Very old player returning...

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
mefy
Greenhorn

Very old player returning...

Post by mefy »

Hello all. I used to play this game on Gamespy online back in 1999 and 2000... way back then! I thought this game died a long time ago until one day I googled "Warzone2100" and here I am! I am go glad that so many people cared about this game enough to get the source code and make a better game and keep it alive!

Just a note, when I used to play this game on gamespy, everyone used to play the same teamwar map, usually T3, and everyone would always make Mantis/Hover/Heave Cannon tanks until usually later in the game, also a very specific build order. Is this still the same for T3 games? I ask this because I have virtually no clue as to what was changed in the game, though I did notice that half-builds no longer exist in the game! Phew.

Anyways, I would appreciate some feedback, i'm sure ill get back up and running in no time.. i still remember my old build-strat and all the keybindings from 10 years ago it seems :P
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: Very old player returning...

Post by NoQ »

Even since i started playing this game (around a year probably), a lot of balance (and more) changes happened. You'd have a lot of new things to learn. Welcome back (:
mefy
Greenhorn

Post by mefy »

What's new? lol. I want to know what's 'in' in terms of what the majority of players now use/play style. Thanks!
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

What were half builds?

hover/mantis/HC would probably do OK as a starting unit in a T3 game, though if the other team goes straight for Ground Shakers or Ripples you'll be in trouble. If so, you'll want something on tracks.

Also, most of the good players these days prefer T1 games on maps with standard/low oil, and sometimes high oil. However, there's still plenty of games hosted with flat, uninteresting terrain, and a large clump of oil in the corner of the "base".
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

mefy wrote:Hello all. I used to play this game on Gamespy online back in 1999 and 2000... way back then!
Welcome back! It's always interesting to see players who've played the original Warzone. You guys get to see everything that's changed since then! ^_^
mefy wrote:Just a note, when I used to play this game on gamespy, everyone used to play the same teamwar map, usually T3, and everyone would always make Mantis/Hover/Heave Cannon tanks until usually later in the game, also a very specific build order. Is this still the same for T3 games?
Nope, the game's a lot more diverse now. :D A guy named Troman fixed some of the issues, and I've fixed some others. A lot of weaker weapons have been buffed, and a lot of stronger weapons have been nerfed.

The lancer damage bug was fixed, so lancers are pretty viable. They do barely no damage against cyborgs and walls now. Cannons, on the other hand, are a bit better against cyborgs and walls than they used to be.
mefy wrote:Anyways, I would appreciate some feedback, i'm sure ill get back up and running in no time.. i still remember my old build-strat and all the keybindings from 10 years ago it seems :P
See that "Guide" button in the upper navigation bar? I made that. ^_^ Well, BlueMaxima helped write some of the articles, but I did everything else. And I don't mean to brag, but it's a pretty good guide. You should check it out. :D

http://guide.wz2100.net/

Here's a good guide for beginners: http://guide.wz2100.net/earlygamestrategy
effigy wrote:What were half builds?
You used to be able to stop building a bunker right after starting it (before power was done allocating), and get a wall for practically no power. That trick was fixed a while ago. A half-built wall is still just as good as a full wall, though. That's fixed in the master builds, but not in 2.3.7.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Zarel wrote: You used to be able to stop building a bunker right after starting it (before power was done allocating), and get a wall for practically no power. That trick was fixed a while ago. A half-built wall is still just as good as a full wall, though. That's fixed in the master builds, but not in 2.3.7.
Oh right, most people use power generators for this, in 2.3.7, to protect mg towers.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Most people, you say? I can hardly name 10 ... :lol2:
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

are there more than 12 online? :P :D
mefy
Greenhorn

Post by mefy »

Power gen builds are nothing compared to what I remember... I remember ppl laying down 20+ lancer bunkers in mere seconds and being able to hide an army behind them without getting touched. It was a part of the game really... everyone learned to do them. But now that they are gone its quite a different game...
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I sometimes also tend to reduce the warzone community to the IRC channel, but this is rather wrong, i believe. There are SUDDENLY a lot of good players around that i never seen on IRC or forums (and that's a pity i didn't)
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

I played with and against mefy yesterday. No big and interesting game :( . But enough to understand that this guy is a player to take into account for balance.

He do every tricks that noobs doesn't. It's a matter of days before he get the real twist of the new balance. Beware.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
mefy
Greenhorn

Post by mefy »

Is there a place that has all the changes made to the gameplay of WZ since 1.10original? I am having much difficulty as T1 games progress to late games... there seems to be A LOT of changes since 1.10 :O. Such as... today I found out that pulse lasers can hit vtols...

I would appreciate any help... I tried reading some changelog files but they were difficult to navigate...
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

mefy wrote:Is there a place that has all the changes made to the gameplay of WZ since 1.10original? I am having much difficulty as T1 games progress to late games... there seems to be A LOT of changes since 1.10 :O. Such as... today I found out that pulse lasers can hit vtols...

I would appreciate any help... I tried reading some changelog files but they were difficult to navigate...
This contains the balance changes from 2008 to 2010 (all the ones I made):
http://guide.wz2100.net/rebalance

It omits the more recent balance changes after I quit (iirc, machineguns and cannons were buffed).

Or, as a summary, the biggest changes:

- Plasma Cannon is now a cannon rather than a laser, decently ranged, and its prerequisites have been changed a lot
- Flashlight, Pulse Laser, Mini-Pod, and Hyper Velocity Cannon can target air now
- Heavy Laser is now a long-range weapon
- Mini-Rockets and Rockets now share the same upgrade tree, and the rocket upgrade bug has been fixed
- Angel Missiles have been removed, and replaced with Seraph Missiles, which are a T3 version of the Mini-Rocket Artillery
- Sunburst AA (rocket) and Flak Cannon (cannon) have been introduced as AA weapons
- There is also a dedicated air-to-air Sunburst weapon
- Bombs, flamers, cyborgs, assault cannons, etc have all been buffed, and are now actually worth using
- You can now mount two weapons on the Dragon body

- A new weapon type, "All-Rounder", has been introduced. Cannons and rails are now All-Rounder instead of Anti-Tank
- The old weapon type Anti-Tank now does significantly less damage to walls and cyborgs than it used to
- Splash damage actually means something now - notable weapons with splash damage include cannons, rails, mortars, howitzers, and bombs
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

- Rail guns now have penetrating damage, hitting units behind the primary target (like flamers do); this makes them deadly against big unit masses.
Project
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Project »

Playing the hard campaign mod and half building stuff really helps out on some of the more unfair missions.

Anyway, welcome back. The campaign is the best thing about this game.