Work In Progress: Warzone 2120 Resurrection Mod

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
wari
Trained
Trained

Re: Work In Progress: Warzone 2120 Resurrection Mod

Post by wari »

That's unbelievable, cant wait to play it!
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Looks great, just one thing; I think central pylon should be removed from Research Facility.
I really like your walls.
About tank traps; maybe making them something like this?
Black Project
Regular
Regular

Post by Black Project »

KukY wrote:Looks great, just one thing; I think central pylon should be removed from Research Facility.
I'll update the research facility again, since it's very ugly if put between the factories and the tracked tanks with it new guns.

I'm looking for someone that that can remake the original warzone texpages to look much better. I'll be thankful if someone helps.

Removed attachment, check out the last one, i've posted :)

If you have a some good GFX Mod that can fit well in my work (if i like it), i'll put them together.

One more question:

I'm looking for a challenging AI, which can be used for new challenging battles (Sorry, the V1.04 AI crashes the game after 20 minutes or less of gameplay :gonk:)

Aivolution (Not from NTW, that comes together with WZ installation)
Aivolution (from NTW Mod)
Dydo AI
Keep the original AI of the Warzone, but make some improvemets (use better units and defenses, etc)
Last edited by Black Project on 23 Feb 2010, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

You may want to look at some of the texpages in trunk since some of them have already been updated, page-17-droid-weapons.png for example.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
Black Project
Regular
Regular

Post by Black Project »

Well, there's my opinion about the AI's i've tested using Warzone 2120

NTW's Aivolution

Very agressive, but i fear that some people comes to me saying that mod it's too harder, especially in low oil maps:

This AI cheats a lot power and researching.

But i noted some downsides: They attack often, but in later T3, they'll start turtling and attacks comes less often than before, turning the game a bit boring.

In some maps, their trucks might get stuck in some places of map, especially in their bases.

They attack with VTOLs, but later they stop their air raids.

Warzone's Aivolution (it's not like NTW's one)

It's not harder like the previous one, but can suprise some unwarned player with their well cooperated ground attacks. In mid-T1, they start using AT weapons, but not so later, they will crush your tanks with Lancer. They use Flamer/Thermite Cyborgs often too to incinerate bunkers and draw fire against powerfull tanks, preventing their heavy tanks from being damaged. This AI can help you a BUNCH in Locked Teams or "Alliance" mode.

However, i just noted that this AI don't attack with VTOLs, so you have no worries about AA defense. This AI lags a bit, but not rarely, sometimes.

They turtle less, so be prepared for full-scale attacks, especially against derricks. They use Bunker Buster units to trash your defenses easily.

I'll change some researches and templated that they make/use to let them really challenging in later games.

Dydo AI: Sorry, but i didn't tested this AI, gonna wait for later and stable releases to see how this AI acts.

Original Warzone AI (v.1.10) but with improvements: It's better, but not harder than Aivolution. I saw this AI SOMETIMES easy to beat and hold off their attacks (Veteran players can feel this). Any experienced player can stop the air superioty of their VTOL Branch AI too! (This AI chooses 2 preferences, one is the default, the another one they invest in VTOL technology.)
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Actually, Dylan Dog's DyDo is your best bet for a lot of reasons - not the least, he's active and committed to it's on-going development (you can talk to him - maybe even help each other), it's already as "stable" as any A.I. out there and his latest release is up for integration as the default skirmish a.i. in the official game distro. Just some amiable feedback.

- RV :ninja:

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Delphinio
Art contributor

Post by Delphinio »

BP... thats not Aivolution... thats GK : )
Black Project
Regular
Regular

Post by Black Project »

Some notes about this mod:

Research will have a diferent behavior:

It was based on this thread viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4843#p48833
But i didn't make free, i just made them cheaper, but without reducing the research time (nerfed research center too)

- Researchs costs reduced by 3x, but research speed reduced by 3x too.

- Research Facility costs $200, it's module, $100 and you can only build 4 of them

- Start Money were changed too to prevent too much unit, structure spamming in the beggining

T1: $750
T2: $1000
T3: $1500

- The research center is now fitted with a Laser Gun to prevent truck rushing on early T1 games and construction time are little increased too.

