Port this game to iPad

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
tuant20
Trained
Trained

Port this game to iPad

Post by tuant20 »

Could you put some efforts to port this game to new Apple iPad running Mac OS (did not know the OS version exactly)?
KukY
Regular
Regular

Re: Port this game to iPad

Post by KukY »

tuant20 wrote:Could you put some efforts to port this game to new Apple iPad running Mac OS (did not know the OS version exactly)?
I think it uses enhanced iPhone OS.
But it is hard to port any game to any platform.
tuant20
Trained
Trained

Post by tuant20 »

The iPhone SDK is in Object C that is the similar programming language with this game. I'm thinking about how to utilize the multi-touch technology into this game and maybe the vibrate-able feature for explosions. :D
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

tuant20 wrote:The iPhone SDK is in Object C that is the similar programming language with this game. I'm thinking about how to utilize the multi-touch technology into this game and maybe the vibrate-able feature for explosions. :D
Please join Zarel...
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

I want to. However, it's not as easy as it sounds...
Dalton
Trained
Trained

Post by Dalton »

If you make it for the iphone/touch it will work with the ipad almost a sure thing but if you make for the ipad it only works for the ipad. So it would be better if you could make it possible on the iphone/touch, then it just enlarges to fit the screen on the ipad. I have neither so no big deal to me. :)
tuant20
Trained
Trained

Post by tuant20 »

Daltx wrote:If you make it for the iphone/touch it will work with the ipad almost a sure thing but if you make for the ipad it only works for the ipad. So it would be better if you could make it possible on the iphone/touch, then it just enlarges to fit the screen on the ipad. I have neither so no big deal to me. :)
You're right. Who wants to run this game on the iPhone's small screen? :)
Anyone knows which kind of Mac OS on the iPaq? version? we got Mac build of this game on Mac, right?
I think if we could start to port from WZ 1.10 branch then just forget about GFX hardware issues, forget GUI scaling, ... i see all are almost done except the part to put the game on the App Store.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

tuant20 wrote:Anyone knows which kind of Mac OS on the iPaq? version? we got Mac build of this game on Mac, right?
I think if we could start to port from WZ 1.10 branch then just forget about GFX hardware issues, forget GUI scaling, ... i see all are almost done except the part to put the game on the App Store.
...erm, the iPaq doesn't run Mac OS X. Do you mean the iPad? The iPad uses iPhoneOS. It's a derivative of Mac OS X, but it can't run Mac OS X applications. In addition, the 1.10 branch of Warzone does not run on any version of Mac OS X.

Getting an app from Mac OS X to iPhone OS is a significant amount of work, especially in terms of speed. The person who did it for the Battle for Wesnoth apparently took around half a year to do it, so it's a very significant amount of work.
tuant20
Trained
Trained

Post by tuant20 »

Zarel wrote:...erm, the iPaq doesn't run Mac OS X. Do you mean the iPad? The iPad uses iPhoneOS. It's a derivative of Mac OS X, but it can't run Mac OS X applications. In addition, the 1.10 branch of Warzone does not run on any version of Mac OS X.
The iPhoneOS looks like a sand box with program life cycle inside a Mac OS. Anyway, we have its SDK to do all the needed porting works. If we don't have WZ branch 1.10 running on Mac OS X, we could still start with the earliest branch that support Mac. I believe this sort of work is quite possible.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

tuant20 wrote:The iPhoneOS looks like a sand box with program life cycle inside a Mac OS.
It's not.
tuant20 wrote:Anyway, we have its SDK to do all the needed porting works. If we don't have WZ branch 1.10 running on Mac OS X, we could still start with the earliest branch that support Mac. I believe this sort of work is quite possible.
Possible, yes - anything is possible. But this is not easy. If you want to do it yourself, feel free to. I just don't want you to go into this thinking it's easier than it really is.
tuant20
Trained
Trained

Post by tuant20 »

Zarel wrote:Possible, yes - anything is possible. But this is not easy. If you want to do it yourself, feel free to. I just don't want you to go into this thinking it's easier than it really is.
Thanks. Just want WZ to be the most wanted & really cool free game on App Store. I'll give it a try sometime.
stwf
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by stwf »

Hi,
I'm a mac developer and I've been looking for an open source game to port to iPad. I want to complement the mac team for having a project that built straight out of the box (almost). I've never had that experience with a FOSS system before, good work.

Is anyone working actively on an iPad port? I don't want to interfere with an ongoing project, but if it isn't duplicating work I think I'd like to give it a try. Technically it shouldn't be too bad as it is, its just OpenGL which the iPad will support. We'll need to see on the performance but that will require an actual iPad.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

stwf wrote:Hi,
I'm a mac developer and I've been looking for an open source game to port to iPad. I want to complement the mac team for having a project that built straight out of the box (almost). I've never had that experience with a FOSS system before, good work.
"Almost"? What problems did you experience? It was probably due to our recent messing with some build systems in trunk - try 2.3 beta 10; it should build perfectly.

(The current Mac maintainers are me and dak180.)
stwf wrote:Is anyone working actively on an iPad port? I don't want to interfere with an ongoing project, but if it isn't duplicating work I think I'd like to give it a try. Technically it shouldn't be too bad as it is, its just OpenGL which the iPad will support. We'll need to see on the performance but that will require an actual iPad.
Well, dak180 and I were talking about it, but we haven't really started yet.

If you want, you can join us. Can you join the development IRC channel (#warzone2100-dev on Freenode) or add us on Google Talk?

Fortunately, SDL is somewhat ported to iPhoneOS, but we might have to recode our usage of some other libraries that might not be available. Warzone does use a 1990s-era widget engine...
stwf
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by stwf »

Zarel wrote: "Almost"? What problems did you experience? It was probably due to our recent messing with some build systems in trunk - try 2.3 beta 10; it should build perfectly.
Well, I never installed the 10.4 sdk, so I got a bunch of errors from that, also I had the change the quesoglc Fetch Source script line 1 to
SYS_SVN="/usr/bin/svn" which was the svn I was using. Other than that smooth sailing!
Zarel wrote: If you want, you can join us. Can you join the development IRC channel (#warzone2100-dev on Freenode) or add us on Google Talk?

Fortunately, SDL is somewhat ported to iPhoneOS, but we might have to recode our usage of some other libraries that might not be available. Warzone does use a 1990s-era widget engine...
Browsing around I understand you want to finish up the current version. Maybe it would be better to help with some bugs there? It'll take a while to get to know the code enough to do the port anyway, as well as by then I'll actually have an iPad!
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

stwf wrote:Browsing around I understand you want to finish up the current version. Maybe it would be better to help with some bugs there? It'll take a while to get to know the code enough to do the port anyway, as well as by then I'll actually have an iPad!
Good idea; I look forward to working with you. :)