The VAT maps -The War of Sand Dunes-

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
VAT
Greenhorn

The VAT maps -The War of Sand Dunes-

Post by VAT »

Hi to all, this is my first post... ,i was working in a map, using Flame, this is the presentation of mi first oficial map, im working with it, i want to present it for listen suggestions about it.

Dudes!! the Sand Dune war map 1.1 version is finished... here the new screenshots...... get it in this post... xD

VAT productions, presents:

The War of Sand Dunes

The War of Sand dunes its an special skirsmish map, 240x240, for 8 players, it was designed with asimetrical laws,and results an organical map,there you can enjoy a great ground battles (in a idilic desert scemario) ,against the computer or other players.

The optimal battles succes with 4 players against other 4 players (computer or human).

The area can be dominated taking the control of the Central Valley of Dunes. its a big valley and comunicate two big areas (4 players for area), on this central valley, you will see a great ground battles because the caracteristics of terrain and the beautiful dunes, like sand dunes of Sahara.

map 3D preview version 1.0

map 3D preview version 1.1

DOWNLOAD

Versión. 1.0
Obsolete
Version 1.1
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LW9MLSI9

Nearly....Get it, in http://addons.wz2100.net/ ,(if they aprove it :P )

:wink:
Last edited by VAT on 12 Mar 2011, 22:22, edited 14 times in total.
"And then ... I thought .... I could put a medium cannon in my Citroen"
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Re: The First VAT's map.

Post by milo christiansen »

Looks Cool I'll have to download it as soon as its aproved. :)
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
Brisingr
Trained
Trained

Post by Brisingr »

I like the looks of it :D

You made better dunes than me for my new map I think XD

I will download as soon as I can.
The world will only achive peace through the fire of war.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Why not post the map file here if you would like feedback now before it is judged in Add Ons ? :3

Your topographic asymmetric naturalism looks beautifully interesting in the screenshots. :D

How you met the challenges (posed by that very asymmetry) of player position balance, along with resource balance, & broad spectrum tactical opportunities (as opposed to monolithic) can only be appreciated by actually playing the map. :hmm:

- Yebo, sanibonani, RV 8)
VAT
Greenhorn

Post by VAT »

Thanks for replys,dudes. I posted to see the reception of the VAT maps. :P

The map is developing (im a rookie map maker :P).....

"the challenges of player position balance, along with resource balance, & broad spectrum tactical opportunities" i can describe this phrase in a one word: Total chaos ( :P not so much in fact ;))

actually im working to fix the asymmetry problems, and improve the landscape of mountains (they results too high in some cases).

Initally, the resource balance results low, i prefer scenarios with low resource level ;).
In any case, if someone want to give me some advice, i appreciatte this.

When i finish the Sand dune war 1.1 version, i will post the map file.

Moreover, im making 3 more maps, with differents themes , but with assymmetry and organical law's :P nearly, i will talk about them at this post.

PD: seriously, sorry for my english :P
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

VAT wrote:Thanks for replys,dudes. I posted to see the reception of the VAT maps. :P

The map is developing (im a rookie map maker :P).....
We all began as rookies. :wink: After thousands of symmetrical WZ maps over the last 11 years I think we are all yet rookies when it comes to making balanced asymmetric maps with organic topography. It's the great challenge in map making artistry going forward.... It can be achieved but you have to be able to think out of the box and design in 4D. :3
VAT wrote:"the challenges of player position balance, along with resource balance, & broad spectrum tactical opportunities" i can describe this phrase in a one word: Total chaos ( :P not so much in fact ;))
In Akido training / practice we call it Taninsu Gake. O_o
VAT wrote:actually im working to fix the asymmetry problems, and improve the landscape of mountains (they results too high in some cases).
It's a lot of work on a 250 x 250 balanced asymmetric map with organic topography, no doubt about it.
VAT wrote:Initally, the resource balance results low, i prefer scenarios with low resource level ;).
In any case, if someone want to give me some advice, i appreciatte this.
Advice can only come through play testing - no way around that.
VAT wrote:When i finish the Sand dune war 1.1 version, i will post the map file.
Look forward to that. :D
VAT wrote:Moreover, im making 3 more maps, with differents themes , but with assymmetry and organical law's :P nearly, i will talk about them at this post.
I look forward to that as well. :hmm:

- Yebo, sanibonani, RV. 8)
VAT
Greenhorn

Re: The VAT maps

Post by VAT »

