MAC OS X 10.7 has been previewed!!!

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
macuser
Regular
Regular

MAC OS X 10.7 has been previewed!!!

Post by macuser »

YES THIS IS THE DAY!!! steve jobs just previewed mac 10.7 lion :geek: :o :shock: :shock: :shock:

new macbook air:

new app store for mac (zarel should list wz2100 on it):

new face time for mac: Image

new iLife:

I'm SOO EXCITED i'm gonna buy it when it comes out!! http://www.apple.com/macosx/lion/
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: MAC OS X 10.7 has been previewed!!!

Post by stiv »

Let us all pray to Saint Jobs that the OpenGL drivers do not suck, lest the wailing of fanboys be heard across the land.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

OS X 10.6's drivers are more than enough for 3.0, so as long as there's a regression, we should be fine. ^_^

The bigger problem is the $99 entrance fee to the Mac App Store. I wonder if we can raise $99 in donations for it.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

well it would sure get warzone a LOT of publicity :)
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

macuser wrote:well it would sure get warzone a LOT of publicity :)
Maybe, but I still fail to see why people other than mac owners would want this.
Everyone else is locked out, so there really is no point in asking for donations when 99.1% of the userbase is windows / linux.
and it ends here.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Buginator wrote:Maybe, but I still fail to see why people other than mac owners would want this.
Everyone else is locked out, so there really is no point in asking for donations when 99.1% of the userbase is windows / linux.
Yes, because no one other than Mac users want more publicity for Warzone. Nope, the rest of us want Warzone to have as few users as possible, it sure is better that way.
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

As far as I know, I've never bought a single apple product. Yet I would still be willing to donate, I don't mind what system people use, they're still people and still a community.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Today (jan 6th) marks the day of the release of the mac app store.
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

crunch
Rookie
Rookie

Post by crunch »

i started with apple computers but then when i wanted a new one it would have cost me like 3x\4x times more then a ibm compatible so i changed camps.
why would i pay $3000 when i can get the same thing for $1000 hardware wise.

imho the biggest mistake of them all that apple made was not allowing others to make compatibles

and lastly their is no apple computers anymore seeing as they now use the same cpu and hardware as we all do making apple computers more or less just very expensive proprietary hardware\ibm compatibles :stare:
nice laptop though for what its worth.my self though im more in the camp of bigger is better

there we go one more satisfied customer.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

I fully agree with you.... about the hardware. If you note I have an AMD CPU (which is not part of any apple hardware). I built my own computer for $230 and then mac for $29 and viola (but it does take a good deal of hacking, patience and geekery).
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

crunch
Rookie
Rookie

Post by crunch »

you turned a ibm compatible in to a apple {os} computer nice ! that owns. :lol2:

apple parts are a total ripoff .i remember looking up a video card for apple computers not that long ago and the same one for ibm compatible was like $80 vs $500 .
worse part was with a bios flash the $80 card becomes the $500 one . :D
sh*t i should sell some using the moded bios trick and fake apple boxs just like the rest of the people selling apple video cards for a nice clean $350 ish profit .
what a scam

btw i did a once over on the net on the apple laptop in question .impressive stats for a laptop of its size but at $1000+tax that isn't cheap.

for the same price i could get a

ASUS K72 Series K72JR-B1
Intel Core i5 450M (2.4GHz)
4GB DDR3
Screen 17.3" HD+
full size keyboard
ATI Mobility Radeon HD5470 1GB DDR3 VRAM Dedicated Card
HDD 500GB

list gos on..

and ya i didn't spot the stats for some reason.they were being deceptively obvious.
System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB
how you pull that off for $230 O_o ?
and whats the deal with the $23 mac ? we talking like vintage mac computer here ?
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

kk, snow-leopard is $29 and well when I built the computer it cost me $230 for all the parts. Since then I have put in a second hard drive and a new graphics card. If you are interested in doing something similar, I could step you through the process ;)
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

My computer (built by me 2 years ago) is about half that fast and it cost me $350! Where did you get your parts?
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
crunch
Rookie
Rookie

Post by crunch »

i was thinking the same thing
lets do a once over part wise off newegg {usa}seeing as they have a good parts\price list online.
time for some ball park number crunching.

