[3.1+] Campaign time limit mod

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
NoQ
Special
Special

[3.1+] Campaign time limit mod

Post by NoQ »

Bump! Updated for the 3.1 campaign, thanks montetank for testing!

This mod makes the campaign more difficult by reducing the time limits of most levels 2 to 6 times.
This message was edited several times, because i had uploaded unfinished versions of this mod earlier.

Several missions were left untouched, like the beta evacuation mission or that last stand against the satellites.

:lecture: I have actually beaten the campaign with this mod 8) , so don't ever say you can't do it! One thing I love warzone campaign for is that it teaches you a lot of wisdom, not just "build a barracks, build a lot of units, kill everyone". You'd have to think a lot and probably sometimes take several levels back before you find out how to beat it. By the way, here is a video walkthrough with this mod.

:lecture: By the way: don't say that some level is too easy until you beat the whole campaign! If your victory is fast but coslty, you probably won't be able to beat the next level. And -- yes -- i'd like to see your version of the mod when you'll beat mine! :roll: And I'm pretty sure many pros will still find it to be too easy :) To make your version, you just adjust the timeLimit values in the *.vlo files packed into this mod; sometimes there is also a 'secondMissionTime' value.
Attachments
camtime31.wz
(106.16 KiB) Downloaded 406 times
Last edited by NoQ on 01 Nov 2013, 20:58, edited 15 times in total.
Dalton
Trained
Trained

Re: Campaign time limit mod (alpha)

Post by Dalton »

Can you add time to the two missions which currently don't have any, so people don't leave there computer on over night and get 50k. :| And say "I didn't cheat.."
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Yeah, done. Thanks for the encouragement! I don't know why the first level limit didn't work when i tried it earlier, but now it has a 7.5 min limit. The 'power module' level was a bit more tricky, but it's also limited now: you now have 5 minutes to build the power module and beat the first 'away' mission.

And i had to replay the whole campaign again :)
kringled
Trained
Trained

Post by kringled »

Do you mind if I ask, what your total game time through each of the campaigns (or the sum total) is?
My first play through everything was 33 hours of game time, but that included a lot of running out the clock for power, and that was literally the first time I played Warzone. My second run through was 26 hours for everything- 9 hours for alpha, 10 hours for beta, and 7 for gamma. I wasn't trying for a short play time but I wasn't running out the clock either.
I'm not sure if I want to try your mod - it may make things a bit stressful for me, as my play style may need more time at one stage and less at another - but I like the idea of trying for short campaign times.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Do you mind if I ask, what your total game time through each of the campaigns (or the sum total) is?
Hmm, i've never recorded it, but now i'm in the middle of the beta campaign (just recovered the VTOLs) and it says that the total game time is 04:40:21. On the other hand, i don't feel it's calculated correctly. I often play at 1.5x speed.
it may make things a bit stressful for me
Yeah. It does for me at least XD
kringled
Trained
Trained

Post by kringled »

hao wrote:
Hmm, i've never recorded it, but now i'm in the middle of the beta campaign (just recovered the VTOLs) and it says that the total game time is 04:40:21. On the other hand, i don't feel it's calculated correctly. I often play at 1.5x speed.
it may make things a bit stressful for me
Yeah. It does for me at least XD
:o That seems very fast to me. I'm not sure I can match that or even come close, but I'll see what I can do.
Are you at Normal or Hard difficulty for this? Do you think the true time would be even shorter, or longer?

Keith
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Are you at Normal or Hard difficulty for this?
On hard. But i don't know what exactly is harder on this setting :S
Do you think the true time would be even shorter, or longer?
I think it should be longer, but i can't yet prove it to make a bug report.
kringled
Trained
Trained

Post by kringled »

The answer I got is that at easy, you take 0.8x and deal 1.2x damage compared to normal. On hard, you take 1.2x and deal 0.8x damage compared to normal. It's always seemed like a somewhat subtle change to me.

Keith
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: Campaign time limit mod (beta ready!)

Post by NoQ »

Beta campaign is ready now. And it's kinda hard :)
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

kringled wrote:The answer I got is that at easy, you take 0.8x and deal 1.2x damage compared to normal. On hard, you take 1.2x and deal 0.8x damage compared to normal. It's always seemed like a somewhat subtle change to me.
Well, that's true, but it's a difference of 50% - not huge, but sizable.
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: Campaign time limit mod (complete!!)

Post by NoQ »

It's over now. I've just defeated NEXUS :lol2: , and the total game time is <10:45.
The last level's limit is set to 50 minutes. Nexus is pretty weak actually; most base levels boil down to a simple 20-minute rush. If only he used tracks, he could have easily killed us all ^_^
kringled
Trained
Trained

Post by kringled »

hao wrote:It's over now. I've just defeated NEXUS :lol2: , and the total game time is <10:45.
The last level's limit is set to 50 minutes. Nexus is pretty weak actually; most base levels boil down to a simple 20-minute rush. If only he used tracks, he could have easily killed us all ^_^
When I played conventionally, I was able to finish the last level in ~ 40-45 minutes or so. I agree that for most of the gamma levels the fighting can be done pretty quickly, but then you end up with the long research times to get to things like Scourge missles...I would guess that you ran most of that concurrently with the next level's fighting, and used gamma 8 (with a more fixed time) to catch up a bit?
Oh, I and I seem to have read somewhere that Nexus is using Hover level II/III propulsions (not available to human/skirmish),
which gives his units the same level of hits as standard tracked propulsion, but the higher speed of hovers.

Keith
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I would guess that you ran most of that concurrently with the next level's fighting, and used gamma 8 (with a more fixed time) to catch up a bit?
Err ... yes :) And, by the way, you don't actually need most of those techs before the last level, because they are pretty weak in their initial form. :hmm:
Oh, I and I seem to have read somewhere that Nexus is using Hover level II/III propulsions (not available to human/skirmish),
which gives his units the same level of hits as standard tracked propulsion, but the higher speed of hovers.
Wow, really? Why is it so weak then? ^^ :S
kringled
Trained
Trained

Post by kringled »

After not playing the game for over a year, I got back to it this fall and played the campaign through on hard, albeit not using the mod - I finished gamma 9 at 10:50:xx of total time, which is at least very close to where you were. I was surprised by how much energy became limiting when shortening game play from about 16 hours to this under 11 hour amount. I really had to plan all energy expenditures carefully, and I deferred a lot of research that I thought was less useful over the course of the campaign, catching up some in gamma 8 and more in gamma 9 given the large energy bonus you get there. Units got rebuilt as few times as possible, and I built very few non-essential structures. Trying to play it through that quickly definitely adds a significant level of challenge.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Thanks for the feedback (: Also, the video walkthrough featuring this mod has just been completed, and the total time turned out to be 1.5 hours better than announced.