Rman Virgil: Thanks for your replys ,man. :) I'm happy to talk to other fans on warzone ;P im thinking about your comments ;)

I dont know (at the moment) :roll: ,how to optimize the position of players (especially,in battles against computer), but ,to solve the problems with road traffic during the game, I prefer to design scenarios with wide walkways, to facilitate the movement of tanks and other vehicles. :hmm: :| :? O_o

"little by little" 8) ("poco a poco" ....it is a local Spanish expression) ... I'll be improving the maps and ideas I have about it (I like the warzone and take 4 years playing with it...and therefore continue to work with it), I posted this article to see the reception of the maps (pure merchandising for the VAT maps ;))... you see... in my country, People do not play (or know, usually) the warzone 2100 :hmm: , and I can not enjoy making maps for others, now (after learning this forum) and knowing the interest of many (very many) for this (great) game, Maps will deserved: P ;P

But try not to talk too much :zZz: (i hope), and expect to introduce one of the maps, to compare your ideas and suggestions.

:lecture: Long live to the warzone!

PD: my spanglish..... :oops:
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

I finally had an opportunity to play sand dunes, and I think it's an interesting concept. The only strong balance issue I detect is that the plateau separating base 0 from base 7 is much easily accessed from base 7. This poses an potentially overwhelming artillery attack on base 0. I suggest adding a ramp closer to base 0.

As for looks, it's relatively plain, which is more-or-less fine for a desert them (though an oasis or two might spruce things up a bit).

Are you using flame? I recommend getting familiar with its texture painting tab to take advantage of texture blending made easy. Playing from base 0 I noticed quite a few hard texture transitions.

Back to that plateau separating base 0 and base 7, here a good example of a place that would benefit from more height variation. Try adding some inaccessible ledges (or accessible, I suppose) to vary the tall cliff face.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

VAT wrote:Rman Virgil: Thanks for your replys ,man. :) I'm happy to talk to other fans on warzone ;P im thinking about your comments ;)
Que bueno. :)
VAT wrote:I dont know (at the moment) :roll: ,how to optimize the position of players (especially,in battles against computer), but ,to solve the problems with road traffic during the game, I prefer to design scenarios with wide walkways, to facilitate the movement of tanks and other vehicles. :hmm: :| :? O_o
Por supuesto esa es una forma importante de reducir embotellamientos. Couple others would be GW placements and also the placement of oil up for grabs relationship between passable and impassable terrain as far as scouting trucks.
VAT wrote:"little by little" 8) ("poco a poco" ....it is a local Spanish expression) ... I'll be improving the maps and ideas I have about it (I like the warzone and take 4 years playing with it...and therefore continue to work with it), I posted this article to see the reception of the maps (pure merchandising for the VAT maps ;))... you see... in my country, People do not play (or know, usually) the warzone 2100 :hmm: , and I can not enjoy making maps for others, now (after learning this forum) and knowing the interest of many (very many) for this (great) game, Maps will deserved: P ;P
"Poco a poco" - creo que es el mejor consejo para lo que han decidido a dominar. Todos los días, poco a poco, con una pasión por aprender y totalmente abrazar errores en el camino como oportunidades. Eso es simplemente el gran secreto de la maestría en cualquier cosa que llega amar como creador .. :3

VAT wrote:PD: my spanglish..... :oops:
For a Puertorriqueño who grew up in New York City Spanglish is como ver a un viejo amigo de nuevo después de pasar un largo tiempo. :D

- Yebo, sanibonani, RV. :hmm:
VAT
Greenhorn

Post by VAT »

Dudes!! the Sand Dune war map 1.1 version is finished... here the new screenshots...... nearly get in in addons... xD

effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Don't forget to give the new version a unique file name when you compile it :)

Otherwise it would be possible for people to play the old version and the new version at the same time :o
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
VAT
Greenhorn

Post by VAT »

take here the 1.1 version of The War of Sand Dunes map.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LW9MLSI9

and enjoy!
Last edited by VAT on 12 Mar 2011, 00:16, edited 2 times in total.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

effigy wrote:Don't forget to give the new version a unique file name when you compile it :)

Otherwise it would be possible for people to play the old version and the new version at the same time :o
edit: This map needs to be recompiled with a unique name before it is hosted in the lobby. Assuming the map name doesn't excede the character limit this is as simple as adding "v1.1" to the end of the map name.
VAT
Greenhorn

Post by VAT »

i compile and rename the map, with "WarDunes", and up it in addons page. ;)
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Excellent, thanks :)