Tank transport

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Re: just a quick question...

Post by Buginator »

Rman Virgil wrote:.

Your Email service bounced my attatchment of the source code.

I'll upload the source to a server and provide the DL link instead.

Looking through this source again it may not be too difficult to just isolate the Tank Transport Mod Support files & put together a Patch to submit for consideration.... though I'm not feeling confident enough to do it myself.

- Regards, RV :hmm:

Rman, if you can shoot that archive my way, I'll take a look at it. I think you have my e-mail address still...

TIA. :3
and it ends here.
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

Yes. Good to see this going forward...
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Your Email service bounced my attatchment of the source code.

I'll upload the source to a server and provide the DL link instead.

Looking through this source again it may not be too difficult to just isolate the Tank Transport Mod Support files & put together a Patch to submit for consideration.... though I'm not feeling confident enough to do it myself.

- Regards, RV :hmm:

Buginator wrote:Rman, if you can shoot that archive my way, I'll take a look at it. I think you have my e-mail address still...

TIA. :3
Yup. Okie Dokie. That's great. :) I'll go send you the DL link now.

- RV 8)
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Rman Virgil wrote: Yup. Okie Dokie. That's great. :) I'll go send you the DL link now.

- RV 8)
Thanks.

Looking over the code, Troman basically just changed a few things, and disabled the MP checks for the transport.
I assume the actual mod itself added the required transport to the items you can build, so you can have the cyborg transport, and the unit transport ?

If the dates are correct, this goes back to '05, and if that is the case, this stuff never made it into the codebase, so there was nothing that was 'removed'... :hmm:
and it ends here.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Actually, Mods with Tank Transports were made using Pumpkin's v.1.10 Binary before the source liberation.

What Troman did here was to allow for him to use them in the very first iteration of AIvolution Ski A.I. and the binary was released early '05 as v.1.10c and this all happened during the set-up of the first public source repository at Berlios. When Aivolution became part of the official FOSS distro he removed all these changes and AIvolution became the Ski A.I. you came to know sans Tank Transport Drops.

- RV :hmm:

Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Actually, Mods with Tank Transports were made using Pumpkin's v.1.10 Binary before the source liberation.

What Troman did here was to allow for him to use them in the very first iteration of AIvolution Ski A.I. and the binary was released early '05 as v.1.10c and this all happened during the set-up of the first public source repository at Berlios. When Aivolution became part of the official FOSS distro he removed all these changes and AIvolution became the Ski A.I. you came to know sans Tank Transport Drops.

- RV :hmm:

I see ... guess will have to check the stat files to see when that was removed, as for the source itself, it still has the cyborg droid only on MP checks...those are easy enough to 'fix'.

Wonder if we should edit it so it has 0 weapons for MP ? Hmmm
and it ends here.
WarTux
Trained
Trained

Post by WarTux »

Buginator wrote:Wonder if we should edit it so it has 0 weapons for MP ? Hmmm
Keep it, or add it in as mod support. By the time transports are available HMG will be more of an annoyance than a mega-powerful 1337 destruct0r weapon anyway. ;)
Warzone nicknames: WarTux[BDC], ChuckNorris-BDC, DeathStar, etc.
Part of the Black Dragon Clan; apply today, we welcome most! :3
On the Warzone IRC channel you can find me hanging out with the BDC dudes or messing with the bot.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Before Troman became inactive a few years back he was having serious second thoughts about having removed the Tank Transport Drops because he really liked them and thought in the end it was a mistake to have taken them out. There is a thread around here still where we had that conversation. At that time I think he was in the midst of trying his hand at the first effort to address the re-balance of the game and then RL led him away to inactivity.... then Zarel got involved and really focused on doing his first class re-balancing efforts. :)

- Regards, RV 8)

EDIT:
Buginator wrote:Wonder if we should edit it so it has 0 weapons for MP ? Hmmm
WarTux wrote:Keep it, or add it in as mod support. By the time transports are available HMG will be more of an annoyance than a mega-powerful 1337 destruct0r weapon anyway. ;)
That's my sense as well.

But there is still the issue of dealing with Empty Tank Transport Spamming... or a scheme to prevent that. LZ Limits being one of the suggested solutions in the Idea Torrent... A more elementary solution being to limit them like Trucks - maybe 2 at most at any given time. But I'm not sure about that last one. The LZ LImits solution is way more generative of fresh new tacs and strats in GP but not as easy to implement as at this point it would have to be done through scripting, I think.... as opposed to being in the binary and having it added to FlaME support as a map maker plug 'n play deal... if that makes sense..

Last edited by Rman Virgil on 26 Aug 2010, 05:46, edited 1 time in total.
WarTux
Trained
Trained

Post by WarTux »

Rman Virgil wrote:But there is still the issue of dealing with Empty Tank Transport Spamming...
If we make the transports vulnerable to AA fire like my proposal, a few AA guns with decent upgrades will tear those transports to pieces. :twisted:
On the Warzone IRC channel you can find me hanging out with the BDC dudes or messing with the bot.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Rman Virgil wrote:But there is still the issue of dealing with Empty Tank Transport Spamming...
WarTux wrote:If we make the transports vulnerable to AA fire like my proposal, a few AA guns with decent upgrades will tear those transports to pieces. :twisted:
That sounds like it could work. Lot simpler solution. Still - should be play tested. Skilled WZ MPers are a canny lot. ;)

- RV :ninja:
Black Project
Regular
Regular

Post by Black Project »

A member called "chekwob" has made the cyborg transport carry vehicles, but without any restrictions (It can land everywhere & drop units there normally).

We MUST ask him how he did, so we can implement it in a mod ASAP.

Links:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=116&p=68465#p68287
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ga6X7WU4j8

Regards BP
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

He may have just made the changes to the source and compiled his own binary. Many can do that but the result is a fork - & multiple binaries.

If he did it without modifying this Project binary, that would be something.

I wonder why he didn't change the GFX to the Tank Transport - that's pretty easy to do. :hmm:

- RV 8)
Last edited by Rman Virgil on 03 Sep 2010, 06:01, edited 1 time in total.

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

He may have just made the changes to the source and compiled his own binary. Many can do that but the result is a fork - & multiple binaries.

If he did it without a modifying this Project binary, that would be something.

I wonder why he didn't change the GFX to the Tank Transport - that's pretty easy to do. :hmm:

- RV 8)
seems the cyborg transport is better suited, although , it could use maybe an update, just expand it ... make it a bit larger seeing as no one liked the other transport as it was ... too chunky?? dunno... :hmm:
Black Project
Regular
Regular

Post by Black Project »

I've asked him about that in the following link: viewtopic.php?f=8&p=68594#p68594

Let's wait for his answer.

BP
WarTux
Trained
Trained

Post by WarTux »

lav_coyote25 wrote:seems the cyborg transport is better suited, although , it could use maybe an update, just expand it ... make it a bit larger seeing as no one liked the other transport as it was ... too chunky?? dunno... :hmm:
What!? I liked the original unit transport! :P Changing the GFX to the tank transport instead of the cyborg transport is a pretty good idea anyway, to maintain consistency between the campaign transport and the proposed MP/Skirmish transport.