Too hard!

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Djoe
Trained
Trained

Re: Too hard!

Post by Djoe »

If you are from Texas then you should be an American. Of course if Mexico has made a conquest I haven't heard of, then you would be correct in saying you're a Mexican.
5carhaloface
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 5carhaloface »

ok ok true that i misspoke and thank u yes i am american with mexican decent... but as for my patriotism i think my military history can speak for itself Ft. Benning, GA 3rd ID HOOAH!!!!

Translation: You are correct; however, keep in mind that I am not Mexican, but rather a patriotic American with Mexican descent.
Last edited by Zarel on 07 May 2010, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added translation
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

5carhaloface wrote:non native english speaker??? u tryin to say somethin cuz im mexican?? u really wanna go down that route???
:geek:
:?
:hmm:
:stare:
Are you biasing us as racists? If that's true, it is bias all the same, ok?
I mean, did anyone say that you are anything at all?
Also, re-reading:
Michal wrote:The above reply was marked 'awesome'. The author of this comment is a non-native english speaker and is really proud that he understood the post.
The above reply was(...) The author of this comment (not "that" comment) is(...)
As you see, it was misunderstanding. But please, I kindly ask, be careful about accusing someone of bias if you're not sure of it, because as I said, this is bias all the same. It is not our fault that there are so much bias out there, and most of it comes from older generations anyway - I, personally, think that bias is directly connected to lack of knowledge, intelligence, or both, because if someone has an internet connection and a computer he doesn't have a real excuse (other than true lack of intelligence) not to know that capacity, potential, IQ, and so on, isn't simply hereditary. I've made a full research about that yesterday, by the afternoon - it's sort of funny that I came across this same subject again in the following day.

Human mental qualities come from a lot of things, and most of it comes from mental stimulation, exercise, and meditation about experiences. Socio-cultural situation also plays a major role in the development of the mental qualities all the way around. The problem is, how to measure those mental qualities - that is, if it's right to even get to the stage of trying to measure mental capabilities to determine one's "worth".

And WTF, I'm brazilian, and the only member I've seen saying anything biased about me was TVR (who seems to be gladly gone). I think I'm taken seriously due to a general behavior and care about my posts - even if I sometimes write things that are a bit harsh and not yet re-formulated (too spontaneous sometimes), I do write carefully, thinking about people who are reading. I mean, if you are natively north american (everyone all the way from Quebéc to Patagonia is "american"), we can expect your english to be properly wrote, at the very least. If the guy's from Germany, France, China, India, Russia... from any other country that doesn't have english as the official language, there is a palpable excuse if he doesn't know how to formulate english phrases well. But the careful use of capitalization, the use of commas, moderated use of contractions, and this kind of thing, is something that is common to most languages, and I don't really understand why some people (not YOU, it's many people) insist on writing without using commas or capital letters at all.

I hope that this lands lighter than a lead ingot would, falling from the sky, though. If I don't speak seriously about those things, I sincerely think that no one will. If that's better or not, I don't know - yet, I do believe so.

~Olrox
5carhaloface
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 5carhaloface »

Okay, I must admit your right, 'm man enough to admit I was wrong. You also stated " why some people (not YOU, it's many people) insist on writing without using commas or capital letters at all." and to answer that I will respond with;

itz jus ezer 2 type i mean were nt typin resumes here lol so yea but if u wer askin lol but in no way do i mean to offend you, also i think because thier used to networking sites like myspace, facebook and twitter they just got used to that method of typing.

Thnx "Olrox"
Michal
Trained
Trained

Post by Michal »

Oh man it was a joke. kringled and Orlox are right.

