unit movement

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Sento
Trained
Trained

unit movement

Post by Sento »

theres something really annoing about the movement of units:
When a unit from the frontline want to go to the basis (as exemple to repair) and there is not so much movement space (3-5 tiles) the other units usuall stand in his way so that the units from the frontline cannot move back and the units from behind cannot move to the frontline. When i use  the "go back to autorepair" mode then that is very annoing
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Re: unit movement

Post by themousemaster »

annoying indeed, though I make sure to include it in my strategy... engage enemy groups with them inside of a chokepoint (my own group at its exit) for maximum killing potential.
trueblues
Greenhorn

Post by trueblues »

Perhaps they can do something like formation? Will be cool.
Solitaire
Trained
Trained

Post by Solitaire »

It's still quite a problem... I don't mind units getting slowed down in cramped confines while they make room for movement - that's tactics. What's annoying is retreating units charging into ones behind them and clogging everything up while their asses are handed to them - that's exploitation (or just damn annoying if you're on the receiving end! >:( ) Poor inter-unit pathing has always been a problem, and will really hurt the effect of Watermelon's projectile physics when its fully implemented as friendly units will mill around and block the firing lines of vehicles behind them.
superdau
Greenhorn

Post by superdau »

Yeah, I thought that, too. I had tanks standing head to head for minutes as one tried to get home for repairs and another just returning to the front. They didn't stand still, but moved all the time. Still they never could get around one another, although there was space for at least for in parallel.
At other times I had a bulk of 10 to 15 tanks standing, when one bumped into them. The whole bunch never stopped moving until I moved them all somewhere else. It's really annoying when you always hear the moving tanks, but no enemy is coming.
Or you have tanks set to long range attack while they shoot at turrets which can't fire back only to have ONE other tank coming near them which somehow causes them all to move in the line of fire.

Units always start doing wide circles, which is often deadly in a fight. Ever heard of reverse gear? Tanks can turn on the spot, but they only do when blocked by terrain. If a unit moves to far ahead it's often better to let it die there than to try to retreat it, because in the process it would shuffle all the other units around.

This is one of the things that really has to be changed!
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

Nice story and request. Put it on the wishlist. Now as for reviving months old topics, please don't.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

sure it is old... but... maybe not to him - he obviously thought this out... sometimes all it takes is for someone to say... oh! yes! thats what we forgot.. thanks...  ok?
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
superdau
Greenhorn

Post by superdau »

Sorry, the topic may have been old, but at least for my search words in the forum it was the newest entry I found. And as the problem (which not only I have, it seems) still exists, and the contents in the thread are all fully valid, I thought I'll add myself to the list instead of creating a new thread.
I really like the game, but it's just that something kept me from playing the original game to the end, and now I think I found what it was. It feels like you don't have real control over the units, if you hit "stop" or "hold position" repeatedly and the units still move.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

I'm a big fan of the "don't necropost topics" theory as well, but the qualifier is, you don't do it because what you brought back from the depths what is no longer relevant.  As this is still techincally relevant, posting in this thread is 100X better than starting a new one.
fryBASS
Greenhorn

Post by fryBASS »

themousemaster wrote: I'm a big fan of the "don't necropost topics" theory as well, but the qualifier is, you don't do it because what you brought back from the depths what is no longer relevant.  As this is still techincally relevant, posting in this thread is 100X better than starting a new one.
Exactly.  It's not like he's just bringing back the thread just to say "yeah!  do that!"  he actually had some input to it.
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

fryBASS wrote: Exactly.  It's not like he's just bringing back the thread just to say "yeah!  do that!"  he actually had some input to it.
You are entirely correct, I admit that. I also admit that I probably was a bit too fast to judge that.

Now your post on the other hand is reviving an old thread while being off-topic.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
Kayiaxo
Trained
Trained

Post by Kayiaxo »

I also would like to see the unit pathfinding improved.
If possible also make units better at finding a position to stop.
When you move a group somewhere everyone finds its place except one/few who hit the others and they try to find new places and start getting dispersed.
Sometimes I've also seen some tanks starting to circle around for no reason.
Credits to Kacen for making the image.