Effective AA units/buildings?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Outlaw325
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Effective AA units/buildings?

Post by Outlaw325 »

Lancefighter wrote:*sigh* yesyes, i read that. I was just connecting a few dots, for instance patrol in the place of vtol strike towers along with current weapons.
The hint part was more 'wait we already have the guns, why not just use them on vtols?'. the assumption was that its not that hard to use a model already in the game with stats that are already in the game, so it should be something easy to mod.. hell /me putters off to the modding section to do it himself.
Gimme 20 minutes to figure out how to get the gun to flip over and mount on vtols, and ill put a simple mod out..hopefully. It might even work if your lucky.
Someone hasn't remembered to check the weight of the AA guns, it seems. All of the guns and the AA laser weigh 10000 units, only a bit less than the Plasmite bomb bay. Although the Avenger only weighs 400, and the Vindicator 6000 (400 to 6000? there's something up there, I suspect a typo)
Overkill- So rarely needed, so often fun.
Lancefighter
Trained
Trained

Post by Lancefighter »

Au contrair. If you check my post in modding, youll note that the download includes a much much lighter version.

Also, it doesnt matter what the weight is on other platforms, weight is a simple integer I can change as I wish. Muhahaha!

I just wish MORE vtol weapons had appreciable weight.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Lancefighter wrote:Muhahaha!
I wish there were more of these around XD
Lancefighter wrote:I just wish MORE vtol weapons had appreciable weight.
You mean you want to see slower VTOL speeds for some weapons?
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:You mean you want to see slower VTOL speeds for some weapons?
Don't forget slower rearming.
Lancefighter
Trained
Trained

Post by Lancefighter »

Zarel wrote:
j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:You mean you want to see slower VTOL speeds for some weapons?
Don't forget slower rearming.
yes, I would like to see vtols going slower than 700. Always 700. Never slower unless its a bomb of some sort, and even then, midgame most (medium body) bomb vtols go 700 still.

Arg! Ideally, the lightest weapons sit around 1500 weight. This is about when heavy vtols (assuming 0 engine upgrades) hit below 700. (i wrote a spreadsheet to calculate it) Somewhere around 3000 weight, light vtols are around 600 (again, no upgrades).
around 7000 weight, medium vtols start flying around 550.

Imo, increase weapon weights above 5k, (light 400, med 650, heavy 300) make reloading faster, (around 7x to make up for heavier weight, at 5k current speeds is about a minute) and give light vtols better speed multiplier. Currently the only reason to use a light vtol is the 1/3 reload time (on average) that you get.
Might just mod up all the weapon weights and such... not sure where id go to mess with propulsion multipliers, although i wonder what problems the game would have if i increased engine speeds on small bodies? my assumption is that even if the weapons way a ton, a small body has low enough hp that it shouldnt matter too much if smallstuff goes max speed all the time? (not sure how this would mess with pvp balance..)
3drts
Trained
Trained

Post by 3drts »

In 1.10, even the vengeance heavy body couldn't go 700 with a 200 weight light machine gun.....

VTOLs got a speed boost somewhere in the rebalancing.... and now VTOL weapon weights are nigh insignificant- until one gets plasmite bombs.

As to AA fighters, lancer vtols, set to patrol or to an EW tower.

IMO, lancer, being an unguided, or wire guided rocket, shouldn't work for AA.

Lancer borgs being AA annoys me- even the homing scourge being AA is stretch (as if a Javelin AT missile could also function as a stinger missile). Lancer/TK/Scourge don't fill the role of Avenger/Vindicator on vehicles/structures, why do they for borgs?
Lancer borgs should miss 90% of the time IMO.

While 40mm VTOL cannons should do fine, as should the VTOL assault cannon (since its an "auto cannon")- can the VTOL HPV now target air units?
For that matter, needle and rail gun vtols should be able to hit air as well (and I still think they could use an ammo capacity boost)

For T-3 - Scourge missiles, and Pulse lasers can function for Air superiority fighters.
For T-2/1 Im not sure how effective HMG or Assault guns are, I don't think they do enough damage.

Hurricane sucks against anything other than bugs, without at least 2 or three damage upgrades, and an ROF upgrade or three.
Lancefighter
Trained
Trained

Post by Lancefighter »

according to my spreadsheet, even a 500 weight gun slows the 'average' heavy body with the 'average' engine strength down to 550

Also, check my thread in showcase. Lancer air to air missiles are guided :p turns out, its fairly easy to change things..

I would say that there exists a small issue in the fact that vtols barely fly above the ground.. Hell, they crash into the HQ if you tell them to attack it. Hows that for low flying? I think if vtols flew higher up, lancer-borg vs vtol deaths would decrease. (inaccuracy only means something if you arent standing 2 feet from the broadside of a barn..)