2.3.5 RC3 has been released

The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

2.3.5 RC3 has been released

Post by Buginator »

The Warzone 2100 Project staff bring you this 2.3.5 release candidate 3.

We want to kill the more serious issues ASAP, hence another release.

The plan is, if it is deemed a serious / critical bug, we will do another release ASAP. If it falls within the normal category, then we will do a release when we feel this version has been tested enough.

We are reimplementing testing builds in order to help us release better builds, we just don't have the manpower to test everything, and true testers are very hard to come by.

We strongly urge everyone to try this 2.3.5 release candidate 3--especially multiplayer users!, and report any and all issues with it.

Please submit all bugs via this link, and follow the directions listed at the link, we need every bit of that information in order to fix bugs!

Downloads will be made available at our usual site:
Warzone 2100 file releases on Sourceforge.

Windows build | Mac build | source tarball

Thanks again for the bug reports, keep them coming! :3

2010-09-04: Version 2.3.5_RC3

Multiplayer
  • Fix: Client side messages for when people leave / drop (r11601, #2144)
  • Change: When people are kicked, don't lock them out of all games. (r11605)
  • Change: Don't allow Hosts to kick AIs if they are in a skirmish game, unless they are in cheat mode. (r11596, #2139)
Balance (r11600, r11603, r11607)
  • Decrease ground-to-air damage modifier of minipod, lancer/TK/scourge cyborgs/VTOLs, Sunburst, and Flak Cannon from 100% to 80%.
  • Add air-to-air versions of Sunburst and Flak Cannon
  • Increase research/manufacture/build price of Sunburst and Flak Cannon by a lot, to offset the fact that you don't have to upgrade them separately
Last edited by Buginator on 13 Sep 2010, 01:12, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Mac Build is up
and it ends here.
chekwob
Rookie
Rookie

Re: 2.3.5_rc3 has been released

Post by chekwob »

Buginator wrote: [*] Change: When people are kicked, don't lock them out of all games. (r11605)
Are you sure about that? It looks like the check for ERROR_CHEAT is still there.
Thin ice is the most exciting when you swing at it with a pickaxe.
MetalWarrior95
Trained
Trained

Post by MetalWarrior95 »

This looks good...
Il crush you!If i get crushed,il crush you twice stronger!!If you crush me again,then il blow up your PC!!
Tucalipe
Trained
Trained

Post by Tucalipe »

> These are bad times for RC builds... ;)
KenAlcock
Trained
Trained

Post by KenAlcock »

Some random feedback that came up during last play through.
  • Players using new Air-to-air versions of new AA weapons report it is hard to target enemy VTOLs. This has come up before. I know Zarel was wanting to add VTOL strike towers that target enemy VTOLs only.

Q: For now, what would be the best approach? Have air-to-air VTOLs circle and set to fire at-will? Would that get them to automatically shoot the incoming VTOLs?
  • I hosted a 6-player game just now and not one lag. The new v2.3.5 seems much more stable than v2.3.4. I will try to get an 8-player game going later on.
  • The AI doesn't seem to bother building any of the new AA emplacements at all. In our game the AI went from Hurricane to Whirlwind to Vindicator.
  • The Flak Cannon background states that it is derived from the Hyper-Velocity Cannon technology, yet it sounds just like a Cyclone, which is more like a traditional cannon.
  • IMHO, the Cyclone should still have a place in the WZ Tech tree. It is the one AA weapon that was truly authentic, reminiscent of the AA on battleships in WWII. And it looked really cool mounted on an mobile AA tank.
My game handle is Cosmic Raven or Cosmic Raven 68
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Q: For now, what would be the best approach? Have air-to-air VTOLs circle and set to fire at-will? Would that get them to automatically shoot the incoming VTOLs?
Alt+clicking works well during the attack. The easiest and most `default' way to automate this is using VTOL strike towers; obviously enough, if VTOLs with air-to-air weapon is attached to such tower, it will shoot only VTOLs. Yes, patroling is good too.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

KenAlcock wrote:Players using new Air-to-air versions of new AA weapons report it is hard to target enemy VTOLs. This has come up before. I know Zarel was wanting to add VTOL strike towers that target enemy VTOLs only.

Use Patrol. Use Patrol. Use Patrol.

Do not use strike towers. I am not planning on making AA strike towers. In addition, strike towers are currently buggy since I have not had time to fix them yet. Do not use Circle. It is also buggy since I have not had the time to fix it.