- Nerfed a little the Power Generator, but not heavily, don't worry about it :D

I gived up of this feature (STRIKED TEXT), it's too hard to balance and make DyDo AI gets overreseached by Human players

One thing that cracked me off in the last week: mod balance :?

Most weapons were too overpowered, and i decided to apply the same balance role of the original rebalance in 2.3 Beta 11a in WZ2120 to solve this.

This solved a lot this problem. I made a very few changes, but without trashing balancing.

IMO, it's non-sense to make a great mod with a damned breaked balancing ;)

EDIT: Removed stuff in striked text

Regards BP
Last edited by Black Project on 02 Apr 2010, 02:15, edited 3 times in total.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Beta 11a is actually fairly poorly balanced - I was experimenting with cannons, and I had a feeling I went too far - I was just trying to see what it'd be like - so I recommend waiting for beta 12. :P
DylanDog
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by DylanDog »

Black Project wrote: Dydo AI: Sorry, but i didn't tested this AI, gonna wait for later and stable releases to see how this AI acts.
Just a note concerning the "stability" of DyDo AI. DyDo AI 2.0.x is quite stable, this means it does not crash. I see sometimes issues in loading saved games but I do not think this is an issue related to the AI script itself. On the changelog I use the work {fix} to indicate a change which fixes a mistake in the code which leads to a non wanted behaviour not to a game crash.

I will test DyDo with your mod in the next few days...if you give me a link to download it ;-)

The problem you can have with DyDo is the fact it does not run random researches (unless the planned research to be performed cannot be pursued) and uses some new template not included in the standard templates.txt file. Also the decision on which droid has to be built is related to the type of weapon, if your mod adds new weapons they will not be taken into consideration.

On the top of this, DyDo has 4 different personalities...

Maybe I could work out a DyDo version for your mod, or I can instruct you on which part of the AI script you have to modify to make DyDo compatible with your mod.
My Warzone 2100 mods:
Download DyDo-AI for Warzone skirmish/multiplayer games.
Download A2C-HM (Alpha 2 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Download A3C-HM (Alpha 3 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Black Project
Regular
Regular

Post by Black Project »

DylanDog wrote:I will test DyDo with your mod in the next few days...if you give me a link to download it ;-)
Sure, i'll PM you with the mod and AI together
DylanDog wrote:The problem you can have with DyDo is the fact it does not run random researches...
I know, i started to play thie mod with your AI a few weeks ago with DyDo v2.0.5 (gonna update to 2.0.8 sooner.)

In the beginning, after 3 minutes of gameplay, BOOM! CRASH!!! But after that crash, after analysing the playerX.vlo file, i just realized that DyDo tries to research topics that are no more researchable, because most researches i have removed in Warzone 2120, and some was included in the DyDo's .vlo script.

So i changed the unused researches to another ones that are researchable. Fixed!

About the DyDo's Strenght, i'll put all of them to 5, i'm sure that lot of people will feel a real challenging AI playing cleany, but if you don't agree with that (AI too powerful), i'll change back to zero (Random Strenght)...

...and I LOVED YOUR AI ANYWAY! It's a lot, lot, lot more intelligent than that default AI, which cheats power, and DyDo doesn't cheat (that's fairplay!)
DylanDog wrote:...and uses some new template not included in the standard templates.txt file...
I've added your new templates in the mod, i’ll change some T1 templates too.
DylanDog wrote:...Also the decision on which droid has to be built is related to the type of weapon, if your mod adds new weapons they will not be taken into consideration.
NO new weapons were added, 90% of them were replaced with new ones (and rebalanced, of course). It's a Total Conversion mod that sets you 20 years later after NEXUS downfall

Weapon classes replaced:

