2c-Arena #22

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!

What do you think?

It's nice as it is!
69%
Good, but needs improvements (Please Post)
19%
It can be good with more work (Please Post)
13%
GTFO! It's horrible!
No votes

Total votes: 16

Olrox
Art contributor

Re: 2c-Arena #22

Post by Olrox »

Dunes also affect the speed of the units: If you are climbing a dune with a heavy tank, it'll be slower. If you are going from your base to the enemy's, that's interesting, because when you get to the top of a dune, you can fire, then your speed is increased until you reach the beginning of the next dune (by this time you are covered by the dune). Then, you can stop your tank to reload, or if the enemy can outrange you, you can also wait there until he has to come up and into range of your tanks. the only option for him to fire at you while out of your range would be to make a large turn around your position, getting to a higher dune or going along the bottom of the dune in a similar position to you.

I definetely won't add any cliffs to this map, its purpose is to be open & closed: Open for movement, closed for vision. Adding cliffs would destroy the main purpose of it.

But of course, when I've got more height tolerance, I'll be glad to make more intense dunes. If you want a harder gameplay you can always reduce the structures limit.

I'll most probably work on the huge crater idea, by the time I can do it, as well. More height graduations, as well as the improvement of textures and features, is what we need to be able to have really scenic maps: Currently the scenic thing can be achieved but it's painfully time-consuming, and it's clear that the results could be better with those improvements I've mentioned.

~Olrox
Michal
Trained
Trained

Post by Michal »

I was wondering if we can 'cheat our eyes' :)
Have you played BasingStoke ? 4 Player with geometrical mountain in the center. It doesn't look flat at all, actually, I thought the hill was much higher than it is.
So, the idea is: base of the map and dunes height 0, height of dunes gradually descending from 255 to 0. Our eyes could be fooled that whole map descends (maybe?)
Sorry I'm actually too lazy... busy :D to make a test map and try it out.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Michal wrote:I was wondering if we can 'cheat our eyes' :)
Have you played BasingStoke ? 4 Player with geometrical mountain in the center. It doesn't look flat at all, actually, I thought the hill was much higher than it is.
So, the idea is: base of the map and dunes height 0, height of dunes gradually descending from 255 to 0. Our eyes could be fooled that whole map descends (maybe?)
Sorry I'm actually too lazy... busy :D to make a test map and try it out.
What do you mean? make every dune go a bit lower than where it started?
Michal
Trained
Trained

Post by Michal »

Each dune starts at height 0, and only 'top' of the dunes goes lower and lower. Just like adding hills on flat map.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Michal wrote:Each dune starts at height 0, and only 'top' of the dunes goes lower and lower. Just like adding hills on flat map.
Well, why would water accumulate on the river area and not on the other 0-level parts?

~Olrox