I have personally written the code for Patrol. It works great. If you use strike towers, your VTOLs will shoot one enemy, then go back to rearm even if other enemies are still there. If you use Circle, your VTOLs won't go back to circling after reloading. These are both undesirable.

Use Patrol. Use Patrol. Use Patrol.

Alt+click on the ground near your enemy. This activates a Patrol order (alternatively, right-click on the unit and click Patrol, then click on where you want to patrol). After that happens, your VTOLs will attack everything in the vicinity, going back to rearm only after they either run out of ammo, or have killed all the enemies they can see.
KenAlcock wrote:I hosted a 6-player game just now and not one lag. The new v2.3.5 seems much more stable than v2.3.4. I will try to get an 8-player game going later on.
Great! Thank Buginator for the new network code.
KenAlcock wrote:The AI doesn't seem to bother building any of the new AA emplacements at all. In our game the AI went from Hurricane to Whirlwind to Vindicator.
Yes, this is known. I'm sure we'll update the AI eventually.
KenAlcock wrote:The Flak Cannon background states that it is derived from the Hyper-Velocity Cannon technology, yet it sounds just like a Cyclone, which is more like a traditional cannon.
To be exact, it sounds like a medium cannon. This is because most people hate how HPVs sound. :|
KenAlcock wrote:IMHO, the Cyclone should still have a place in the WZ Tech tree. It is the one AA weapon that was truly authentic, reminiscent of the AA on battleships in WWII. And it looked really cool mounted on an mobile AA tank.
The Flak Cannon was supposed to be authentic AA. What's wrong with it? :|
KenAlcock
Trained
Trained

Post by KenAlcock »

Zarel wrote:
KenAlcock wrote:IMHO, the Cyclone should still have a place in the WZ Tech tree. It is the one AA weapon that was truly authentic, reminiscent of the AA on battleships in WWII. And it looked really cool mounted on an mobile AA tank.
The Flak Cannon was supposed to be authentic AA. What's wrong with it? :|
Nothing is wrong with the Flak Cannon, as far as I could tell. It's just that the Cyclone turret looked cool.

I'm saying keep them both, not take one over the other. I don't know all the technical ramifications of this. Does the Tech tree have room for them both and their upgrades?
My game handle is Cosmic Raven or Cosmic Raven 68
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

KenAlcock wrote: I hosted a 6-player game just now and not one lag. The new v2.3.5 seems much more stable than v2.3.4. I will try to get an 8-player game going later on.
:hmm:
While we did kill more bugs, making it more stable, the work on the netcode wasn't really aimed at this, and at this late hour, I can't really think of anything that would change the perceived lag one way or the other. I rewrote a loop, but I doubt that could have made that much of a difference. :hmm: However, if by chance it turns out for the better, then, yeah, I planned it that way from the start! XD
chekwob wrote:
Buginator wrote: [*] Change: When people are kicked, don't lock them out of all games. (r11605)
Are you sure about that? It looks like the check for ERROR_CHEAT is still there.
Funny you should notice that. :stare:

ERROR_CHEAT != ERROR_KICK :...:
and it ends here.
chekwob
Rookie
Rookie

Post by chekwob »

Buginator wrote:
chekwob wrote: Are you sure about that? It looks like the check for ERROR_CHEAT is still there.

Code: Select all

case ERROR_KICKED:
		case ERROR_CHEAT:
			txt = _("You were kicked!");
			break;

kickPlayer(index, "it is not nice to cheat!", ERROR_CHEAT);
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

RC3 already? Awesome, looks like the Project Staff is on a roll for a excellent 2.3.5 final release :3
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
sg1efc
Trained
Trained

Post by sg1efc »

Thanks once again everyone for all your hard work. :)
My Thanks to everyone past, present and future who have helped to create & continues to improve WZ2100, you're all Awesome! :)
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:RC3 already? Awesome, looks like the Project Staff is on a roll for a excellent 2.3.5 final release :3
Well, this is probably just stalling until 3.0 gets released.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Buginator wrote:
chekwob wrote: Are you sure about that? It looks like the check for ERROR_CHEAT is still there.

chekwob wrote:

case ERROR_KICKED:
		case ERROR_CHEAT:
			txt = _("You were kicked!");
			break;

kickPlayer(index, "it is not nice to cheat!", ERROR_CHEAT);
:roll:
Kicking players for cheating is a whole different story than kicking them from the lobby.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
chekwob
Rookie
Rookie

Post by chekwob »

vexed wrote: Kicking players for cheating is a whole different story than kicking them from the lobby.
It's still kicking.