Machineguns => Laser Guns
Cannon => Rail Guns
Rockets => Missiles
Flamers are the same, but with new/replaced stuff
AA Guns are the same, but with new/replaced stuff
Mortars are Particle Mortars
Howitzers are the same, but a bit more nicer
Original Misssile Class are a single missile weapon research
Original Laser Class removed
Original Rail Gun Class is now Kinetic Energy Cannons
More AA variety, all of them will be get between mid-T1 to early-T3, no more to later-T3
DylanDog wrote:Maybe I could work out a DyDo version for your mod
i'm changing some templates and researches (Try to make DyDo research all types of research as possible, on each personality. But anyway, when i finish the edits, i'll send the mod to improve the AI.
DylanDog
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by DylanDog »

All this sounds really interesting!!!
My Warzone 2100 mods:
Download DyDo-AI for Warzone skirmish/multiplayer games.
Download A2C-HM (Alpha 2 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Download A3C-HM (Alpha 3 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Naming is a bit wonky, though. All cannons work off kinetic energy (well, except stuff like plasma cannons).
Black Project
Regular
Regular

Post by Black Project »

Zarel wrote:Naming is a bit wonky, though. All cannons work off kinetic energy (well, except stuff like plasma cannons).
Well, i think i'm gonna get rid of the Kinetic Cannons and replace by Plasma Cannon stuff, i don't know, the Plasma Cannon is already in the Laser Guns niche, but i liked the KE Cannons anyway.

Rail Guns fires projectiles that travels seven times the speed of sound (8575 km/h or 2380 m/s)
Normal KE projectiles like the General Dynamics KEW-A1 get at max speed of 1740 m/s (5 times the speed of sound)

Let me explain a bit about these classes, maybe you could help me to change something that make sense

Laser Guns (Machinegun has been retired from military service xD)
They're mostly AP weapons, but have it's All-Rounder niche:
Flashlight, Pulse Laser (T1) and Heavy Laser (T2) are AP weapons
Assault Laser (T1) and Plasma Cannon (T3) are AR weapons (All-Rounder)

Rail Guns:
There are 2 niches
Rail Gun (Tech 1-2) => All-Rounder KE Gun, lacks fragmentary ability
Particle Cannon (Tech 2-3 )=> All Rouder KE Fragmentary Gun. A little more powerful and got a little more ROF and range.
Just compare

Gauss Cannon:
Range: 1152; Damage: 390; ROF: 18; Weight: 5000; Price: $200

Heavy Particle Cannon:
Range: 1280; Damage: 438; ROF: 20; Weight: 6000; Price: $300 (Replace Gauss Cannon when research)

KE Cannons:
There's only one niche:
KE Gun => Anti-Tank KE Gun, effective against vehicles. A bad choice against Cyborgs and Structures. But are more cheaper than Particle Cannons. AT effectiveness is better than any Rail Gun. Slower ROF than Rail Gun

Particle Mortar: Low Velocity Gauss Mortar, they lack KE ability (Not effective on vehicles) and depends on high-fragmentary slugs (Which are effective against Structure and Mechanized Infantry)

I don't know if you gonna understand, but if possible, i'll PM you with the mod to check out. A bunch of stuff were changed, especially research (which i'll create a list of pre-requisites of all topics to people not get confused)

Regards BP
Black Project
Regular
Regular

Post by Black Project »

Stuff added, changed and restored to normal

AA Guns will be AA Laser guns! (Make sense with mod)
Laser guns got new muzzle models (A new good looking weapon)
Stormbringer (Original) will be a AA Rail Gun with a different name (same as the first)
DyDo AI updated to 2.0.8 (working very well and playing harder than 2.0.5)
Research will have a diferent behavior:

It was based on this thread viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4843#p48833
But i didn't make free, i just made them cheaper, but without reducing the research time (nerfed research center too)

- Researchs costs reduced by 3x, but research speed reduced by 3x too.

- Research Facility costs $200, it's module, $100 and you can only build 4 of them

- Start Money were changed too to prevent too much unit, structure spamming in the beggining

T1: $750
T2: $1000
T3: $1500

- The research center is now fitted with a Laser Gun to prevent truck rushing on early T1 games and construction time are little increased too.

- Nerfed a little the Power Generator, but not heavily, don't worry about it :D
The QUOTED stuff were restored to normal, since it was a easy way to make a research rush, allowing human players to quickly overwhelm DyDo AI with later advanced tecnology and causing to kick the balance's ass a lot.

Regards BP