Proposal of a new VTOL: Based on real-life counterparts

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Re: Proposal of a new VTOL: Based on real-life counterparts

Post by Rman Virgil »

Olrox wrote:
I think that VTOL propulsions should always look like they're capable of lifting the highest weapons. That's mainly why I like the adapted V-22 Osprey design - it works as cargo and troop transporter, and looks powerful.

~Olrox
I can appreciate that perspective. A good working solution towards creating something new & effective all the way around for fresh gaming pleasures. :)

Regards, RV :cool:
3drts
Trained
Trained

Post by 3drts »

Olrox wrote:
3drts wrote: I imagine it would take a lot of coding to prevent certain vtol designs from being able to takeoff or be undesignable/produceable until appropriate engine upgrades (if those UGs can get the thrust:weight to an acceptable level)
You kidding? It would be as simple as making certain engine upgrades Prereqs for certain VTOL weapons: Larger bodies have more space for turbines/fans, and their weapon deal the exact same ammount of damage as smaller versions (usually in bigger aircraft you get bigger payloads and thus, higher firepower), so that makes up for larger aircraft with the same engines.
No, its not that simple.
Note how a medium body carries bombs faster than a light.
As you noted, the weapons are the same power/weight.
However, if two chassis/airframes can both lift the same excess % of their weight, the larger one can lift more weight.
That would be like saying you need Turbocharged engine mk2 for Heap bombs on a Scorpion, but mk3 for Heap bombs on a panther/ mantis/ bug, and Gas turbine mk3 to mount them on a leopard/Tiger.....

Not every body has the same power:weight ratio, and not every body has its power:weight ratio skewed the same way by weapons of the same weight.

Saying that a design needs a value of X for (Engine output-Weight), or it cant takeoff/mount the weapon, is not as simple as having an engine upgrade requirement for the weapon.

Thus it is probably too hard to imlement.

My point is there are so many inaccuracies, criticizing a design for looking more like a STOVL than a VTOL, is kinda petty.

I do like the Osprey/tilt fan design as well.
But I also want to see propulsions that look like V/STOL fighter jets.
I would not be opposed to 2 forms of VTOL propulsions: a slower one that lifts weight better, and a faster one that is more affected by weapon weights.
I previously suggested a helicopter prop- but a tilt-rotor or tilt-ducted/turbofan/Osprey type design type propulsion could also fill this role.

I'd be happy if the Cyborg transports looked more like Ospreys, and the VTOLs looked more like F-35's or the design in the first post.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

3drts wrote: I'd be happy if the Cyborg transports looked more like Ospreys, and the VTOLs looked more like F-35's or the design in the first post.
Ok, but what about turrets? No VTOL is ever going to look like a F-35, first problem is the modular design, second problem is that most weapons are turrets. I can't recall have seeing an aircraft that looks like a fighter but uses turrets, only large bombers - which had turrets to shoot targets with higher mobility (fighters).

A F-35 design with a laser turret would look very funny, and cute perhaps, but not right.

~Olrox
Zarax
Trained
Trained

Post by Zarax »

The only solution would be redesigning vtol weapons as hardpoints I guess...
That would be quite the modeling job though...
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

Olrox wrote:
3drts wrote: I'd be happy if the Cyborg transports looked more like Ospreys, and the VTOLs looked more like F-35's or the design in the first post.
Ok, but what about turrets? No VTOL is ever going to look like a F-35, first problem is the modular design, second problem is that most weapons are turrets. I can't recall have seeing an aircraft that looks like a fighter but uses turrets, only large bombers - which had turrets to shoot targets with higher mobility (fighters).

A F-35 design with a laser turret would look very funny, and cute perhaps, but not right.

~Olrox

and your proof to substantiate your comments is where...??? :-S
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

lav_coyote25 wrote:
Olrox wrote: Ok, but what about turrets? No VTOL is ever going to look like a F-35, first problem is the modular design, second problem is that most weapons are turrets. I can't recall have seeing an aircraft that looks like a fighter but uses turrets, only large bombers - which had turrets to shoot targets with higher mobility (fighters).

