Please test the 2.3 beta releases!

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Re: Please test the 2.3 beta releases!

Post by cybersphinx »

crux wrote:like that sound crash, it is 100% repeatable 100% of the time. how does that slip through?
You mean the crash on exit? That didn't happen on Linux, where most development happens.
crux
Trained
Trained

Post by crux »

cybersphinx wrote:
crux wrote:like that sound crash, it is 100% repeatable 100% of the time. how does that slip through?
You mean the crash on exit? That didn't happen on Linux, where most development happens.
It doesn't?
who tests the windows builds then?
is that the main problem, no pre release testing?
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

crux wrote:who tests the windows builds then?
is that the main problem, no pre release testing?
I do a short test in a virtual machine, but that's just "runs, makes a crashdump, ok", since the VM is sloooooow... I'm not aware of anyone actually testing 2.3 SVN on Windows.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

I tested it on Windows 7 x64 - a 5-player game on MizaMaze (4 humans vs 1 human + 3 AIs). It did not crash upon exit.

(The AIs won, too, after we defeated the human allied with them... they're getting pretty strong lately.)

However, it is true that we rarely test our betas before release. We don't have any testers. :( We would love it if you could test for us, though. :)
crux
Trained
Trained

Post by crux »

Zarel wrote:I tested it on Windows 7 x64 - a 5-player game on MizaMaze (4 humans vs 1 human + 3 AIs). It did not crash upon exit.

(The AIs won, too, after we defeated the human allied with them... they're getting pretty strong lately.)

However, it is true that we rarely test our betas before release. We don't have any testers. :( We would love it if you could test for us, though. :)
run the game and quit it
that is all that needs to be done.
what is the breakdown for the current developers?
how many have windows or macs or linux machines?

for testing I don't see where you guys communicate when everything is getting ready to push it out the door?
normally there is talk of a freeze then a tag then build but I just see release announcements?
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Ok, so we have no one testing on Windows with the exact same configuration as is in the installer. And since the exit crash seems to depend on the exact OpenAL version used, we didn't notice it even when quitting the game.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

crux wrote:run the game and quit it
that is all that needs to be done.
Nope, no crash.
crux wrote:what is the breakdown for the current developers?
how many have windows or macs or linux machines?
Breakdown for current developers is:

Per: Linux
Cybersphinx: Linux
Cyp: Linux
Safety0ff: Linux
Zarel: Mac OS X
dak180: Mac OS X
crux wrote:for testing I don't see where you guys communicate when everything is getting ready to push it out the door?
normally there is talk of a freeze then a tag then build but I just see release announcements?
Well, we currently already do that on IRC. Where do you suppose that should be done - the forums? The mailing list?
crux
Trained
Trained

Post by crux »

Zarel wrote: Breakdown for current developers is:

Per: Linux
Cybersphinx: Linux
Cyp: Linux
Safety0ff: Linux
Zarel: Mac OS X
dak180: Mac OS X
I thought you said you tested with windows 7?
l didn't think there were no windows developers O_o
crux wrote:for testing I don't see where you guys communicate when everything is getting ready to push it out the door?
Well, we currently already do that on IRC. Where do you suppose that should be done - the forums? The mailing list?
forums / e-mail is too slow for that stuff
yes it should be on IRC but since nobody knows what is going on in that channel without being there then we can't tell when a new release has entered the lockdown stage so we can test it.
fizyxnrd
New user

Post by fizyxnrd »

If it helps, 2.3b8 installed beautifully "out of the box" on Vista 32 for me. Zero issues.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

crux wrote:I thought you said you tested with windows 7?
l didn't think there were no windows developers O_o
Buginator and i-NoD are Windows developers, but they're inactive.

I just happened to test with Windows 7 that day, but I'm usually on Mac OS X.
crux wrote:forums / e-mail is too slow for that stuff
yes it should be on IRC but since nobody knows what is going on in that channel without being there then we can't tell when a new release has entered the lockdown stage so we can test it.
I suppose we could announce on #warzone2100 as well, but no one would test it, anyway. :/ Isn't that what betas are for? Testing?
crux
Trained
Trained

Post by crux »

Zarel wrote:
crux wrote:forums / e-mail is too slow for that stuff
I suppose we could announce on #warzone2100 as well, but no one would test it, anyway. :/ Isn't that what betas are for? Testing?
I mean most of these issues could have (should have) been spotted before a beta release.
http://developer.wz2100.net/roadmap says you have 43 hours left for 2.3 and unless there is someone riding in on a white bug slaying horse I don't see how that is possible.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

crux wrote:I mean most of these issues could have (should have) been spotted before a beta release.
How? I really don't know...
crux wrote:http://developer.wz2100.net/roadmap says you have 43 hours left for 2.3 and unless there is someone riding in on a white bug slaying horse I don't see how that is possible.
Heh, you're right. I've postponed it by a month.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

I have 2 operating systems Ubuntu and XP
all the beta versions none have crashed in xp
they have bugs but no crashing no sound issues
On the Ubuntu box no crashes unless you call a freese on exit a crash ....which is not a warzone probelem its ubuntu problem with pulseaudio ...if you remove that from the system warzone runs and closed without trouble...
If crashes are 100% of the time how come I've never seen it?
crux wrote:cybersphinx wrote:

Sorry but Im getting annoyed with the trivial nature of these topics and the clutching at straw to try and push an invalid point to extremes ...I feel some data put on the forum is a waste of space ...lets get back to constructive forum.
Fastdeath
Trained
Trained

Ubuntu 9.10 sound fix

Post by Fastdeath »

Nightly builds available here see buildbot for more infos about them
Lobby Server: here and here
SharpFlame the new WZ Map Editor
Korusray
Trained
Trained

Post by Korusray »

if yall need windows testers ill gladly help out...got WAY too much freetime on my hands lately xD
wut with work cutting hours and such ><

but ya i'd love to help out just gimme the req's and well ya