A noobs return

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
ELITE_Machine
Greenhorn

A noobs return

Post by ELITE_Machine »

Hello. I registered here a few months back, but just recently am I trying to learn the game and become a great 1v1 player.
In the past week, I have played perhaps 8 1v1 games (which I've won), mainly on the map "High ground" (or something like this). I would like to start off by saying how I go about playing it.

I start off making a factory with both construction units, then proceed to an commander center, then making a research building followed up by a power generator, topped off with capping the oil dirks within the starting spots crater base. Out of the factory I build 2 construction units, one of which is alive before I finish the research plant. He assists the power generator, and him and the second built construction units go to cap the oil spots just outside my base. Once these builders have been made, I immediately begin making my machine gunners. The construction units that built the starting oil spots are now making a 2nd factory, proceeding to a second power generator. The other construction units are grabbing the oil barrels and oil spots in the middle. I usually get there first and claim 5 extra oil dirks.

Once I have all of this built, I often have 5 or so machine tanks in the middle. I send 3 or 4 to rush their outer oil dirks, taking down any construction units first. This often forces the other player into a defensive mode, Allowing me to have a 7 oil dirk advantage over him. By this time, I have a very expansive army of machine tanks out side his starting crater, which easily take out their defense structures, if built.

This usually spells the game for me. I would like any constructive criticism on my play style, or just flat out trolling would even be appreciated. I don't know if you guys have heard of this game, I believe it was made 2 or 3 years before Warzone 2100, called Total Annihilation? Thats where I come from, that community. The games there require intense micromanagement. Every second wasted could mean you lose. Very competitive.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Re: A noobs return

Post by macuser »

LOL hence the name :P "total anialation"
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

then proceed to an commander center, then making a research building
Not very effective. Command center is useless before you invent weapons in a research lab.

P.S. You may like this movie/discussion too.
ELITE_Machine
Greenhorn

Post by ELITE_Machine »

Yea, I recently figured this out :P. My build order has since changed.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

trying to learn the game and become a great 1v1 player.
Yeah, and if we'll ever reincarnate this thing (which is quite possible soon enough), it'd be a good place to show off and challenge your skills (:
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

But command centre looks cool :P
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Ubermad
Trained
Trained

Post by Ubermad »

Merowingg wrote:But command centre looks cool :P
That's true, it's the center of the base :D
yay, lolcakez! *omnomnomnom*
R Hannay
Trained
Trained

Post by R Hannay »

Usually when I play people tell me to build a few factory and research before anything else to get yourself moving.
just flat out trolling would even be appreciated.
That's the spirit! Welcome to the project
3drts
Trained
Trained

Post by 3drts »

Ok, so you saw the HQ error.

You might want to add a second factory before your power generator.

More tanks, faster, considering the "lost" power you could have generated while your trucks were building the factory, its pretty cheap, and your initial tanks numbers nearly double, sure, you spent another 100 of your starting power on a factory in addition to that, but by the time you've spent all your starting power, you should have been able to take all the middle oil with your tanks being "double pumped" from your factories.

5 tanks, now, is easily worth 10 tanks coming at you a few at a time.

When there is contestable oil, the extra oil you get from using two starting factories, not one, will definitely pay off.

BTW, most people online play the "noobish" NTW maps where you have max oil in your base, and its all about "opitmal build and research order", or research "strategy", rather than "geographic" strategy.

Squared is even worse, with the bottlenecks, I know some players, who are very hard to beat on a 2v2, who do not jointly hold any territory.
They just concentrate defenses on their chokepoint, and "turtle up".
When you have all the oil you need in your base, you don't need to leave it.
When the chokepoint is small enough, you don't need your ally's support, even if two enemies both attack you at once....
They just turtle up so they cant defend one another (at least until artillery and vtols), and race through the tech tree
And if you didn't keep up, you find yourself ground down by vtol strikes and artillery.

Good for you, you play low oil. High oil, for the competitive players, usually takes several hours for the situation to destabilize(it often seems like a stalemate, but if you keep going, just like WWI, eventually one side cannot keep up, and concedes defeat or collapses), and one team to win.
ELITE_Machine
Greenhorn

Post by ELITE_Machine »

Wow this makes sense too, making a second factory. Thanks for the support and wise words!
Nehellsan
Greenhorn

Post by Nehellsan »

I play rather defensively and i build a factory first, then a research centre, then another factory, then a cc
i research machinegun guard tower, and then use a very noob tactic, truck rush =D. I build mg guard towers near the opponents base. it usually holds off most machine gun tanks but when you get to the rockets theres a problem. but by then you should have a couple of mg tanks in which to defend with.