Discussion about tank traps/useless objects

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Discussion about tank traps/useless objects

Post by macuser »

OK what is the point of tank traps. I mean seriously what? They are so easy to destroy and you can pretty much get hardcrete within a few minutes of them being available.

Post your rants raves and jokes about tank traps and other useless objects in wz here :wink:
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
BaseCommanderPye
Greenhorn

Re: Discussion about tank traps/useless objects

Post by BaseCommanderPye »

Tank traps are good for use in the campaign, the enemy won't target them unless you have something like a unit or structure behind them. Good for limiting enemy movement. :lecture:
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

If Tank traps were removed from the game, then you would see feature requests from newbies (who were not aware that tank traps existed) asking for them in the game as a new feature.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
m1ndgames
Trained
Trained

Post by m1ndgames »

i never used em.. feel free to drop the traps :)
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:If Tank traps were removed from the game, then you would see feature requests from newbies (who were not aware that tank traps existed) asking for them in the game as a new feature.

LOL :lol2: :lol2:
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

macuser wrote:
j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:If Tank traps were removed from the game, then you would see feature requests from newbies (who were not aware that tank traps existed) asking for them in the game as a new feature.

LOL :lol2: :lol2:
That would be an ... interesting experiment.
Bring back...ducks!
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

I make good use of them in Aqua. :) Like in many things, unconventional thinking can be profitable. Take "Post-its".... started as a "failed" glue... has probably made a Billion $$ for 3M since that initial perceived "uselessness".

As for my good use of them - I could explain in detail but you should be able to easily infer even from a mere cursory look at just how i use them. ;) Theory is useful - so is hard evidence.

- Mitaguyasin, :ninja:
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Rman Virgil wrote:.

I make good use of them in Aqua. :) Like in many things, unconventional thinking can be profitable. Take "Post-its".... started as a "failed" glue... has probably made a Billion $$ for 3M since that initial perceived "uselessness".

Didn't know that. :)

The only time that I used tank traps was in the first campaign i think. Honestly, I prefer them as being still available even though I never use them.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:Didn't know that. :)

The only time that I used tank traps was in the first campaign i think. Honestly, I prefer them as being still available even though I never use them.
Here's the deal... I mostly don't build 'em for myself either for the same reasons as every one else... however...

In Aqua.... the Scavs use them to delay enemy units (YOU !) so that during the delay enemy units can take more of a pounding from their "primitive" IF & DF weaps as they attempt to capture key geography and thus without any Stat Modding Scavs can take out heavies like Tiger & Python Tracks.

- RV :ninja:

JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Rman Virgil wrote:

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:Didn't know that. :)

Here's the deal... I mostly don't build 'em for myself either for the same reasons as every one else... however...

In Aqua.... the Scavs use them to delay enemy units (YOU !) so that during the delay enemy units can take more of a pounding from their "primitive" IF & DF weaps as they attempt to capture key geography and thus without any Stat Modding Scavs can take out heavies like Tiger & Python Tracks.

- RV :ninja:

What I meant was that I didn't know about that interesting fact about "Post-its". Sorry if I wasn't clear. :)

And your use of tank traps seems very wise. It makes good sense to use them like that.
-- Ambrose Bierce
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

One idea would be to make tank traps like gates (sink into the ground when friendly units are nearby). Still wouldn't make them very useful, but at least they'd be fun to use, and an interesting stopgap before "real" gates later on in the tech tree.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Or perhaps actually "trap" the tank.
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

macuser wrote:Or perhaps actually "trap" the tank.
Post of the day! XD
-- Ambrose Bierce
Saberuneko
Regular
Regular

Post by Saberuneko »

Hehe! I thought that was their function the first time I played warzone on PS1. The traps, for getting the enemy units stuck.

"They've fallen into the trap!" But then, I realised they were just like cheap walls. :/
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Zarel wrote:One idea would be to make tank traps like gates (sink into the ground when friendly units are nearby). Still wouldn't make them very useful, but at least they'd be fun to use, and an interesting stopgap before "real" gates later on in the tech tree.
I actually love this idea. I'm thinking that there's a good possibility for tank traps to be this smart by the year 2100. And it would also help make my own movement around my tank trap studded base way easier. I always felt like this was a major hindrance to use them. If this feature were ever to be implemented in the game, I bet everyone would start using them from the get-go.
-- Ambrose Bierce