It's just even native-speakers sometimes mark such 'text' as unreadable.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

5carhaloface wrote:itz jus ezer 2 type
It might be easier to type, but it makes it hard to understand, especially for those who don't speak English well. That way of typing basically says "I don't care about the people reading this", and I at least tend to ignore such posts.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

5carhaloface wrote:itz jus ezer 2 type
I'll just quote myself here:
Olrox, in [url=http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5224&start=0]another topic[/url], wrote:
Daltx wrote:...it is easier...
Of course - don't ever think otherwise.
It is easier to cease development of the whole game than continuing to make things for free, for a community that's sometimes with stones ready at hand for when you make mistakes. It is easier to end one's own life than facing terrible problems, when you'll need to make blind decisions that you can't know the outcome of. It's easier to let other people work while you slack off. It is easier to believe in myths rather than sticking to scientific methods to reach logical, consistent answers for our reality.

Question is, what's better? That should be the first question to ask, after "is it even possible?". If we want to choose the easiest ways, we won't have progress, evolution, and in most cases, what seems to be better because it's easier turns out to bring no prosperity.

The whole thing is actually a judgement about the cost/benefit ratio. Easier than that is to not even think about it, but, as I daresay, it's the worst path. I believe that there's a good reason to have an option for random starting positions, it adds a nice effect and avoids people from knowing exactly what they'll have to do when the game starts, ahead of time. I believe that it's definetely worthy of thinkking about - from this stage I fear I can't help anymore, since I don't know a sh*t about coding or the game's code structure.

I am so terribly philosophical those last days, I fear that I'm frighteningly close to another depression. Forgive me if I take things far too deeply, I can't avoid it when expressing my opinion - if I were to be more shallow, I'd rather refrain from any expression at all.

~Olrox
It is also "easier" to create bias to classify masses - what do you think? Is it okay? I can assure you that it's easier to make a visual diagnosis, in which skin color determines one's qualities, than evaluate it from the most angles possible. Is it better, though? That's a rethorical question, see - everybody with a brain knows the answer.

If you don't care about the quality of your posts, please let me know, that I'll stop defending my own point of view. I'm only disposed to do that with someone that is open to improvements, otherwise it's a waste of precious time (and I don't want gray hair in my head yet, I'm only 18).

~Olrox
Dylan Hsu
Banned
Banned

Post by Dylan Hsu »

tl;dr
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Dylan Hsu wrote:tl;dr
I'll laugh at that with the most yellow smile. I'll never say that you're useless - at the very least you can serve as a bad example to be followed.

~Olrox
wz fan
New user

Post by wz fan »

Double Wall
For a sturdy and effective defense follow these instructions:

1. Build a line of bunkers (not moaters).
2. Build a hardcrete wall just behind the bunkers (you could put in hard points they don't hurt!).
3. Put a line of guard towers behind the wall.
4. Build another hardcrete wall behind the towers.
5. Build mortar pits 2 spaces behind the wall.

Note: for a surprise put cyborgs in-between the 2 walls (but leave the towers) this works cause when the enemy breaks through the wall they come pouring out discouraging further attack.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

wz fan wrote:Double Wall
For a sturdy and effective defense follow these instructions:

1. Build a line of bunkers (not moaters).
2. Build a hardcrete wall just behind the bunkers (you could put in hard points they don't hurt!).
3. Put a line of guard towers behind the wall.
4. Build another hardcrete wall behind the towers.
5. Build mortar pits 2 spaces behind the wall.

Note: for a surprise put cyborgs in-between the 2 walls (but leave the towers) this works cause when the enemy breaks through the wall they come pouring out discouraging further attack.
From Cheatbook....
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

KukY wrote:From Cheatbook....
How it counts as cheating?
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
3drts
Trained
Trained

Post by 3drts »

Its cheating for the person who plays against you.
They cheat by giving poor advice, and watching the noob follow it.

That is a horrible, power consuming, defense.
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

For me this would be only one of possible strategies to use, it's up to player if he chooses it.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
NEXUS
Trained
Trained

Post by NEXUS »

One of the best ways for me to make a good defence, is to put mg/cannon bunkers first, then cannon/rocket harpoints behind those, and then rocket towers and mortars behind that. that should keep out most ground units for a while. :)