Anti-Missile System

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Zillaxwafer
New user

Anti-Missile System

Post by Zillaxwafer »

I'm sure it has been mentioned before, BUT THIS IS SERIOUS!!!!!:
The only protection one has from Ripple Rockets and Archangel Missile batteries as of now is either to A: Hide or B: Get CB Tower and Archangels or Ripples of your own. The first is highly impractical, and the latter requires part of your force be hurt before you can fire back. Even if you do fire back you need just as many or more rockets than them, and if you don't have that you'll lose construction units in the crossfire of trying to build more! I propose building a research path of Anti-missile systems. Mortars and Howitzers would still be effective (At least early on) but missiles would have a chance of getting shot down. There would probably be two sets one with longer range and lower rate of fire and one with closer range but higher rate of fire.

Proposed Installations:
Stage 1 close range: Chain-gun with low accuracy attempts to shoot missiles down as the come at not to far of a range, like 8 tiles or something.

Stage 2 close range: Lazer shoots down missiles at chain-gun range, but with incredibly high hit rate

Stage 1 long range: Missiles with slower rate of fire are launched almost as soon as enemy missiles are launched intercepting with slightly more decent accuracy at much greater range (intercepts at approximately half distance between two points or so) would require a CB tower nearby or maybe have one built into it to sense Missiles shot toward location.

Stage 2 long range: Shoots High explosive counter-missiles that are like Anti-missile flak, taking out groups at a time (seeing as the ripple rockets fire a ridiculous number at once).

I havn't gotten a chance to skim through the code yet, but depending on whether or not the game physically tracks the projectiles, or just rolls a hit chance and displays an appropriate graphic, it might not be that hard to "shoot down" incoming missiles. It might require the turret to generate "invisible walls" in their path or something, i don't know I've never really done any serious programming, only messed around with smaller apps.
Verin
Trained
Trained

Re: Anti-Missile System

Post by Verin »

I like the flak idea.

So like a phalanx gun on a battleship?
My multiplayer name is Verin
Usually in ideas and suggestions.
I Am also an ASE certified technician.
WarTux
Trained
Trained

Post by WarTux »

To be honest it sort of depends on the map you're playing. On low-oil maps, ripple turtling is likely a futile strategy...

High-oil tends to mess up the balance of the game by removing power limits, so sky-high strategies like this are feasible. :P
Warzone nicknames: WarTux[BDC], ChuckNorris-BDC, DeathStar, etc.
Part of the Black Dragon Clan; apply today, we welcome most! :3
On the Warzone IRC channel you can find me hanging out with the BDC dudes or messing with the bot.
Verin
Trained
Trained

Post by Verin »

Implement it.
My multiplayer name is Verin
Usually in ideas and suggestions.
I Am also an ASE certified technician.
warzonelego
Rookie
Rookie

Post by warzonelego »

well if the u.s has a T.H.E.L we sould have a T.H.E.L to!
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

This is not a solution to the problem of ppl spamming ripples. This is because you are playing on high oil maps. Adding ripple defence will only cause ppl to spam ripple defense too. Then no one will be able to get anywhere.

Instead, I have an idea which may work viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6578&p=71116#p71116
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

macuser wrote:This is not a solution to the problem of ppl spamming ripples. This is because you are playing on high oil maps. Adding ripple defence will only cause ppl to spam ripple defense too. Then no one will be able to get anywhere.

Instead, I have an idea which may work viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6578&p=71116#p71116
How do you see Dylan Dog's New feature: DROID'S SHIELD working in all this. The question just came to mind impromptu. Haven't yet given it focused thought.

- Regards, RV :hmm:

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

kind of like an additional auto repair concept? just beefing up the shields is not going to deal with ppl spamming one kind of unit on high power though :(
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Post by Tenoh »

As a quick fix for this very annoying thing i propose to change ant-artillery radar to work like anti-radar radar.Basically it should sick and target only indirect fire weapon targets.More complex solution would be to allow manual targeting for ripples and others or allow to set up options for artillery to attack all targets or just other artillery....do i make any sense >_> ? or add laser system that would target incoming missiles or add small intercept missiles.
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Well another thing that may help is that the targeting system in trunk for artillery does not just target one unit but allows the missiles to be allocated between all visible units - according to how much firepower is availible
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

alto1234
Trained
Trained

Post by alto1234 »

this really is not necessary, any of this, if people would play on maps with a reasonable amount of oil instead of all this sh*t ive seen im sure this complaint would go away by itself
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

LOL amen to that. but you know, ppl can play on whatever maps they want. however if others don't like the map they can play their own game :)

-regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

alto1234
Trained
Trained

Post by alto1234 »

macuser wrote:but you know, ppl can play on whatever maps they want. however if others don't like the map they can play their own game :)
people can play on whatever maps they want but an individual's choice to play on maps that are purposefully poorly designed should not ruin the game's impeccable balance for those who actually play the game as intended. i'm sure an anti-missile MOD would be welcome but really, this is not something we need, besides, think of the poor CPU!
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Yeah poor CPU ;) any how we don't need anti missile defense - it is just not practical - a good offense is a great defense
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

Black Project
Regular
Regular

Post by Black Project »

WarTux wrote:To be honest it sort of depends on the map you're playing. On low-oil maps, ripple turtling is likely a futile strategy...

High-oil tends to mess up the balance of the game by removing power limits, so sky-high strategies like this are feasible. :P
Yeah, but now that NTW becomes so popular among almost all games, IMO, it's too late to make people stop playing these kind of maps and go play real maps, i think even dictatorship wouldn't solve this.
alto1234 wrote:this really is not necessary, any of this, if people would play on maps with a reasonable amount of oil instead of all this sh*t ive seen im sure this complaint would go away by itself
I'm totally against this idea too. There's no solution for noobs, IMHO.
macuser wrote:Yeah poor CPU ;) any how we don't need anti missile defense - it is just not practical - a good offense is a great defense
You're right macuser, people need to know how to counter-artillery.

Regards BP