Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
useless player
New user

Post by useless player »

Hi just getting into the game. I am trying to get my setting right. Every time I start a game and start getting set up I am just obliterated by the other side who have far superior weapons than I have. I stand no chance, its quite dispiriting that you can't even have a chance to get off the ground. I am just a single player and not been a great games player but would like to relax without getting annihilated every time. Looking forward to your replies.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Re: Newbie

Post by Berg »

easy.gif
To make it easy for yourself and have time to learn you can set one AI to easy note image above and set the other AI's off

Regards berg
kringled
Trained
Trained

Post by kringled »

Also, while some elements of the campaign play differently from skirmish/MP, it can provide a way for someone to learn some of the way game features work in a slow/measured way - different elements are introduced slowly, and research is rarely as pressing as in skirmish/MP. This game has enough going on that it can be a bit overwhelming at first.
banson
Rookie
Rookie

Post by banson »

play the campain mode first. ull get the idea of how to murderlize the waste land zombies soon enough with machinegun vehicals.. and it can be quite fun too as you experiment how to kill them
KenAlcock
Trained
Trained

Post by KenAlcock »

After you play Campaign for awhile, go back and skirmish the AIs, increasing the AI difficulty (and number of AIs) after each win you achieve. If you are ever online during the times I play, we can do a comp stomp--you and I versus a team of AIs and I will give you some pointers in-game.

Also, familiarize yourself with the Tech Tree and the user guide. Understanding each weapon's strengths and weaknesses is one key to Warzone success. Understanding which research to prioritize is one crucial key to multiplayer game success.

Above all else, keep playing and keep your eyes open. One thing that always annoys me is when people leave games when they are beat. This is not because I want the win statistics so bad, but rather because losing is a learning opportunity. If you could win a game every time you played it, what would be the point of playing it in the first place? Without the prospect of losing, winning holds no value at all. Also winning some game the first time you play it offers no potential for learning at all. Why did you win? How did you win? What were the key success factors? When you win a game these are not as apparent. But when you lose a game, you have an opportunity to analyze what your opponent did. What type of units did he use? How many units? Where did he attack first? Did you lose your first army by attacking too soon or with too few units? If you find yourself on the losing end of any game in life ask yourself these types questions and pay attention to the answers and you will become a better and smarter player of that game.
My game handle is Cosmic Raven or Cosmic Raven 68
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

KenAlcock wrote:One thing that always annoys me is when people leave games when they are beat.
This is always interesting.

If you watch competitive tournament of games like Chess, StarCraft, or Twixt, you see it's often standard to resign well before an actual, in-game loss.

In other cases, though, it's considered poor form.

It seems that the biggest difference is whether or not it's casual play.

In non-casual play, the goal might not necessarily be to win, but to provide a challenge that a player can learn from. Once a winner is guaranteed, further play is pointless, since not only is it unnecessary to determine a winner, but it doesn't teach either player how to play better, so in tournaments, forfeits are even encouraged.

In casual play, the goal is to have fun, and, well, destroying an enemy base is fun. In casual play, I usually just stay in the game so the other player can have their fun actually destroying my base. I've been alt+tabbing away from the game when that happens, so it's not like it matters to me. :P

In some games, though, forfeits before the game ends are common, even in casual play. Twixt is one example - I can honestly say I've never played a single Twixt game to completion - someone always resigns before that happens. It's probably because it's not a game in which you destroy your opponents, like Warzone or Chess, so playing to the end is less fun. :P
KenAlcock wrote:This is not because I want the win statistics so bad
It better not be, since you get the win statistics if the other player quits/resigns, too. :P
Verin
Trained
Trained

Post by Verin »

I usually stay in a server until the de-briefing is up. If I am the host, Im almost always the last to exit.
My multiplayer name is Verin
Usually in ideas and suggestions.
I Am also an ASE certified technician.
WarTux
Trained
Trained

Post by WarTux »

First post!

Anyway...
I too am a bit of a Warzone n00b- so far I haven't played on multiplayer, but I have gotten pretty good against the stock AI (as another thread mentioned, first it'll be too hard, then suddenly it will be very easy ;) ). Here are a few tips:
  • Check out the strategies of more experienced players. In particular I recommend checking out Daltx's videos on YouTube.
  • Be conservative on power management and aggressive at the same time. In other words, don't waste all your power (like the AI does), but don't be afraid to go rock-bottom 0 temporarily. In fact, this is common early-game where your power generators aren't very efficient, you probably haven't acquired very many oil derricks, and the emphasis is on building a big army to protect your base and secure terriroty.
  • Always research! (Unless power management is of concern.) Have at least 2 or 3 research facilities ready to go. Try to stay on top of the AI in terms of tech progress.
  • Be aggressive! Sure, you can survive by turtling and building massive artillery, direct, and AA defenses and researching, but you can't win the game that way, can you? Build a big army, send it into enemy territory, capture oil derricks, kill any annoying scavengers and use your trucks to seal off chokepoints with defenses.
  • Research a new weapon? Get its upgrades too! In particular, go for machinegun upgrades- machineguns are good all-rounders early-game, and later, they will be good anti-cyborg weapons. Plus they unlock some new tech!
  • Tip: If you're versing more than 1 AI, I recommend turning alliances off. Otherwise the AIs will just form tangled alliances with each other and their combined unit/research capacity will far exceed yours.
Warzone nicknames: WarTux[BDC], ChuckNorris-BDC, DeathStar, etc.
Part of the Black Dragon Clan; apply today, we welcome most! :3
On the Warzone IRC channel you can find me hanging out with the BDC dudes or messing with the bot.
Outlaw325
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Outlaw325 »

Few tips to add on to the above, I've always found them to save my backside one way or another.

