iPad Development Thread

For code related discussions and questions
MetalWarrior95
Trained
Trained

Re: iPad Development Thread

Post by MetalWarrior95 »

Well its cool to see in future warzone on ipad but i have an off topic question...
Why there werent warzone for N64 or Dreamcast??? o.0
Il crush you!If i get crushed,il crush you twice stronger!!If you crush me again,then il blow up your PC!!
natbob1
Trained
Trained

Post by natbob1 »

Zarel wrote:I, for one, will not be suing you as long as either:

1. The app is free, or:
2. I get paid at least as much as anyone else involved in the project is being paid.

I, of course, cannot guarantee the same for any other dev, nor for Pumpkin.
Wouldn't your contributions fall under the GPL (as per the attached license)? :o
GPL: line 33 wrote:For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether
gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that
you have. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the
source code. And you must show them these terms so they know their
rights.
I believe that he could charge for it as long as he released the code under the GPL. In this way the App Store fits with the free software development model perfectly.

EDIT: Maybe not looking at the above linked mail archive...
cybersphinx wrote:b. "No interpreted code may be downloaded or used in an Application except for code that is interpreted and run by Apple's Documented APIs and built-in interpreter(s)." - we use a custom scripting language for AIs, if you remove that all that's left is all-human multiplayer.
If you BLOB'ed it into the source, I don't think they would notice/care.
TechWiz
Trained
Trained

Post by TechWiz »

MetalWarrior95 wrote:Well its cool to see in future warzone on ipad but i have an off topic question...
It was PC/Playstation exclusive cuz it needed a disc based console for more storage space and frankly the N64's cartridge can only hold so much. As for the Sega DC, well that barely sold and was terminated like 2 years into production.

More consoles = more profit
Thus the reason I wanna put Warzone on the iPad, More devices = more players = richer community
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

natbob1 wrote:Wouldn't your contributions fall under the GPL (as per the attached license)? :o
As several others have noted, publishing my contributions to the App Store is a violation of the GPL, which is why I have written alternative terms for a license for App Store publication of my work.
natbob1
Trained
Trained

Post by natbob1 »

Zarel wrote:
natbob1 wrote:Wouldn't your contributions fall under the GPL (as per the attached license)? :o
As several others have noted, publishing my contributions to the App Store is a violation of the GPL, which is why I have written alternative terms for a license for App Store publication of my work.
I see. :3
MetalWarrior95
Trained
Trained

Post by MetalWarrior95 »

TechWiz wrote:
MetalWarrior95 wrote:Well its cool to see in future warzone on ipad but i have an off topic question...
It was PC/Playstation exclusive cuz it needed a disc based console for more storage space and frankly the N64's cartridge can only hold so much. As for the Sega DC, well that barely sold and was terminated like 2 years into production.

More consoles = more profit
Thus the reason I wanna put Warzone on the iPad, More devices = more players = richer community
Dreamcast is CD based...

Well the models,textures & sounds would be extremely compresed and quality should be a bit lower for textures and even for models in some parts of polygons...Well if all things get right maybe we compress it into 32mb but with exchanged totally difrient campaing and probavly some cutscenes(video or even special 3D cutscenes with special models)...It should be 64mb!!
Il crush you!If i get crushed,il crush you twice stronger!!If you crush me again,then il blow up your PC!!
brakenfur
Trained
Trained

Post by brakenfur »

so is this going to happen i want warzone for my ipad
TechWiz
Trained
Trained

Post by TechWiz »

brakenfur 54 wrote:so is this going to happen i want warzone for my ipad
I don't think it will happen because my 13" Macbook Pro isn't handling XCode well and the devs for the project all seem to either be against it or non caring towards it. I know for a fact I cant do this alone because there is a ton of spaghetti code I cant understand in there plus the fact that there is a ton of code to port in the first place.

I think we can put this one to rest for the time being... maybe someone will necromance it and have better luck
dak180
Trained
Trained

Post by dak180 »

brakenfur 54 wrote:so is this going to happen i want warzone for my ipad
It is unlikely to ever end up in Apple's App Store for legal reasons.

If this interests you, you can look for information on VLC's saga in the App Store; their legal issues are more or less exactly what we would run into.
User:dak180
Keeper of the Mac Builds
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

The chances of WZ making it to an Android Tablet are 100% better. :)

For all the reasons WHY see this thread:

Android anyone??

- RV :hmm:

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
cocochen
New user

Post by cocochen »

TechWiz wrote:Just thought I'd put together this here thread so that anyone interested can pitch in and help out some.

So far we have:
Specs
Apple iPad
1024 × 768 px (aspect ratio 4:3) @ 132 ppi
1GHz Apple A4 Processor (ARM7)
PowerVR SGX 535 GPU
256 MB RAM (250MB available for all apps)

Software:
OpenGL ES 1.1 (as of 3.2, maybe 2.0 for OS4?)
SDL for OS2 available (maybe an easy port to OS3?) http://svn.libsdl.org/branches/gsoc2009_IME/SDL/
Cocoa and all the other Apple goodies
iPhone and iPad frameworks differ in name but have similar functions (verified by XCode)

Sources:
http://developer.apple.com/ipad/sdk/index.html
http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-Teardown/2183/1
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple-A4-Teardown/2204/1
http://www.drdobbs.com/mobility/209600498

Anything else that anyone might need just drop a line. So far with my work on the port I have 100K+ errors to correct before XCode will so much as think about compiling the app.... I don't know how to work with OpenGL or SDL however I hear that OpenGL and OpenGL ES only differ in that ES cannot use immediate commands (or something like that). The rest of the stuff seems like it would work as soon as replacement code is put in place to retrofit the old code with new frameworks. A lot of linux C and C++ scattered around, don't know how well that will fly on the iPad so I'm replacing it as I see it just to be on the safe side (replacing "uint16_t" with "unsigned int" and so forth).
OpenGL ES 1.1 uses a subset of OpenGL immediate mode. If you use 2.3 branch, that should work fine.

Warzone is already being successfully compiled with Xcode, so if you are getting errors, you are doing something wrong.
TechWiz
Trained
Trained

Post by TechWiz »

cocochen wrote:OpenGL ES 1.1 uses a subset of OpenGL immediate mode. If you use 2.3 branch, that should work fine.

Warzone is already being successfully compiled with Xcode, so if you are getting errors, you are doing something wrong.
It will compile for OS X obviously but what good does that do if I was targeting the iPad? Also I no longer have my Macbook so my end of the development is halted until I either get a new macbook or build a new PC with hackintosh. I'm also rather broke and in college so yea =P

And the android idea sounds far more promising actually especially since the android tablets are not nearly as expensive and Google is quite liberal in terms of their ToS for the market.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Hey, I can help you with that :) . I did it myself and it was easy. (after ~30 tries) . Anyhow You can easily find parts and build a computer for ~200 that will run mac fine.
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
TechWiz
Trained
Trained

Post by TechWiz »

macuser wrote:Hey, I can help you with that :) . I did it myself and it was easy. (after ~30 tries) . Anyhow You can easily find parts and build a computer for ~200 that will run mac fine.
Oh yea I've made tons of hackintosh builds.. thats not a problem... The problem is finding something that will not be shot to hell by XCode under my terrible budget. My 13in Macbook Pro could barely handle XCode with a C2D and 2GB ram.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

AH IC what u mean. How bout a AMD Phenom II x4?
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6