~Olrox

and your proof to substantiate your comments is where...??? :-S
F-35.png
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Olrox wrote:F-35.png
You win an internet.
Black Project
Regular
Regular

Post by Black Project »

Olrox wrote:Image
I laugh to death everytime i saw this image... xD xD xD xD xD xD

Now gave the Heavy Laser longer range, high ROF, more damage and you have an awesome multirole stealth fighter xD They enemy will never know what hit them, or worst, burn them to their deaths :twisted:
Last edited by Black Project on 26 Feb 2010, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Olrox wrote:F-35.png
Zarel wrote:You win an internet.
ROTFLOL xD

Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Ok, I've finished my version with textures. I couldn't help but made a new model, got 276 faces, 118 polys. The custom texture uses half a 512x512 page, I think I can rescale the page to 256x256 without any grat losses of detail.
Here are some renders of it:
iso front/left
iso front/left
iso back/right
iso back/right
front
front
with body
with body
Should I change something?
What do you think?

~Olrox
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

yes it does look funny. but, shrink it down - it dont have to be that size you have it at. probably still look funny ... :)
wari
Trained
Trained

Post by wari »

What does it look like with team colours?
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

wari wrote:What does it look like with team colours?
I dunno - I didn't make those in the texture page, as I don't know if BP is going to use them in trunk. Trunk supports TC masks, so making each teamcolored part repeated in the page could be a waste of time.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Olrox wrote:Ok, I've finished my version with textures. I couldn't help but made a new model, got 276 faces, 118 polys. The custom texture uses half a 512x512 page, I think I can rescale the page to 256x256 without any grat losses of detail. ...
This model reminds me the air terminator from the Terminator 3 movie.
3drts
Trained
Trained

Post by 3drts »

http://web.archive.org/web/200406260503 ... 8/aw32.htm
The concept for F-35 is to have a turret, centered on the lift-fan cavity, which would extend when needed from the bottom of the aircraft. The system would be installed in the space just aft of the cockpit that was carved out to hold the vertical lift fan. With a single turret, the directed-energy weapon would be most effective against ground targets, low-flying airborne targets and for self-defense.
Turrets have been on fighters before, not WZ style (ie tank style) turrets, but they have been, and a laser turret may be a reality on the F-35, laser targetting pods are turrets of a sort already, just not a weapons turret.

Look at the old radars (before those cool phased array grid like radars), a radar dish on a turret, inside the nose cone.

And I meant the propulsion style anyway: ie a left fan, wings of a reasonable aspect ratio, but not very large, with some sweep (but not like a delta, as the current vtol "wings" are), and a read engine nozzle
Obviously to look really close to the F-35, you would need custom bodies as well as custom weapons (and I think the topic creator did a good job with the custom bombs).
Its definitely got some style/elements shared with the F-35, that doesn't mean I want it to look like your "picture"

As to the other Osprey like design, I also thought it reminiscent of the airborne "terminators" or "Hunter-Killers", they weren't just in T-3 btw, they were in a flashback in T-1 (maybe T-2 as well?) when Kyle Reese describes the future fight against the machines to Sarah Conner - although they were done without CGI (ie, miniature models, and wires one could not see). They were also seen (with a lot of other way-too-big-to-fly "terminator" flying machines) in Terminator: Salvation.

They are a cool design, and I could see using that propulsion (the parallels between Nexus&NASDA, and Skynet are good, nexus VTOLs looking like Terminator style machines would be cool I guess).

I'm still interested in two types of vtol propulsions, akin to wheels vs tracks for ground only propulsions.

and lastly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V/STOL
A rolling takeoff, sometimes with a ramp reduces the amount of thrust required to lift a fully laden aircraft from the ground, and increases the payload and range. For instance, the Harrier is incapable of taking off vertically with a full weapons and fuel load, and hence is operated as STOVL wherever possible.
The latest V/STOL aircraft is the F-35 Lightning II, which will enter service in 2016