cpu:
cheapest amd x4 phenom II atm is 99+tax {so two years ago lets put it at $150+tax}
memory:
their was a crash in price for drr2 some time back so lets put this at $50 {-50% what it costs now}
case:
no name brand $50+tax {comes with a 500watt no name brand that's really a 250watt that pops at 300watts will replace that}
psu:
antec 500watt $80+tax
video:
gt 240 ..don't know if they made that back then but lets just put it at $100+tax for a decent card
hdd:
two years back for a 640gig lets say $100 with tax {1000gigs atm is like $70+tax us}
optical drives:
Lg dvd-rw $30+tax ...their cheap in more ways when one but get the job done as long as you don't go burn crazy {Plextor drive would cost 3x}

total $524 with tax
total with out video card {using integrated garbage video} $424

sorry to bash macuser but something smells wrong ;)
If you are interested in doing something similar, I could step you through the process
tnx .
mighty nice of you .
sadly i don't need the help seeing as im a pc hardware tech with over 20+ years experience on the topic so i have that part covered.

when i was saying i started with apple computers i meant this one and the one i had wasn't a legal apple ][+
it was a apple II clone {apple ][ compatible}
when i wanted to move on to the newer computer a apple II gs i couldn't seeing as the price was just stupid for one .
so after some years of being pissed off at apple i moved on to using ibm compatibles.
1mgz cpu 64k ram 16 colors :ninja:
i still have a pile of 5 1/2 floppy's from that system as well as many books like one that lists all the memory locations of whats what & whats where in hex code for the apple II on the lowest level you can think of.
ever program in assembler ?
unlike many i still know what the first meg of ram in a i7 cpu computer still douse.

exaple low level stuff from a apple II

$9600-$BEFF = BASIC.SYSTEM
$9D5E = Routine called after RESTART is pressed
$A963 = Two-byte value that is the max. value allowed w/the L parameter
$AA57 = Current MAXFILES setting
$AAB1 = Default MAXFILES setting
$BE43 EXEC file active (status)
$BE44 Input file active (status)
$BE45 Output file active (status)
$BE46 Prefix active (status)
$BE47 Directory file being accessed (status)
$BE48 End of directory data reached (status)
$BE49 Index to free string space (in K) (data)
$BE4A Character count for WRITE's temporary buffer (data)
$BE4B Current character count during keyboard entry (data)
$BE4C ASCII code of last character sent to output (used in error detection)
$BE4D Number of open files (doesn't include EXECs) (data)
$BE4E EXEC file is being closed (status)
$BE4F DIR file is being read (status)
$BE58-59 The last used A parameter
$BE5A-5C The last used B parameter
$BE5D-5E The last used E parameter
$BE5F-60 The last used L parameter
$BE61 The last used S parameter
$BE62 The last used D parameter
$BE63-64 The last used F parameter
$BE65-66 The last used R parameter
$BE67 The last used V parameter

that book worth $$$ on ebay btw . iv done price checks before.
book is called
whats where in the apple
an atlas to the apple computer by william f.luebert

copy right 1981

i use to be a programmer btw or in to it at the very lest .biggest program i made for the apple II in what is now known as qbasic was 10000 lines though it was simply known as dos back then for the apple and qbasic for the ibm compatible in dos 6.22 or older.
later versions of dos from micro soft = ass
and man im just starting to play around with win7 atm .just installed it on my main system today {twin boot winxp pro\win7 ultimate to get some skillz on the topic .
my god what a pos OS......... anyways.
in the past id just install it or vista for others then run for cover .i couldn't get away from that os fast enough sometimes before i started feeling like i needed to go brake something or start punching walls.i should really get a punching dummy for my room that looks like bill gates or a face of gates on a dart board.

i cloned a game called brake out as well at one point just for fun lol.

and ya i know im the new guy on the forum hi :lol2:

more info about what im using now hardware wise can be found here
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4078&start=30
sorry about the useless first pic but that's jpg for ya .ill replace it soon with the pic of something close to it in *.bmp
cant see anything in that jpg
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

kk, the graphics card i got on black friday for $24 the power supply came with the case and the case was $25. the motherboard was $41 and cd/dvd $21 the orig 500GB HD was $44 then about $50 for ram and about $90 for CPU. ;)

BTW I too started work with qbasic when i was younger on an old epson equity II+ and also still have dos 3.3 5.25" disks :) the original from the apple IIe. One of the first programs i wrote was a simple ASCII art program that played a piano on the computers internal impezo transducer.

@milo I got em at a place called pricewatch it is a "wholesale" website that lists prices of computer parts from many online stores that nobody has heard of (but still trustworthy).
ArtRev Website

ImageImage