WZ|Map/Mod Tester : New Contributor Role for Members

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
JDW
Regular
Regular

WZ|Map/Mod Tester : New Contributor Role for Members

Post by JDW »

This suggestion is more towards improving the quality of feedback on the forum, and then hopefully indirectly towards helping members to contribute to the project.

I have come across some members who have tags like WZ|Contributor and WZ|Translator. What I'm proposing is that there could be another tag called WZ|Map/Mod Tester for people who like testing maps and mods.

The tester's role would be to test maps and mods, and give back constructive feedback if the creator has asked for it. And not just say things like "nice work" or "good job", they can leave appreciation-only statements like those to the other supportive community members.

NOTE: Inspiration for this idea was attained from the fedoraproject, where they involve community members as testers to achieve quality assurance.

Suggestions as to how to approve a candidate for this role:
Any member who has played a certain number of Showcase Maps and Mods, and has given a lot of constructive feedback back to the map/mod creator. And also judge the members knowledge of what an engrossing map/mod could be.

Possible Modifications to the tag:
WZ|Map Tester , WZ|Mod Tester

The reasons as to why I am proposing this idea to the project staff:

i) Many members have a feeling that they can't code, but have often expressed that they would love to help out. I have seen statements like these, "I wish I could help but I can't code or script" or "I cannot mod", once too many.

ii) Making a community member feel like a part of a team would make their feedback more productive and useful to the map/mod creators.

iii) They may get inspired to move on to creating maps and mods, indirectly driving them towards educating themselves. This method of helping members to contribute would be like baby steps to help them become more committed to the project. They may begin to contribute in other ways as their expertise in this department improves.

iv) Not many players have been playing the new maps/mods posted in the forums. Thus map creators were disappointed when they didn't receive a decent amount of feedback for their work. For example, Rman Virgil has come up with a great map which not many have played, and he only got constructive feedback from a WZ|Developer, namely Zarel (I may have missed out others, but that's not the point). His map has the potential to become a new campaign in WZ2100, and strangely not many seems to be aware of. KukY also took the trouble of making some mods but never got much feedback from people who requested it.

v) Hopefully we will see more members trying out new maps/mods in this process, and thus increase forum activity.
Last edited by JDW on 10 Jul 2010, 14:37, edited 2 times in total.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
KukY
Regular
Regular

Re: WZ|Map/Mod Tester : New Contributor Role for Members

Post by KukY »

Well, if that will become true, then we surely need Mapper/Modder ranks before those.
j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:KukY also took the trouble of making some mods but never got much feedback from people who requested it.
Well, that one is mostly because I post on my own forum, not here. But the only reason is that attachment limits are driving me crazy! :stressed:
m1ndgames
Trained
Trained

Post by m1ndgames »

KukY wrote:Well, that one is mostly because I post on my own forum, not here. But the only reason is that attachment limits are driving me crazy! :stressed:
why dont you use rapidshare or something else?
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

KukY wrote:Well, if that will become true, then we surely need Mapper/Modder ranks before those.
Really? But WZ|Contributor has managed without rankings. And Mods and Maps already do have ratings for quick judgement on Addons. I think it would work better without ranks, so as not to induce a "holier than thou" attitude. Everyone should get the same treatment and acknowledgement. Just like how WZ|Developers don't have any ranks amongst them. :hmm:
KukY wrote:Well, that one is mostly because I post on my own forum, not here. But the only reason is that attachment limits are driving me crazy!
Ok, but that's besides the point, have you received much feedback?
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:Really? But WZ|Contributor has managed without rankings. And Mods and Maps already do have ratings for quick judgement on Addons. I think it would work better without ranks, so as not to induce a "holier than thou" attitude. Everyone should get equal priority. Just like how WZ|Developers don't have any ranks amongst them. :hmm:
All those 'tags' you are talking about are actually ranks...
Look:
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=913
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=744
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=14
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1571
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=110
j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:Ok, but that's besides the point, have you received much feedback?
Not really.
Have a look: http://kuky.99k.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=8
Lots of views, not much downloads and almost none replies. In any way.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Ok, I thought you meant having ranks based on experience within WZ|Map/Mod Tester, like greenhorn, veteran, etc.
KukY wrote:
j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:Ok, but that's besides the point, have you received much feedback?
Not really.
Have a look: http://kuky.99k.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=8
Lots of views, not much downloads and almost none replies. In any way.
That's what I am hoping that this will improve, and also help improve activity among forum members.
-- Ambrose Bierce
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

And KukY, I was talking about this mod of yours and your reaction,
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5407&p=59358&hilit=tested#p59350
-- Ambrose Bierce
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:That's what I am hoping that this will improve, and also help improve activity among forum members.
Well, I want that one. I, personaly, don't play WZ much, but I make a mod/map, have some fun with it and then publish it so others can also have fun with it, and give me feedback to improve it with new things.
j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:And KukY, I was talking about this mod of yours and your reaction,
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5407&p=59358#p59350
On that mod: None!
I made that mod, and I still have no idea what it does... :roll:
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

We have traditionally tried to keep the number of contributors fairly low. After all, badges kind of lose their effect if everyone has one. They used to be only people who had their material committed to the repository, and did the kind of work that would eventually give them a staff position if they continued.

Then, a lot of people got promoted to contributor without much discussion. To be fair, I did some of it myself. I'm not sure what Contributor means now, but we still don't give the position to mappers and such.

Contributor is a rank given for exceptional work. We recognize and appreciate that all community members contribute to an extent. But forum rankings only differ between Staff, Contributor, and regular members, and I don't think adding more rankings will help.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Zarel wrote:After all, badges kind of lose their effect if everyone has one
I understand what you mean, it's not a perk if everyone's got it. So make it something to be earned, which would be more challenging. And, IMHO, I think you need to show newbies a carrot to get them moving. :hmm:
-- Ambrose Bierce
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Zarel wrote:Contributor is a rank given for exceptional work. We recognize and appreciate that all community members contribute to an extent. But forum rankings only differ between Staff, Contributor, and regular members, and I don't think adding more rankings will help.

I see your point, I think my suggestion is not helpful at all, it will make matters worse. Well, it's back to the drawing board for me.

Adios :wink:
-- Ambrose Bierce
Boris
Trained
Trained

Post by Boris »

Jos.Did you read the topic viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5859 .I am already said something like this many times but it seems that people do not read or understand seriously.I say again that the mode or map test first and then comment on.. While many of us experienced and do not play Warzone, I personally test many times map before is completed. (always be better), but can not of course that pleases everyone, because we all have a different opinion. Rating is completely unnecessarily.Because not the forum to compete but to improve and refine the game.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Boris wrote:I am already said something like this many times but it seems that people do not read or understand seriously.I say again that the mode or map test first and then comment on..
The proposed idea by me was probably a bad one, but the ultimate goal was to get more people to try mods and maps and provide constructive feedback to the creators. Perhaps you can suggest a better way to get more members to try new maps/mods?
-- Ambrose Bierce
Boris
Trained
Trained

Post by Boris »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote: Perhaps you can suggest a better way to get more members to try new maps/mods?
when you ask. I have. I will be brief. A little harder to make but with a good team it is possible. You need to programs such as flame and edit world can create a password when creating a map so that no one else can open ( only the Warzone game ). In this way the author have Protection .If you used worldedit for warcraft then you know exactly What I am talking.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Erm, Boris, if you're suggesting DRM, then no, Warzone will never have that.