- Make a point of defending any spots that an attack could come from. When I say defend, I don't mean blocking it off. A few bunkers and mortars will see off all but the most dedicated attacks early on in a game.

-Try and get good Anti Tank weapons as quickly as possible. I always make a beeline for the Lancer rockets ASAP, and these are excellent for defence AND offence. Defensively, a well placed barrage of Lancers can often take out more than one tank per salvo (I've often had all my hardpoints going for one enemy, that enemy dies, and the rest end up smacking around a few others).

- Assault guns. These things are just win as far as I'm concerned. You can get the normal one pretty quickly, by researching the refire rate upgrades as soon as you get them. Heck, I've often had AGs before I've even got Tank Killers. Not to mention you will unlock the epic Whirlwind AA turret, which is absolutely lethal to any air attack that's inbound.

-Power generation tech should be pretty high on the list of things to research, besides the research upgrades. I've often hit 100k power because I got Vapor Turbines pretty quickly, often within the first hour of a game starting. Such a high power reserve means you can often churn out the most expensive units just about limitlessly.

-And of course, variety. A mixed group of units will often do well against anything (as one such match of mine showed- 12 units absolutely STOMPED about 100 or so without a single one needing to retreat). I tend to go for MG/Cannon/Rocket like in the campaign, but I often mix in Lasers and Railguns too come late game.

Hope this helps some :) Oh, and one other thing. I started Skirmish having the AI slider set to min, and then creeping it up steadily as I won more games. I can safely say I've gone 3 on 1 against the maximum difficulty AI and won :D
Overkill- So rarely needed, so often fun.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Berg wrote:Image

To make it easy for yourself and have time to learn you can set one AI to easy note image above and set the other AI's off

Regards berg
Would it be better for newbies if the image that Berg posted above was well explained in the guide in a way similar to how RV detailed his maps?
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:
Berg wrote:Image

Regards berg
Would it be better for newbies if the image that Berg posted above was well explained in the guide in a way similar to how RV detailed his maps?
You have a point there. I'd like Zarel to post his POV.
Bring back...ducks!
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Or maybe, when the player is in the game menu, and when the mouse is made to hover over the buttons/spaces, a tiny bubble displays what exactly that setting does.

This is just another way to go about the same earlier suggestion. The earlier suggestion would be in the guide, whereas this one would be right in the game. Anyway would be fine, IMO, as long as players know what each setting does.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Outlaw325 wrote:I've often hit 100k power because I got Vapor Turbines pretty quickly, often within the first hour of a game starting.
...erm, you're playing on maps with more than 6 power near the starting base, aren't you? Those maps are unbalanced.

Then again, you said "within the first hour". I'm thinking of standard half-hour games, in which you've only just gotten through a few of the Vapor Turbine researches when the game ends.
j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:Would it be better for newbies if the image that Berg posted above was well explained in the guide in a way similar to how RV detailed his maps?
Yes.

BlueMaxima, isn't that one of the things I told you to do like a year ago? :P "Write a manual" means "describe every screen of the game that isn't self-explanatory".
j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:Or maybe, when the player is in the game menu, and when the mouse is made to hover over the buttons/spaces, a tiny bubble displays what exactly that setting does.
We don't already do that? We should. :|
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Zarel wrote:
j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:Or maybe, when the player is in the game menu, and when the mouse is made to hover over the buttons/spaces, a tiny bubble displays what exactly that setting does.
We don't already do that? We should. :|
Erm, I think it already does. Sorry. :oops:
-- Ambrose Bierce
Outlaw325
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Outlaw325 »

Zarel wrote:
Outlaw325 wrote:I've often hit 100k power because I got Vapor Turbines pretty quickly, often within the first hour of a game starting.
...erm, you're playing on maps with more than 6 power near the starting base, aren't you? Those maps are unbalanced.

Then again, you said "within the first hour". I'm thinking of standard half-hour games, in which you've only just gotten through a few of the Vapor Turbine researches when the game ends.
It depends, really. After the first half hour or so, I start getting power generation which can't really be slowed down no matter what I do, even with just 8 oil derricks (I have a habit of setting the power gen limit to 2 to try and avoid rushing, which annoys the hell out of me). Most of the maps I play on have 8 in the start base, but a LOT have just 2-4 as well, meaning I gotta go swipe some other poor bugger's oil derricks or make a near suicidal lunge for the 'central' derricks (on maps like Cockpit and Cockate, this is especially true, since if you control the central 'square', you pretty much auto-win).
Overkill- So rarely needed, so often fun.