3.jpg
(2.1 KiB) Downloaded 670 times
Concept
Square
Trained
Trained

Re: Gfx help needed

Post by Square »

hm however, this doesn't say "Host" to me. Why don't we use a button with "Host" or "Go" on it?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Berg wrote:
2.jpg
I like the icon idea. Much better than the two others. The colours... not so much.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Square wrote:hm however, this doesn't say "Host" to me. Why don't we use a button with "Host" or "Go" on it?
Did you read even the last pages of the topic?
That becomes a problem due to the variety of languages. In pronunciation or writing "Host" doesn't have any meaning in portuguese, greek, italian, chinese, japanese, spanish, polish, russian or german, for example. The closest would be "hôte", in french, or "hospes", in latin. Therefore, it's not a somewhat international word like "internet", so it'll be a nuisance to make the icon a word, because then, people that don't speak english won't even have the icon to give a hint.

And also, conclusions were already made about that: We'd be better off creating text labels, so that as well as the illustrated information, the written information bear a meaning.
Square
Trained
Trained

Post by Square »

Nope sorry, I didn't read the last page, pardon my repetition.

But, I don't think there are many images that can express 'host'. And I think that a word like 'start' is more comprehensible than an image. Because start exists in many many languages. And I think even people who only speak russian may know the word.

But if there is an image everyone understands, I would take that one.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Maybe something like this?
Look at first 5 pictures.
Like on races.
I know that races have nothing to do with WZ, but it makes sense to me...
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

@13KukYNexus666: Are you suggesting the start flag for hosting or for the ready button? For the ready button, anything that indicates immediate start has been denied because the ready check doesn't start the game immediately: That's the same problem of my "play button" proposition. For hosting it wouldn't make any sense, so I really think you're talking about ready check...

@Square: Yes, there may be not a picture that represents "host" exactly. But the hand, with a broadcasting computer means intuitively that you have a PC and your PC is broadcasting the info.

That means "send info from your pc", which conveys the idea of hosting a game.

However we won't have the best results by only using pictures or a single word. The "Start Menu" from windos is "Menu Iniciar", in portuguese, and using it for the ready check represents the same problem as the start flag.

Trust me, we are better off with text labels which change according to the language pack. Finding a picture that conveys the basic idea and combining it with a text label, there wouldn't be many things to confuse people, other than Icon size and positioning, which are already good in my opinion.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

I have been playing with 2.jpg but I am not a very good artist or more to the point I cant get gimp to make the icon small enough with the similar colours that are already used and still look good, maybe someone can redo the jpg to a better standard then I can, that is if 2.jpg is acceptable.
2.1.gif
(2.66 KiB) Downloaded 601 times
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

That's the right idea, Berg, but the dimensions and colors don't match standard Warzone icons.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Yes I agree.
Just wondering if another will redo it as its only concept picture
I am having trouble getting gimp to make it look good at the smaller size
poVoq
Rookie
Rookie

Post by poVoq »

How about this.... not 100% happy about the png I rendered from the svg... but it looks like you want to have a svg interface soon anyways. Tell me if there are any changes needed!

License is public domain or CC0 or "GPL2 or later" if you want it the same as the rest of the Warzone-data (I don't care really... make it what fits warzone the best)
Attachments
test.png
(1.69 KiB) Downloaded 539 times
host.svg.zip
(2.33 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
poVoq
Rookie
Rookie

Post by poVoq »

no opinion about this icon? is it ok to use in Wz2100?
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

It looks a lot better then my attempts.
The image is supposed to fit in this collection of images.
On my machine the folder is (my home folder)/warzone/data/base/images
frontend2.png
(10.15 KiB) Downloaded 503 times
You will find that the two are the same one is darker to show it is mouse over.
Colours should match the ones already used.
As far as being used in wz2100 thats up to staff.
This is just suggestions
poVoq
Rookie
Rookie

Post by poVoq »

Yeah I have seen those... and I tried to make it as close as possible to the style of those .svg that someone already created on top of these (if you download the source files those are included).

I just noticed now however that that one icon might have different dimensions than the others, or am I wrong about that?