More medals for rank at the skirmish screen

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Olrox
Art contributor

Re: More medals for rank at the skirmish screen

Post by Olrox »

icefire wrote:Perhaps some more win ratio medals are needed, I and 3 other guys I know have already maxed one name and are working on a second/third....
:lol2:
Well, maybe we could have a special medal for players who won a match killing over 128 enemies and loosing 0 units?
Or something related to a low units lost/games played ratio.
But really, this medal ranking system is really weird because it works with a name, in one computer only, it isn't a profile you log in or something... I, myself, don't feel like my mp name means anything to me other than identifcation during each match alone (I can change that, and do so somewhat often, between Olrox, Fabian, Cza22 or something like that), especially because I usually play in one of 2 different computers.

I believe that, for a future version, we could have a proper login system so that users can have their very own IDs and have their all-time statistics linked to that. Users that don't want to bother creating an account could play under any name of their choice, but wouldn't have tracking of their stats. What do you think? Well, I don't even know if that's a viable option, but would be a nice thing.

~Olrox
icefire
Trained
Trained

Post by icefire »

Linking it to your forum name would be pretty neat indeed.
Mats
Trained
Trained

Post by Mats »

Kill ratio? Units killed - Units died.
Full of ideas - Most are probably useless. Feel free to ignore them :)
Alpha93
Trained
Trained

Post by Alpha93 »

Perhaps the game could register the best winning streak and the losses, like C&C Generals does.
Xfire-->chris37killer
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Alpha93 wrote:Perhaps the game could register the best winning streak and the losses, like C&C Generals does.
Winning streaks doesn't mean pretty much anything but luck if you're playing against fair opponents, and medals aren't for lucky situations, neither for unfair deeds.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Olrox wrote:I believe that, for a future version, we could have a proper login system so that users can have their very own IDs and have their all-time statistics linked to that. Users that don't want to bother creating an account could play under any name of their choice, but wouldn't have tracking of their stats. What do you think? Well, I don't even know if that's a viable option, but would be a nice thing.
The stats still wouldn't be secure. People could make multiple accounts and use them to lose on purpose to mess with stats. I'm not sure I like any system that fills the database with junk accounts.
Saberuneko
Regular
Regular

Post by Saberuneko »

Zarel wrote:
Olrox wrote:I believe that, for a future version, we could have a proper login system so that users can have their very own IDs and have their all-time statistics linked to that. Users that don't want to bother creating an account could play under any name of their choice, but wouldn't have tracking of their stats. What do you think? Well, I don't even know if that's a viable option, but would be a nice thing.
The stats still wouldn't be secure. People could make multiple accounts and use them to lose on purpose to mess with stats. I'm not sure I like any system that fills the database with junk accounts.
I agree with that...

Maybe some registration process which must include a valid mail adress, without allowing using the same mail account for different usernames? :idea: :idea:

But still... that method still has its flaws... (Like registering with 100 mailinator accounts... :augh: ) :hmm:
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Toribash avoids that by instantly kicking people who stand still for 30 seconds. This way the guy can't use 2 accounts simultaneously to farm wins.

We could have a dialog with a countdown if the player stands still for more than 1 minute (no mouse movement), in addition to a system that deletes accounts after 30 days if the player has a games played/games lost ratio superior to 0.85 or something - I don't think that this would prejudice the newbies, what the guy would loose with such a bad performance?

Is that too bad?

~Olrox
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Olrox wrote:Toribash avoids that by instantly kicking people who stand still for 30 seconds. This way the guy can't use 2 accounts simultaneously to farm wins.

We could have a dialog with a countdown if the player stands still for more than 1 minute (no mouse movement), in addition to a system that deletes accounts after 30 days if the player has a games played/games lost ratio superior to 0.85 or something - I don't think that this would prejudice the newbies, what the guy would loose with such a bad performance?
See, that's called DRM, and that doesn't work. You can easily control a computer once every minute, or macro the second computer, or get another human to play. It especially doesn't work since we're open-source. It's impossible to distinguish a player playing badly from a player intentionally losing.

We can fix this by having forced random matching, or tiers, etc, but that's far too many restrictions just to get accurate rankings.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

What about just letting the player with an account to have track of his data, but only disregard the data of the user with no account? This way the player wouldn't need to create an account to farm wins...

Since there's no bonus for winning medals, there isn't a problem with the guy that's doing this "mental masturbation" of farming wins to gain medals and say "hee hee, look at I, me got lotsa medals" :P
icefire
Trained
Trained

Post by icefire »

The more we discuss this the more we realize it's not a good idea...

I just want more medals :(
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

icefire wrote:I just want more medals :(
I'll make a double-star medal just for you, k? ;)
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Go for the olympics! You can try for bronze, silver and gold ones there, and you get a lot of people to see them :lol2:

Discussion IS necessary if we don't want to open doors for people like dragonflythecat to multiply tiny problems a thousand times and show the results in a quite dramatic way. Planning is fundamental, and so is sharing ideas before doing something wrong that could be avoided.

And forums are for discussions about shared ideas, also :P

~Olrox
Saberuneko
Regular
Regular

Post by Saberuneko »

Olrox wrote:Toribash avoids that by instantly kicking people who stand still for 30 seconds. This way the guy can't use 2 accounts simultaneously to farm wins.

I disagree with this too... Just because sometimes, when I play online, I just left the game running some minutes for taking out the rubbish, leaving my base well-defended. (Sometimes my parents just cannot wait 10 minutes for me taking out the rubbish or doing anything else...)

That system would kick me on that cases. And I don't like that idea.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Saberuneko wrote: I disagree with this too... Just because sometimes, when I play online, I just left the game running some minutes for taking out the rubbish, leaving my base well-defended. (Sometimes my parents just cannot wait 10 minutes for me taking out the rubbish or doing anything else...)

That system would kick me on that cases. And I don't like that idea.
Yeah, I thought that this would be a major issue. Toribash works like that because it requires every second of attention anyway, so you really can't leave the pc alone during a fight unless you're on the bout list.

I can't think about anything else to solve that problem of junk accounts right now, though :?

~Olrox