Again Multiplayer Stuff

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Again Multiplayer Stuff

Post by Terminator »

Adding new features & master server conected with MP game is a little disturbing me so I decided to write a little about it, may be somebody will think a little about this.

About an async thing I already wrote in other topic so here I will talk about stuff in MP :

1)old thing that I'm trying to tell a backspace "holding" delete text in masseges or names.

& also must be a multiple selection using a mous like in notpad & so on..

2) continue 1)-point its influence on MP chat system. It was also mentioned in other topics. For Exemple : impossible or too difficulte to send a privet massages (PM). Turn off all radio swiches its not a decision.
I remember in 1.10 were pm like this:

"Jhon: attack him NOW" or "John, Mason: attack him NOW"

or to make a command simboles(channel chat system) when typing "/t"  for team chat channel. "/p text" - for PM massage. Something like that.

- also It would be better for MP if every player had his own text colour(for exemple the color of his units may be suits better) & channel color were.

3)if someone remember wz  have scores in MP game. I dont know for what but it has. So At curent time its working wrong. Host count only its own scores & client score count its own & this score is for everyone(means that everyone in game have same number).

Somewhere were idia of "game time limit":

UrbanVoyeur
Just a thought on the turtling/long game thing:

How about a game with a countdown ?
-to a psycho satellite that randomly blasts both sides
-to a time when all fortifications disappear

Or decaying fixed fortifications - All fixed fortifications weaken over time - roll back through research 'crete stages, then disappear. The long you play the faster the decay. While at the same time fighting units gain experience faster.

This might be fun for skirmishing against the computer too.
so if to implement this thing scores can be usefull. anyway scores mustr be fixed

4)modify main menu: when entering to multiplayer as for me there must be options like this:
[MP mode]
" Play On-Line "  //that new masterserver lobby
" Fixed server "   //renamed internet game manual IP typing
" LAN game "      // as for me its will be good if some one wants to play in local network & dont type always ip.
[selected mode func.]  //Next screen
" Host "
" Join "

But wants to make a joining by default immediately after [mp mode] choice. & Host button put somewherer near the games list. But using [selected mode func.] good too.

5) & last aone that I wanted to write here is that when you joined wz game & somebody change his color or number its always like reload whole host with new settings. Its looks like gliche.
-------

What you all think about this stuff ? What your opinion ?
Last edited by Terminator on 03 Jun 2007, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Giel
Regular
Regular

Re: Again Multiplayer Stuff

Post by Giel »

1 & 2: So if I understand correctly you would want to see these changes/additions to the chat system:
  • text-editing widget should support holding keys down, and act on it as if it is being pushed repeatedly
  • text-editing widget should support selecting pieces of text (with mouse)
  • support the ability to send chat-messages to multiple "channels" (e.g. a single person, a single team, and all players)
As for sending to multiple channels, I think it would be a viable and important feature. The holding a key is more of a convenience feature (yet still reasonably important). Selecting stuff with the mouse however is probably very difficult to implement (with the current GUI code) and less important IMO.

4: There currently is no distinction between what you call "Play On-Line" and "Fixed server", i.e., in both cases your game can be found on the lobbyserver, and in both cases people can use an IP to join you.
As for the "LAN game" thingy. I believe you mean to say, that people on your LAN should simply be able to "see" all games provided on the current LAN. That requires an IPv4 local-subnet broadcast, or in case of IPv6, sending to the router's anycast address (ff02::1). This is possible, not very easy though (well the IPv6 case is easy, but implementing IPv6 in the first place is not easy).

As for modifying the menu, I personally think we should simply drop the first one and only use the Host/Join game menu.

5: This probably is the result from using a poor (stateless?) protocol.

I do think this is in need of fixing (i.e. the entire protocol, not just that single one symptom your describing).
Last edited by Giel on 04 Jun 2007, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

text-editing widget should support holding keys down, and act on it as if it is being pushed repeatedly
Yes you are right.
text-editing widget should support selecting pieces of text (with mouse)
Yes if this is not so difficulte to use mouse.
Selecting stuff with the mouse however is probably very difficult to implement (with the current GUI code) and less important IMO.
But using "shift" button will be good too.

exemple: I wrote 100 symbols, I holdownd SHIFT & using arrows keys(left or right > navigation) to select. or just press "end" & "delete" with "shift" & whole string are gone.
support the ability to send chat-messages to multiple "channels" (e.g. a single person, a single team, and all players)
Yes.  & use a textplayer color or channel color.
There currently is no distinction between what you call "Play On-Line" and "Fixed server", i.e., in both cases your game can be found on the lobbyserver, and in both cases people can use an IP to join you.
there is a obstacle that I still dont understand how will work this new Masterserver. WRP must to make a pre-beta 2.0.7 for public at first & than to fix a little.
I believe you mean to say, that people on your LAN should simply be able to "see" all games provided on the current LAN
Yes. It was in 1.10 so.... Was it removed from original 1.10 source code ?
5: This probably is the result from using a poor (stateless?) protocol.

I do think this is in need of fixing (i.e. the entire protocol, not just that single one symptom your describing).
Yes its not so important at this moment. But it is a "bug" if I can say so.

Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Forget about one little thing. Its would be nice if mp limit settings can be saved in config file...or change default limits. Because Every srart default set is maximum limit.

Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

Terminator wrote: But using "shift" button will be good too.

exemple: I wrote 100 symbols, I holdownd SHIFT & using arrows keys(left or right > navigation) to select. or just press "end" & "delete" with "shift" & whole string are gone.
I won't claim it will be anywhere near easy to implement SHIFT selection, it will be easier than mouse selection though. Considering however that the GUI code is a big mess this feature will most certainly not be seen in 2.0.7. Maybe, 2.1. Before that though I think we should first clean out the GUI code (to be able to actually accomplish something).
Terminator wrote:
Giel wrote:
  • support the ability to send chat-messages to multiple "channels" (e.g. a single person, a single team, and all players)
Yes.  & use a textplayer color or channel color.
This one probably is the easiest of all and as such stands the best chance of being implemented ;)
Terminator wrote: there is a obstacle that I still dont understand how will work this new Masterserver. WRP must to make a pre-beta 2.0.7 for public at first & than to fix a little.
This lobbyserver (masterserver really isn't a very descriptive name) will work quite simply really; all that's needed to host a game on the lobbyserver is to host a game in warzone. It will automatically connect to the lobbyserver and register it's game to the lobbyserver.
Then if someone chooses "Join game" in the menu, warzone will connect to the lobbyserver and retrieve a list of games open for joining.
Terminator wrote:
Giel wrote: I believe you mean to say, that people on your LAN should simply be able to "see" all games provided on the current LAN.
Yes. It was in 1.10 so.... Was it removed from original 1.10 source code ?
I honestly wouldn't know whether it is removed or just deactivated. The networking code is (unfortunately) tightly coupled with the GUI code at some places, and the GUI code is rather obfuscated. This would have to be investigated.
Terminator wrote:
Giel wrote: 5: This probably is the result from using a poor (stateless?) protocol.

Yes its not so important at this moment. But it is a "bug" if I can say so.
Well, not a bug really, just the lack of a feature (i.e. asynchronous and/or incremental updating of game info).
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
Serman
Trained
Trained

Post by Serman »

Another thing i'd like to be able to do, is select my enemy's color, in One-Player Skirmish, in case I wanna do a little campaign like thing.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

Giel wrote: support the ability to send chat-messages to multiple "channels" (e.g. a single person, a single team, and all players)
warzone was supposed to have something like this from version 1.0... you press t, then type the numbers of the players you want to send to, followed by a space, then the message. so if you wanted to send to players 2 and 5, you'd press t, then type

25 this is some message[enter]
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

warzone was supposed to have something like this from version 1.0... you press t, then type the numbers of the players you want to send to, followed by a space, then the message. so if you wanted to send to players 2 and 5, you'd press t, then type
Yes its true. I tested today that thing. Seems its work. But this function I think must be a little modifered... But idia of channels sounds better......anyway will see after 2.0.7 release more players will play & if will be problems with that someone must to say.

But colour text is still actual :)
Last edited by Terminator on 05 Jun 2007, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.

DFStormbringer
Trained
Trained

Post by DFStormbringer »

colored text in relevanc to the player is NOT reccomend as 90% of the games colors focus arond black... the black teams text would never be seen.
so standardized colors would have to be achieved.. one color for teamates... one for enemies.. one for system commands.  red, green, and white respectivly are common in most MP games and seem to work well.
blue or yellow for private messages/ whispers and so forth.
-= Dare not meddle within the affairs of we dragons for you are crunchy and flavor well with bbq sauce =-

-=Build a man a fire and hes warm for a night. Set a man on fire and hes warm for the rest of his life=-
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Ok. Continue old theme.

First of all I’m very thankful to WRP team that bring us a new MasterServer (MS) feature . I’m very glad & happy to use it. :) Thanks Dudes !

Well as 2.0.7 out & MS added so some bug are always present in all products. First  testing games were the most interesting  especially when playing with Dev & Kreuvf  ;D

Anyway…

1)Lobby  Entrance: when entering the lobby everything fine if returning from Room(ex:192.168.0.1)  to lobby wz backs to last host lobby & refresh 192.168.0.1 address. I don’t know is it right ?

2)Refreshing lobby: lobby refresh when you just entered & that’s all. You will need each time to push ref. button.
Need to be done autorefresh. 5 sec limit I think enough.

3)InfoGame: when moving mouse on created game & hold  so shows like “Hint: with game name which already written. So may be change that info on something usefull like : HOST ping, Map Name. Or this is cant be changes ?

4)Game icon the same. Skirmish icon (Human vs. BOTS) . Better if user see what game mode HOSTed. (TeamPlay,CAmpaing, Or Skirmish)

5)Router hosts thing was fixed so its OK.

6)For what that little green cyrcle near gamemode icon ? Always se but never think about it.

7)Last one have no chance to see how will be showen games list if created games will be not 2 or 3 but 10 or 20. Will be a something like a scroll …or …don’t know.

Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

I already said this thing about scores & not only so here is screenshot for more info & thoughts.

clien & host stat shows only their own replacing real numbers
Attachments
for post client.PNG