A little help plz?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Psykeout
New user

A little help plz?

Post by Psykeout »

I just started playing but there are some things i jus don't understand...such as
1)What exactly are commanders?
2)What advantage do sensor turrets have?
3)What does assigning to a sensor turret/commander do?
4)Is it considered good practice to beat the game by slowing it down???
Dalton
Trained
Trained

Re: A little help plz?

Post by Dalton »

Psykeout wrote:I just started playing but there are some things i jus don't understand...such as
http://guide.wz2100.net/commanders
Psykeout wrote:4)Is it considered good practice to beat the game by slowing it down???
Not really it is fairly easy just doing it at normal speed.
Square
Trained
Trained

Post by Square »

Psykeout wrote:I just started playing but there are some things i jus don't understand...such as
4)Is it considered good practice to beat the game by slowing it down???
1. Boah, don't care, something like an improved mobile sensor turret, dont need it ;)
2. They eke the range of all asigned artillery. Artillery is pretty useless without it (at least for me)
3. The assigned units will fire on the targets, specified by the commander/turret
4. hm... It just takes longer :P
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Psykeout wrote:4)Is it considered good practice to beat the game by slowing it down???
The game is made to run at its default speed, others might lead to problems (like #1976).
Lancefighter
Trained
Trained

Post by Lancefighter »

commanders are a force multiplier of sorts - a commander extends his experience to all units in his battle group. For instance, in the campaign its generally required to have a commander, because at that point, any other unit's experience becomes extraneous. A hero level commander (fairly easy to get) makes all units in his group take 1/2 damage (as well as enemies have 1/2 accuracy, but if you have 10 tanks in a small area they generally hit one of them) and go 50% faster..

artillery wz is similar to artillery in real life - they shoot really far, but cant really see very far. A sensor is a spotter - artillery units take positional data from the spotter and shoot there, without having to be anywhere close.(lategame artillery generally shoots across the map pretty easily). Note: a commander can be assigned as a spotter for STRUCTURE artillery as well as mobile artillery. Use that.

it generally just means you can command more units easier - clicking a target for a commander gives you the ability to mark a target for 6+ tanks at once. A sensor gives you the ability to shoot really far with artillery. (the commander can be a sensor as well for mobile artillery)

honestly for singleplayer theres no real reason not to play whereever you feel comfortable playing - your not competing against anyone, so play as you please.. in multiplayer i dont think everyone would agree to turn down the speed (can it be done in mp? i dont see why not..)
Psykeout
New user

Post by Psykeout »

sure thing thanks...
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

hello Psykeout (btw, nice alias)

RTFM (Read The Fine Manual)
http://guide.wz2100.net/

All the answers that you seek should be there. If it isn't, well, I guess it can be fixed :)
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Psykeout
New user

Post by Psykeout »

well i did...still got sm questions...if u've built commanders...is there any further practical use of sensor turrets???
Also, are mini rockets/rockets counted as indirect fire weapons? i.e artillery???
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Psykeout wrote:well i did...still got sm questions...if u've built commanders...is there any further practical use of sensor turrets???
To be honest with you, that's a good question. Trying to find that out right now on these pages,
How to use sensors
How to use commanders
Psykeout wrote:Also, are mini rockets/rockets counted as indirect fire weapons? i.e artillery???
The answer to that question is on this page in the Guide,
How to use sensors
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
kringled
Trained
Trained

Post by kringled »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:
Psykeout wrote:well i did...still got sm questions...if u've built commanders...is there any further practical use of sensor turrets???
To be honest with you, that's a good question. Trying to find that out right now on these pages,
How to use sensors
How to use commanders
Psykeout wrote:Also, are mini rockets/rockets counted as indirect fire weapons? i.e artillery???
The answer to that question is on this page in the Guide,
How to use sensors
In my hands, sensor turrets have better range than commanders, and can target objects without direct LOS. For example, a sensor turret is much more likely to work well if you want to target a lancer tower behind a wall and not go through the wall first. I use commanders mainly with direct fire weapons, and use indirect fire weapons occasionally as a supplement.

Keith
Lancefighter
Trained
Trained

Post by Lancefighter »

it is nice using the indirect support option of the commander with trucks instead of transporting in mobile artillery as well - you neednt always bring many many units to campaign mission to win.

Of course, on that note - are commanders 'sensors'? if i build a radar detector, will it detect my commander? (will it not detect my commander if i am not using it as a sensor?)
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

kringled wrote:In my hands, sensor turrets have better range than commanders, and can target objects without direct LOS.
Interesting. That would definitely make them a better choice.

But I am curious to know, if Commander increases the accuracy of artillery because the guide mentions this,
Command turrets provide an accuracy, armor, and movement speed bonus to all units assigned to them.
-- Ambrose Bierce
Lancefighter
Trained
Trained

Post by Lancefighter »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:
kringled wrote:In my hands, sensor turrets have better range than commanders, and can target objects without direct LOS.
Interesting. That would definitely make them a better choice.

But I am curious to know, if Commander increases the accuracy of artillery because the guide mentions this,
Command turrets provide an accuracy, armor, and movement speed bonus to all units assigned to them.
i believe somewhere (in the comments somewhere) i read that indirect units do not gain experience benefits from a commander..
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Lancefighter wrote:i believe somewhere (in the comments somewhere) i read that indirect units do not gain experience benefits from a commander..
Yes, that's true. Indirect units can't be assigned to commanders, they can only be spotted by commanders. You can tell because the * appears in a different place, and there's no number next to it.
kringled wrote:In my hands, sensor turrets have better range than commanders, and can target objects without direct LOS. For example, a sensor turret is much more likely to work well if you want to target a lancer tower behind a wall and not go through the wall first. I use commanders mainly with direct fire weapons, and use indirect fire weapons occasionally as a supplement.
Note, however, that while CB/WSS have longer range than commanders, regular sensors and commanders actually have the exact same range (12 tiles).

I'm not sure there are any differences w.r.t. LOS, either. The biggest advantage of regular sensors over commanders is that they're much cheaper. I'm pretty sure commanders aren't detected by radar detectors, too (though that's probably a bug).
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Zarel wrote:I'm pretty sure commanders aren't detected by radar detectors, too (though that's probably a bug).
I seriously can't stop smiling XD
-- Ambrose Bierce