Please test the 2.3 beta releases!

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
javierkaiser
Trained
Trained

Re: Please test the 2.3 beta releases!

Post by javierkaiser »

Well, playing a bit with vtols, I noticed that when assigned to the strike tower, if the vtol uses a weapon with more than 1 shot (i.e. cannons, machine guns, etc) and there is no more targets in range and it still have some ammo, does not return to base, instead it lands wherever it was and waits for next target.

Problem: the vtol loses it's advantage and it's quite vulnerable.

Idea: fly in circles for a while and/or return to base.
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

First of all, your post is in the wrong place. Secondly, it is simpler to set them to "Patrol". And cheaper.
"There is no greater Void than the one between your ears." - Void Ray, StarCraft 2.
Especially the Void between the ears of people who think that No VTOL is a good idea, and won't lead to arty wars. I've won one, and I have to say: I hated it.
Mats
Trained
Trained

Post by Mats »

A few things that are a bit strange in the research tree still.

-Twin assault gun hardpoint available before having assault gun hardpoint.
-Heavy repair turret available without having researched repair turret.
-Vindicator SAM site available without having researched SAM site.

Seems weird to get heavy repair turrets without even having researched repair turret. I guess the others are possible, but a bit strange. Definately didn't pick up any artifacts this time!
Full of ideas - Most are probably useless. Feel free to ignore them :)
Michal
Trained
Trained

Post by Michal »

Yes Its true. Tech tree is done that way so Heavy rep. turret comes straight from Advanced Engineering.
Twin Assault gun Hardpoint is quite logical: you resarch weapon, then its tower/hardpoint. You don't need lancer hardpoint for tank killer hardpoint.

Vindicator shouldn't be appear without Avenger though...
javierkaiser
Trained
Trained

Post by javierkaiser »

Assault Gunner wrote:First of all, your post is in the wrong place. Secondly, it is simpler to set them to "Patrol". And cheaper.
Actually, is not in the wrong place, that issue is in beta.
But if somebody says that it's happens too in 2.2.4, then it's not new and should be ignored.
theArmourer
Trained
Trained

Post by theArmourer »

No matter what is cheaper or better, it could be a problem. Ovbiously someone attaches their vtols to a strike tower, Whether it is a good idea is beside the point. Vtols should return to base after the last enemy is destroyed anyway.
~theArmourer
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Post by Corporal Punishment »

With beta 8 or 9, commanders were able to target VTOLs. In beta 10, this has been removed again. But particularly with HPV now able to target VTOLs, this behavior would come in extremely handy. Is it planned to bring it back in the future? Like, else it is a major disadvantage to use commanders, clearly not what is desired.
Qui desiderat pacem bellum praeparat
Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De re militari
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Corporal Punishment wrote:With beta 8 or 9, commanders were able to target VTOLs. In beta 10, this has been removed again. But particularly with HPV now able to target VTOLs, this behavior would come in extremely handy. Is it planned to bring it back in the future? Like, else it is a major disadvantage to use commanders, clearly not what is desired.
Commanders being able to target VTOLs has never been a good thing...

You know, units assigned to a commander don't have to shoot at what a commander is targeting... HPV can still hit air when assigned to a commander. But commanders have never been designed for commanding AA clusters, they're meant for commanding ground units. Imagine how frustrating it is when you have a bunch of lancers assigned to a commander, and the commander goes off and targets an air unit!
funky_abigail
New user

Post by funky_abigail »

Hi,

I just installed 2.3 11a beta, and now when I run wz it dumps me back to the windows desktop. The game is still running but alt-tabbing back into the game results in me being dumped back to the desktop once again. No mater how many times I try to go back into the game it just takes me back to the desktop.

I rolled back to 2.3 beta 10 and it started working properly, and then to test re-installed beta 11a and it works now.

Just thought I'd share this.

Abby.
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Post by Corporal Punishment »

Zarel wrote:
Corporal Punishment wrote:With beta 8 or 9, commanders were able to target VTOLs. In beta 10, this has been removed again. But particularly with HPV now able to target VTOLs, this behavior would come in extremely handy. Is it planned to bring it back in the future? Like, else it is a major disadvantage to use commanders, clearly not what is desired.
Commanders being able to target VTOLs has never been a good thing...

You know, units assigned to a commander don't have to shoot at what a commander is targeting... HPV can still hit air when assigned to a commander. But commanders have never been designed for commanding AA clusters, they're meant for commanding ground units. Imagine how frustrating it is when you have a bunch of lancers assigned to a commander, and the commander goes off and targets an air unit!
They may still be able to, but the f*****g don't! If a VTOL flies overhead, even AA assigned to commanders sit tight and wait to be butchered. Selecting a commander group and manually designating a VTOL as their target won't make them fight it, either. THAT is frustrating! Besides, lancer can't hit air anyway so they don't fire at it, right? I found the behavior of units assigned to commanders pretty neat in the previous betas. Never experienced trouble with non-AA-capable units trying to fight VTOLs.
Qui desiderat pacem bellum praeparat
Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De re militari
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Corporal Punishment wrote:They may still be able to, but the f*****g don't! If a VTOL flies overhead, even AA assigned to commanders sit tight and wait to be butchered. Selecting a commander group and manually designating a VTOL as their target won't make them fight it, either. THAT is frustrating! Besides, lancer can't hit air anyway so they don't fire at it, right? I found the behavior of units assigned to commanders pretty neat in the previous betas. Never experienced trouble with non-AA-capable units trying to fight VTOLs.
Hmm, well, then, the game code should be changed.
kringled
Trained
Trained

Post by kringled »

As far as units attached to commanders firing on VTOLs, my experience has been kind of mixed. At 2.2.4, AA units attached to a commander would not fire on VTOLs except (and this was odd) when the AA unit was retreating for repair. This marked the last time I attached AA units to a commander. In 2.2.4 and 2.3 b9/10 (I think), I think my Machine gun/Assault gun units under a commander would fire on attacking VTOLs. However, in 2.3 b10 my laser units would not. I'm not always positive how consistent they were about it. My goal was primarily force protection - put some AA units into a commanders mix to protect somewhat against incoming VTOLs without having to either manage a separate group of AA units or just build AA structures all over the place (which is what I typically did, because I would usually end up having trucks available on away missions before I had the time to bring in AA units.) It's at best kind of odd/inconsistent. I am fine with the commander not being able to target VTOLs directly, but when that interferes with attached units firing, it's definitely kind of wacky.

Keith
Zarax
Trained
Trained

Post by Zarax »

Just got a pretty weird behaviour in skirmish, 2.3.11a: Image

the commander is pointing a nearby target yet most of the squad sits there without shooting at it.
Rider
Trained
Trained

Post by Rider »

The new releases are really cool! Good job team!

I'm still noticing a *lot* of desyncs though. Units appearing in odd places, dying because they where shot on someone else's machine, but not yours (even if you're the host), units seemingly building structures from across the map because they're already present on the builders end etc.

Hope those get squashed before the next big release!
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Rider wrote:I'm still noticing a *lot* of desyncs though. Units [...] dying because they where shot on someone else's machine, but not yours (even if you're the host)
You call this a desync? I'd call this better sync... it's at least better than having the unit alive on one screen and dead on another...