Suggestion: Solar or Nuclear energy

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Bulldozer
Greenhorn

Suggestion: Solar or Nuclear energy

Post by Bulldozer »

To maintain balance and preserve the initial importance of oil resources, this type of energy would not be available until T2 or even T3. It would create a new element of strategy by allowing players to locate energy sources at unknown locations (or locate them in better protected parts of their base).

To further preserve balance, the new item would create energy at the same rate as an oil resource, and the combined maximum number of oil derricks and solar energy stations would be the same as the current game limit for oil derricks.

Power generators would be renamed to power converters to avoid confusion over why a generator would be needed for a solar energy station.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Re: Suggestion: Solar or Nuclear energy

Post by KukY »

No.
It would just make the game too complicated.

But if I remember, NTW mod has a kind of nuclear energy...
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

If this suggestion is to be added then it should produce -less- resources than an oil derrick for balance reasons.

Even then, I'm skeptical, Warzone has always been without backup buildable resource generators of any source.

Even in Supcom Mass Fabricators are expensive and usually not worth it unless you're in an emergency and can manage the task.
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

I remember that there's a nuclear station 'feature' in Warzone...

If you don't keep it repaired, it explodes. :D
Bring back...ducks!
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

BlueMaxima wrote:I remember that there's a nuclear station 'feature' in Warzone...

I thought that was only in NTW. If you build a cooling tower next to it, it takes less damage every second or so and if you have two next to it then it doesn't take any damage.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

Mysteryem wrote:
BlueMaxima wrote:I remember that there's a nuclear station 'feature' in Warzone...

I thought that was only in NTW. If you build a cooling tower next to it, it takes less damage every second or so and if you have two next to it then it doesn't take any damage.
Maybe, I'm not too sure. Dunno if it actually does anything either.
Bring back...ducks!
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

It was in Ai-Boost, and it seems it made it into NTW. I'm pretty sure it wasn't in 1.11, although it may have been in 1.12. Regardless, it was never in any official version of Warzone.
Dylan Hsu
Banned
Banned

Post by Dylan Hsu »

I actually support this idea.
The generators would produce the power of 1 oil derrick for, say, $1000. It adds another dimension to the endgame.

Tech requirements?
High levels of research, power, and engine upgrades, probably...
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Meh, no. Defeats the purpose of resource war, encourages turtling, etc.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I agree with Dylan Hsu on this one. A lot of RTS games have this kind of expensive investment resource generators for the late game, and I think it is a nice game mechanic. Just make sure it has plenty enough of disadvantages to offset their obvious attraction. For nuclear power plants - give them very little hitpoints, a long build time, and a huge explosion if destroyed, and that should make them a dangerous but possibly profitable option.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Per wrote:For nuclear power plants - give them very little hitpoints, a long build time, and a huge explosion if destroyed, and that should make them a dangerous but possibly profitable option.
Man, that would make me build them as weapons...

I guess they make sense for T3, but still...
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

Actually, nuclear powerplants would be something players would build off in a secondary base with only a nuke reactor and some defenses. Maybe they should have equal power generation to 2 derrick powerplants.
"There is no greater Void than the one between your ears." - Void Ray, StarCraft 2.
Especially the Void between the ears of people who think that No VTOL is a good idea, and won't lead to arty wars. I've won one, and I have to say: I hated it.