First map - Rocky Maze

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Alpha93
Trained
Trained

First map - Rocky Maze

Post by Alpha93 »

I gave a try to flaME, took me a bit of time to learn how to properly use it and a bit of thinking, then it took me 2~3 days of editing to get decent textures and think of oil distribution through the map.
So, I present you Rocky Maze
Features:
-4 VISIBLE base oil;
-4 not visible base oil;
-24 oil resources scattered around the 4 bases;
-24 oil resources concentrated in the center (yeah, fight for them);
-Several plateaus where to put defense, although some of them WILL require VTOL technology (cyborg transports, I tried to revive the role of combat engineers);
-Unbalanced TERRAIN ( every player won't be able to use the same defensive tactics as others could, as the plateaus aren't all the same dimensions);

Edit 24/03/2010

Current Known Issues:
-Interrupted cliffs (they will make your units go wannabe Spidermans);
-Water edges issues;

V 1.0.1 changelog

-Solved some water edge issues, yet some remain;
-Solved some interrupted cliffs;

Edit 25/03/2010

V 1.0.2 changelog

-Solved some issues with cliffs
-Solved some texture problems
-Changed some textures

Please download the new version

Test and give feedback, report faulty textures etc.
Attachments
4c-rocky_maze.wz
Rocky Maze V1.0.2
(51.61 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
Minimap<br />Red dots are features placed in the map
Minimap
Red dots are features placed in the map
RockyMazeMinimap.jpg (9.33 KiB) Viewed 3797 times
Last edited by Alpha93 on 25 Mar 2010, 16:49, edited 4 times in total.
Xfire-->chris37killer
Michal
Trained
Trained

Re: First map - Rocky Maze

Post by Michal »

Wow, its big! Maybe finally a map where you can't just rush to close some narrow passages.

I player a bit from base 0, and saw: water on the nearby hill is messed up - tiles in wrong direction (?) the usual water problem. Also places where the cliff texture meets the grass right at the base of the cliff don't look good - textures are 'cut'.

I wonder - isn't the top left player closer to center than the rest? Best strategy for him could be to rush quickly to center...
Alpha93
Trained
Trained

Post by Alpha93 »

Michal wrote:Wow, its big! Maybe finally a map where you can't just rush to close some narrow passages.

I player a bit from base 0, and saw: water on the nearby hill is messed up - tiles in wrong direction (?) the usual water problem. Also places where the cliff texture meets the grass right at the base of the cliff don't look good - textures are 'cut'.

I wonder - isn't the top left player closer to center than the rest? Best strategy for him could be to rush quickly to center...
Could you provide some screenies with possibly the minimap, as I fixed some of the above grass/cliff texture issues during editing?

Also, if the top left player will just rush to the center, it will take a lot of microing and he'll have to fight to keep his oil secured (and looking at the minimap you'll see that almost every path WILL take you to the center so, eventually, you'll have to fight during the whole game to protect your base AND your center oil).
Xfire-->chris37killer
icefire
Trained
Trained

Post by icefire »

I don't know Alpha, when we played I took middle and pretty much dominated it the whole game without any trouble :P

Cool map.
Alpha93
Trained
Trained

Post by Alpha93 »

icefire wrote:I don't know Alpha, when we played I took middle and pretty much dominated it the whole game without any trouble :P

Cool map.
You're a lot better than me when it comes to speed and microing ^^
Xfire-->chris37killer
Michal
Trained
Trained

Post by Michal »

Its just easy to get lost - but Fog of war turned off can help :D.

And defending your base requires closing about... 2-3 passages (?) That's quite easy to do, with that amount of oil.

-Interrupted cliffs (they will make your units go wannabe Spidermans); --> Oh, I've seen that too :D 3 clicks and trucks can climb a vertical wall. It's probably the FlaME's fault (?) or the high angle of the cliff.

I will provide screenshots once I have a little more time to play the map. Gotta do some work recently :(.

Aww - started a T3, made satellite and looked around - there might be one more issue, but my mouse slipped and now can't find it... ;) It was on a cliff,with some trees. Near the edge there was a 'pointy hill' and a tree.
zipped file attached - 11 screenshots
Attachments
screens.zip
(1.52 MiB) Downloaded 178 times
Alpha93
Trained
Trained

Post by Alpha93 »

Michal wrote:And defending your base requires closing about... 2-3 passages (?) That's quite easy to do, with that amount of oil.
That's exactly what artillery is for isn't it? :wink:
Xfire-->chris37killer
Michal
Trained
Trained

Post by Michal »

I haven't tried arty on this map yet - I wonder how it will be. Cliffs should block some/most ripples, so mortars will be more usefull (?). Also, what will be the range of arty built on cliffs? Long range base assault could be possible that way, but it still depends on some angles whether it will crash on cliffs or not.
Map probably favours Vtol, but that requires more testing ;)

Geez, its too big for me... :P