Please test the 2.3 beta releases!

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Re: Please test the 2.3 beta releases!

Post by KukY »

eridor0 wrote:I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.
What do you think I am saying?
eridor0
Trained
Trained

Post by eridor0 »

You're saying that since the 3rd stage factory is nothing more than the same modular attachment as the 2nd stage, that you can build it after discovering the 2nd stage attachment?

Oh, out of curiosity, are the cutscenes from the original game included in this? If so, I'm not seeing them.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

when you fist install the game the option is there... if not you can go and d/l them from the same place you got the warzone installer from... :)
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

eridor0 wrote:You're saying that since the 3rd stage factory is nothing more than the same modular attachment as the 2nd stage, that you can build it after discovering the 2nd stage attachment?
The second module (the one numbered F3) can be built literally the instant the first module (the one numbered F2) is complete on any given factory.

Furthermore the definition of a module is an item which can be plugged in to all available slots. Which means that there are 2 slots for factory modules, in which you can place a pair of modules.
"There is no greater Void than the one between your ears." - Void Ray, StarCraft 2.
Especially the Void between the ears of people who think that No VTOL is a good idea, and won't lead to arty wars. I've won one, and I have to say: I hated it.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

eridor0 wrote:I was planning on waiting as well, since there's no point in making a 3rd stage factory if you have no heavy chassis. But why would that be intended?
Actually, each module makes the factory produce faster, in addition to allowing larger bodies.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Zarel wrote:
eridor0 wrote:I was planning on waiting as well, since there's no point in making a 3rd stage factory if you have no heavy chassis. But why would that be intended?
Actually, each module makes the factory produce faster, in addition to allowing larger bodies.
That is what I said.
Fastdeath
Trained
Trained

Post by Fastdeath »

Joe wrote:Well, I just compiled the beta and gave it a try, skirmish.

System: Ubuntu 9.10, 32 Bit, ATI 3200 mobility

* SOUND: After some time the Sound begins to scramble, this even stops sometimes and everything seems to be in order again, but after some time the noise starts again. Guess its pulseaudio related, since my pulseaudio hung up sometimes with wz 2.2 some time ago.

* UI: Sometimes some mouse clicks were lost, mostly when I tried to chose a tech for researching. I then had to click it another time.

* STABILITY: just one glitch: When I try to quit the software, the "pumpkin screen" apperas and there I am stuck. :( A "kill -9" via ssh crashes xorg, just some blinking colored pixel. I have to "reboot" then.

* Gameplay: I dont know if this is new to 2.3, but the scheduler for the VTOL pads is very inefficient. Damaged and unarmed VTOLs are landing nearby, though there are free pads around. Waiting VTOLs arent queued for later maintainance, they would wait forever for rearming.

* Trucks: The green "construction yard" as a placeholder for building orders is great, but missing some functionality: You cant order additional trucks to the green placeholder, like you can after the construction process has started (Bug or feature?). Another strange behavior is that you cant place a construction at the location your truck is standing on. It would be much better if the truck move away to clear his own construction yard.
SOUND, UI and STABILITY is sound related,
take a look on that: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4615
Nightly builds available here see buildbot for more infos about them
Lobby Server: here and here
SharpFlame the new WZ Map Editor
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Post by Corporal Punishment »

Some minor glitches that came to my attention:

- Twin machine gun is color coded blue like cannon type weapons, while all other machine guns are coded yellow.

- Artillery assigned to commanders does not respond to retreat-at-damage-settings in commander menu. Manually setting then to retreat-at-medium/heavy-damage works though, but the unit will become detached from the commander when going for repairs. Plus, artillery units are not counted when determining how many units are assigned to a commander. Wouldn't it be far more logical if artillery units behaved like any other type of unit when it comes to assigning them to commanders?

-Beta 10 crashes to Desktop without producing error report files when attempting to change the design of any repair-vehicle. Happens on a regular basis when pressing the button to bring up the weapon-turrets in turret-screen.

-After completing Alpha7 with two Veteran commanders, I realized at the beginning of Alpha8 that both have been degraded by one rank. Their experience did not change though (was just above 130) and they still had 16 units assigned to them. After shipping on to the away mission site, he would only accept 14 units. I'll check if there is a ticket for this one.
Qui desiderat pacem bellum praeparat
Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De re militari
crux
Trained
Trained

Post by crux »

on my laptop, I play the game in a window.
the change in behavior on the edge of the window, scrolling is very annoying now, you have to position the cursor just right before it scrolls and it is harder when you use a touchpad.
can we get a option to switch it back to the way it was before?
javierkaiser
Trained
Trained

Post by javierkaiser »

Well looks like I missed some versions of the beta.
The feature of showing the oil derricks in the minimap is gone? :(
One problem still present, is that if you minimize the game (win7) the mouse cursor is traped on the top-left corner of the desktop and can't be moved, inside the game works fine. One solution is to quit the game, but that reduces multitasking :3
Mats
Trained
Trained

Post by Mats »

Sometimes you can see the smoke rising from badly damaged tanks even though they are not in range of any of your sensors or units... Happened to me on skirmish vs AIs a few times.

Also, you can queue base structures to be built right next to each other and once the first structure is built, the one queued to be built next to it just won't be built.
Full of ideas - Most are probably useless. Feel free to ignore them :)
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

That's because base structures can never be built right next to each other (except for derricks).
"There is no greater Void than the one between your ears." - Void Ray, StarCraft 2.
Especially the Void between the ears of people who think that No VTOL is a good idea, and won't lead to arty wars. I've won one, and I have to say: I hated it.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Assault Gunner wrote:(except for derricks)
No.
Mats
Trained
Trained

Post by Mats »

Assault Gunner wrote:That's because base structures can never be built right next to each other
Which is why you shouldn't be able to queue them next to each other.
Full of ideas - Most are probably useless. Feel free to ignore them :)
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

KukY wrote:
Assault Gunner wrote:(except for derricks)
No.
really? Oh, right. oil spots are never right next to each other...

Anways, I wasn't arguing that queing 2 base structures next to each other should be possible, just saying why it wasn't building whichever one started second.