-> MS Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit SP1
-> Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 @ 2.66GHz
-> 4.0GB Dual-Kanal DDR2 @ 400MHz
-> ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5KPL-AM EPU
-> LL 3220W (1680x1050@59Hz)
-> 896MB GeForce GTX 260 (nVidia)
(Source: Piriform Speccy v1.10.248)