flaME -- The Warzone 2100 Map Editor [pre 1.10 thread]

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

flaME -- The Warzone 2100 Map Editor [pre 1.10 thread]

Post by BlueMaxima »

flail13: I've moved the controls into the manual, you can delete those now
Last edited by Buginator on 18 Oct 2010, 05:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: split from main thread to start a new chapter with FlaME. :)
Bring back...ducks!
KukY
Regular
Regular

Re: flaME -- The Warzone 2100 Map Editor

Post by KukY »

BlueMaxima wrote:flail13: I've moved the controls into the manual, you can delete those now
No, don't do it, it's handy to have those here.
Dylan Hsu
Banned
Banned

Post by Dylan Hsu »

I need words/captions/anything to describe the features, can't just rely on indiscriminate icons.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Dylan Hsu wrote:I need words/captions/anything to describe the features, can't just rely on indiscriminate icons.
Then suggest that and ask nicely, perhaps? It doesn't hurt anybody. Try wearing different hats sometimes, it's a learning/growing experience all the way around :P

I agree that having text labels along with the icons would help a lot. Maybe make it toggleable, like windows' custom toolbars? This way, the experienced users can toggle it off so that it doesn't take horizontal space in the screen (it should be activated by default, of course).

Can this be done for the next version? It'd help make flaME even more user-friendly.

~Olrox
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

Heh heh, what would he write though? If he were to write anything different to my manual, I'd have to rewrite...AND I AM NOT HAPPY WHEN I REWRITE :P
Bring back...ducks!
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

BlueMaxima wrote:Heh heh, what would he write though? If he were to write anything different to my manual, I'd have to rewrite...AND I AM NOT HAPPY WHEN I REWRITE :P
As far as I remember, you wrote in guide that you are doing it in order to practice writing documentation.
Well, rewriting is also part of documentation writing, so enjoy practicing :P
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

The current installer for flaME is horrible.
Since I started to learn NSIS script, I will also start working on a installer script that would be decent of this great editor :)
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

KukY, he said he compiles it straight from Visual Basic, so unless he manages to compile from standalone, he's probably not gonna be able to use an external installer.
Bring back...ducks!
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

I have done that MANY times with Visual Studio. when you compile the project in VB it creates a directory that contains everything and that is what needs to be installed in c:\program files.

-regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Ok, I have done the script, corrected numerous stupid mistakes, tried to compile it, corrected more mistakes, tried to compile it, corrected more mistakes, tried to compile it, corrected more mistakes, tried to compile it, corrected more mistakes, compiled it without errors, tried to install, corrected some paths, compiled, tried to install, corrected more paths, compiled, installed it, added some registry values, compiled, installed, added some missing files, compiled, installed, tested...|

:lol2: ........... O_o .......... :shock: ................ :wink: ..........
:D :D ...... XD ...... :3 .......... 8) ................... :P ..............
:o .......... :| ............... :? ........... :) ...... :wink:

It, it, it works! :cry:

It was worth it! Now I just need to make it nicer... Then it's public :D

The whole installation has around 3.5 MB including all program files, art, PDF manual, script source, and a fairly long Readme I wrote.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Great thanks, I knew you could do it! :lecture:
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

macuser wrote:Great thanks, I knew you could do it! :lecture:
:D

Hmm...
It would be much simplier if all of data files would be in a single zip archive... I mean, it's not like there isn't a zip lib already included :roll:

:shock: One of installation tries unpacked files in "system32". Now I have to clean it... :stare:
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

KukY wrote:Ok, I have done the script, corrected numerous stupid mistakes, tried to compile it, corrected more mistakes, tried to compile it, corrected more mistakes, tried to compile it, corrected more mistakes, tried to compile it, corrected more mistakes, compiled it without errors, tried to install, corrected some paths, compiled, tried to install, corrected more paths, compiled, installed it, added some registry values, compiled, installed, added some missing files, compiled, installed, tested...|

:lol2: ........... O_o .......... :shock: ................ :wink: ..........
:D :D ...... XD ...... :3 .......... 8) ................... :P ..............
:o .......... :| ............... :? ........... :) ...... :wink:

It, it, it works! :cry:

It was worth it! Now I just need to make it nicer... Then it's public :D

The whole installation has around 3.5 MB including all program files, art, PDF manual, script source, and a fairly long Readme I wrote.
AHEM. Why is that needed when my manual is in there? :P
Bring back...ducks!
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

BlueMaxima wrote:AHEM. Why is that needed when my manual is in there? :P
Manual is optional, you get Readme with core files. And it isn't so long to be a replacement for your manual.
Mats
Trained
Trained

Post by Mats »

Often I can't use the cliff brush. Sometimes it works just fine, but most of the time, where I try to use the cliff brush, the cliffs turn to the default (red) texture and then once I get in game, they are usually (maybe always) grass and not cliffs at all, just really steep slopes that units can climb. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
Full of ideas - Most are probably useless. Feel free to ignore them :)