Models by macuser

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Re: Models by macuser

Post by Emdek »

Maybe simply "double wall"?
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

nah... needs to be fancy :twisted:
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I guess this wall will only be thicker, not technologically superior. Maybe "citadel wall" / "fortress wall" is more describing in that case
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

Meh, depends on your taste i like citadel wall though... i may have to make a citadel >:)
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

just heavy wall sounds fine :)
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Here is the uv map and model for the single wall. If you could do the textures for it jorzi that would be great :) .

-regards macuser
Attachments
Archive.zip
(5.36 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
wall.png
wall.png (3.17 KiB) Viewed 6074 times
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I'm sorry to be so harsh but I'm afraid this model wont make it into the game unless you remake it from scratch. Not because of the design but because of the mesh structure.
You made this in sketchup or 3dsmax? Either way the program apparently doesn't tell you much about the mesh topology. Either that or the exporter has some serious problems. The mesh may work properly in the 3d program but not in the game.

-All your faces should be quads or triangles. Other faces are called n-gons and can only be handled by advanced 3d programs, where they are automatically converted to tris before being rendered by the graphics card. Unfortunately sketchup always uses n-gons but that can be handled as long as the mesh is otherwise clean

-The mesh should be an empty shell with no innner structures. When you look at your mesh from the inside, it should look like a casting mold for your mesh. Each edge should only be connected to one or two faces. You can, however, have two intersecting meshes as long as they're two separate, clean meshes. You should be able to move the intersecting piece without affecting the other piece

-Avoid vertices in the middle of an edge and "invisible" faces. Invisible faces are faces with an area of 0, for example a triangle where one edge has a length of 0 or all edges are on the same line.

-The UV map should not be a projection of the model from different sides. That's not how it works. Think of a paper model. The faces shuld be arranged so that they could be physically printed, cut out and folded back into something that resembles the original model. Minor distortions in the proportions of the faces are, however, allowed and often necessary to reduce the number of seams.

I know, this is tedious and can sometimes be up to 80% of the work done, but hopefully you won't be discouraged. You can only learn by doing, unless you find some expensive 3d school, but that is usually not an option.
ImageImage
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Thank you jorzi, All things DO work together for good. if you had not gotten me to completely redo them from scratch, then I would not have been able to further reduce the poly count. single wall: 34 polys!! other walls still in the works.

-regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

KK, finished the other models, polys are AMAZINGLY low. hardpoint: 49, double wall: 15, double hardpoint/fortress: 57. Now on to uv mapping.

-regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Sounds good :)
Hopefully you had some help from my previous post
ImageImage
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Hmm something wierd is going on here O_o . Whenever I go to uv map my model (it IS triangulated) it adds a face to it in front of the left pane of the wall. Here is the model for ppl to look at maybe you can tell me whaat in the world I am doing wrong O_o .

-regards macuser
Attachments
Archive.zip
(2.82 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

You have extra faces added to the front and back of your wall.
here is a screen shot.
Hope you can see what i mean.
Forum is not letting me upload images.
putting it in tinypic Image
Note the dark section at the top of your wall is faces the wrong way around.
Hope this helps.
Regards Berg
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Yes that red face is what I am talking about. Whats going on with it? how do I stop it from coming back when I uv map? BTW what program are you using?
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

macuser wrote:Yes that red face is what I am talking about. Whats going on with it? how do I stop it from coming back when I uv map?
I would delete the faces it looks like extras.
I deleted them in my 3d program and you wall looks ok although you have a good many faces facing inwards you will need to turn them to face out.
I do note that you have faces on the bottom of your wall these are not needed as the wall site on the ground and you can not see them anyway.
It does seem that the 2 extra triangles can be deleted without hurting your model.
How many faces do you wish to keep your wall below?
regards Berg
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Thnx berg,

1. prob below 100 polys
2. when I delete it and go back to do the uv map the face comes back O_o
3. I will delete those faces on the bottom
4. Just curios, what program are you using?
ArtRev Website

ImageImage