Trying out linux

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Leatherwolf
New user

Trying out linux

Post by Leatherwolf »

All the linux  talk got me to get Ubunto and give it a try :) So far i am having fun with it. Only problem I am having is getting the ATI driver to work. So if anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate the help. No rush I have my system set up to dual boot, because of my lack of linux know how  ;D
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Re: Trying out linux

Post by Kamaze »

There is a tool named Automatix2, i don't know if it installs ATI drivers too, but NVidia drivers are supported, any many things more :)
For linux related problems, i would consult the correct support forum. (i.e. ubuntu support forums)
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

I have no idea how to setup them on Ubuntu, but lately I read some comments about them:
http://www.linuxgames.com/news/feedback ... n=flatview
So it seems since the day I removed my ATI R 9.0 and got me a Nvidia GF 4.6 not much has changed. Except that they are apparently very crashy and probably still horribly slow compared to the Nvidia drivers...
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

DevUrandom wrote: I have no idea how to setup them on Ubuntu, but lately I read some comments about them:
http://www.linuxgames.com/news/feedback ... n=flatview
So it seems since the day I removed my ATI R 9.0 and got me a Nvidia GF 4.6 not much has changed. Except that they are apparently very crashy and probably still horribly slow compared to the Nvidia drivers...
Yes, I remember from the days I had an ATI Radeon 9600 it was A) a huge pain in the ass to simply get the ATI drivers running in the first place. Then B) they performed worse most of the times than the regular vesa driver when operating in 2D mode. nVidia gfx drivers for Linux are much better in my opinion (although they have their flaws as well).
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
cubanresourceful
Greenhorn

Post by cubanresourceful »

Try running Ubuntu on a S3 graphics card, I cannot seem to get 3D acceleration at all. Thats why I use my laptop for ubuntu, it has an integrated GeForce4. :D
cegrocks
Greenhorn

Post by cegrocks »

You should go onto Ubuntu's website and check their compatability list. Otherwise go to their forums/IRC channel and make a post somewhere and they will help you.

Also, did you install WINE?
ImageImage
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

cegrocks wrote: Also, did you install WINE?
Why would he?

You don't need WINE to run Warzone for example. And it would most certainly be of no help at all in getting drivers to work. That is to say you CANNOT use windows drivers with the Linux kernel (at least not with the aid of WINE).
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
kipman725
Trained
Trained

Post by kipman725 »

I wouldn't use automatix as it messes up apt-get, ATI drivers are very poor and have about 1/2 the fps of the windows versions at best.  I felt like kicking myself after I bought an x1950 and check the performance figures AFTER purchase... may as well stuck with my 5900xt for Linux gaming! 

The ubuntu forums have very good howto's on getting the ATI drivers working, I would recomend the most recent version even if it means extra work.  For nvidia drivers my latest version of ubuntu was able to auto download and install nvidia drivers after displaying a legal warning, I was seriously impressed.
Duel Heavy Cannon Python Tracks... gonna roll right over you
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

Giel wrote: You don't need WINE to run Warzone for example. And it would most certainly be of no help at all in getting drivers to work. That is to say you CANNOT use windows drivers with the Linux kernel (at least not with the aid of WINE).
there are ways to get linux i386 to use certain windows drivers, and most notably in the case of some wifi drivers, this is currently the only way to use that hardware... though if you consider that you'll often be ignored when asking for help if you say you're running with proprietary linux drivers, you'll probably make some blacklist if you say you're using proprietary windows drivers.