WZ League Resurrection

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
NoQ
Special
Special

WZ League Resurrection

Post by NoQ »

Germanium's WZ League was a very fruitful idea, but was certainly way too inconvenient and painful to keep working manually. So here's a somewhat more automated solution (:
This is a website that keeps all records and calculates all ratings automatically. You get an account on it and you can submit games you played through a simple form on the site. The rule is simple: Looser submits! Every time you loose a game considered to be a "league game", you should immediately submit it, and the ratings are adjusted accordingly. Thus, this project still relies on nobility of the players, not too much though. Here is somewhat longer description: League Rules ;)

Registering:

To register yourself in this league, you should ask for it here, or PM one of the "moderators" in any convenient way. The list of moderators is sticked on the main page and currently includes me (also known as NoQ) and tmp500 (also known as tmp500[BDC]). We're not making automated registration, because we want to make sure that league members are also community members. Heck, there are way too many reasons for not doing it automatic (: (: Please include the name you want for your league account when you ask for it (: Moderator will then provide you with an initial password, and you should change it as soon as possible.

The new league uses slightly different rating calculation scheme:
  • * K-factor is set to 16 (it was 15 in the old league). This means that ratings change a little faster now.
    * "Provisional" ratings are introduced. Your rating changes quickly when you're new to the league. That way you'll get to your "real" position more quickly.
Discussing:

I think it's not too late yet to change a few things. We can discuss the league rules and the league website here in this thread or on IRC. Please report any bugs to me.

We're not transfering old ratings to the new league because:
  • * The ratings are calculated differently now;
    * Our data on old ratings is too inaccurate;
    * We didn't manage to get too far from 1000 anyway;
    * Hey, i'm the one who suffers the most from it, and even i don't care!
Also, please don't resubmit old games to the new league, because game order matters. Games should always be fresh.

Credits:
  • * Thanks tmp500 for providing a hosting for this league website (!!!) :3
    * Thanks j0shdrunk0nwar for correcting and improving my english (:
    * Thanks macuser for creating the League's logo!
    * All bug reports go to /me the coder XD
All who think they're tough enough are welcome to join!

Just mind the rules (:

Videos:

tmp500 has just started maintaining a video archive of the league games.
Last edited by NoQ on 10 Mar 2011, 10:10, edited 7 times in total.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Re: WZ League Resurrection

Post by effigy »

Sign me up please :)
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Done! Check out the PM.
Hope i guessed the name well enough (:
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I'll be unavailable for a few days. If anybody wants to join, probably tmp500 can arrange this (: :3
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Looks like i'm back! And it's nice to know that i've missed something! That is, everything seems to be working (:

One thing i want to encourage here is to make some sort of battle reports, or maybe video records of our games. Since very strong players gather here, this might make a good boost to the community and provide a lot of teaching materials (:

Hell, those catalyst drivers are crap ... they don't seem to support video capture :( Well, I'll do my best to record some of my games even if I'll have to use windows for this (!!)
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

I've noticed only the last 10 matches get displayed on the site, is there a complete archive somewhere?
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

hao wrote:
One thing i want to encourage here is to make some sort of battle reports, or maybe video records of our games. Since very strong players gather here, this might make a good boost to the community and provide a lot of teaching materials (:
Could also have the ancillary boon effect of inspiring map-makers to create fresh design variants & agreeable challenges in their work going forward.

- Regards, Rman :hmm:

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

effigy wrote:I've noticed only the last 10 matches get displayed on the site, is there a complete archive somewhere?
Yeah, right, and there's actually no good reason not to do an extra button for this; though keeping a full game log on the main page will eventually become unwise (:
All right, i'll do it (:
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Oh, I agree that only "recent" matches should be on the front page. I was just thinking it would be nice to be able to look back from time to time.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Done. Uh oh, looks like it's necessary to press "refresh" (usually "F5") explicitly (once) to update the style sheet, otherwise the game log will look ugly never mind :)
Last edited by NoQ on 08 Nov 2010, 16:28, edited 2 times in total.
Bruta
Greenhorn

Post by Bruta »

sign me up as well :)
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

We got more than asked for. Thanks hao :)
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Bruta wrote:sign me up as well :)
Just one little question before i do it: did you already manage to get a current version of the game working? :wink:
It won't make much sense if you can't play with most other players on the league.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

here is version 1 of the logo you asked me for... version 2 will have a metal wz2100 logo ;)
Attachments
Untitled21.png
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

ver 2 ,3 :)
Attachments
Untitled2122.png
Untitled212.png
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6