Ppl come and ppl go

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Ppl come and ppl go

Post by macuser »

Just thinking about all the people i have seen come to the warzone forums... how they arrive, become active on a project and then disappear form the face of the forums. I mean i have days weeks (even sometimes months) when I am busy but I can't see why people just leave like that (LOL it even happens in games in the lobby but that is irrelevant). i'm not referring to anyone per se but it seems there have been many that have passed on :|

anyhow, i just miss them :cry:
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Re: Ppl come and ppl go

Post by lav_coyote25 »

welcome to the last 10 years of my life. :3 XD
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

macuser wrote:I can't see why people just leave like that
Well, you can't dedicate your whole life to a game ;) Even if it's Warzone 2100 ;) (see also that "Eagle head Hydra Eagle Wings" on my avatar XD )
On the other hand, observing other communities suggests that the reason i point here is wrong or, at least, not the only one.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

macuser wrote:anyhow, i just miss them :cry:
Awww... need a hug? XD
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
WarTux
Trained
Trained

Post by WarTux »

Code: Select all

/me declares this day a Free Hug Day :D
/me forgets he's not on IRC. :stressed:
Warzone nicknames: WarTux[BDC], ChuckNorris-BDC, DeathStar, etc.
Part of the Black Dragon Clan; apply today, we welcome most! :3
On the Warzone IRC channel you can find me hanging out with the BDC dudes or messing with the bot.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Yes i am on IRC sometimes ;)
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

True... as far as posting. Quite a few vocal vets of the game just lurk these days, for various reasons. Still, I've PMed them &/or chatted with 'em now and then. Interesting directions they've taken with their passions in life... not a few linked to their original interest in this game.

Then there are those that still engage publicly after many years no matter how busy RL or being enraptured by other games. Diehards, I guess is the word. :3 Or, in some instances, WZ has led to a meta matrix of interests.

- Regards, Rman. 8)
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

So if you don't mind me asking, how did you get involved and (since you've been here for 10 years +) what is your current interest?

-regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

macuser wrote:So if you don't mind me asking, how did you get involved and (since you've been here for 10 years +) what is your current interest?

-regards macuser
In late '98 I was reading a game mag looking for a new strat game that was different than what I had been playing till then - SC, TA, WC, mostly. Came across an ad for the upcoming WZ and then looked up the community which was already rolling with game in the final stages of BETA & with some Demos circulating some months prior to the retail release. It was very active with lots of interesting, creative, folks from diverse backgrounds, of all ages, & which included the participation of Pumpkin developers and Eidos and MPlayer staffers. This culture exploded in numbers after retail release.

Pumpkin devs where encouraging as far as participating towards the end of evolving the game - very intoxicating that. Sense of humor was outstanding throughout the community and arrogance was quite rare. Started communicating directly with the Devs and hosting staffers which led to a staff position, also involvement with the game devs which led to specific changes - features introduced in patches that have since come to be regarded as the original WZ Canon, as well spearheading the release of the map editor which Pumpkin did not want to release & all this in turn carried over to a project formation called NEWST and a many year, one on one, relationship with WZ Creators who supported us after Pumpkin's Studio's official demise and which directly led to the eventual liberation of WZ's source code some 5 years after initial contact - engagement..

My current interests tied to WZ fall under the broad umbrella of Cognitive Neurology. Specifically: Cognitive Task Analysis, Cognitive Surplus, Cognitive Traps, Deep Fun - Flow States, Cognitive Rewiring of the brain to a shallow level as a consequence of Internet usage supplanting book reading, emerging digital media art forms in both the narrative and performance domains, the intersection of 21st Century RL Military and Virtual War gaming, esp. vis-a-vis A.I. ... & so forth.

That's it in brief. :3

- Regards, Rman 8)

macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Wow what a history! BTW why mplayer staffers? i can't see the connection between them and warzone?
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

macuser wrote:Wow what a history! BTW why mplayer staffers? i can't see the connection between them and warzone?
Yea... but I left out all the fantastic peeps I shared that journey with. Which brings us back to the subject of your thread. Fortunately, a couple years ago, I got to talk to many of them again after a long time. I suspect they drop in now and then because WZ will always hold a special place in their own journey through life. :)

MPlayer was the original, official, Net MP hosting service for Pumpkin Studios / Eidos WZ games. It was pretty cool for its day too. :3

- RV :hmm:
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

I'm still confused... this mplayer? http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

macuser wrote:I'm still confused... this mplayer? http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html

This one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPlayer.com

The history will give you an idea of size of the early community (& other inferences I just posted in Per's Warzone's power system thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5887&start=105 )

At it's height, we had 20 Million visitors per month ! :shock:

- Regards, RV :hmm:

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

One thing about linux users ... they leave much more rarely, because ... well ... they have nowhere to run :D :D :D
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

That's not true, it's because we (Linux users) love FOSS...

Free (as in freedom) and Open Source FTW!! And that's one of the reasons why this game is still alive after a decade!! :3
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce