Advanced missile & laser tech; A solution to OP artillery

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
silberfuchs
Greenhorn

Advanced missile & laser tech; A solution to OP artillery

Post by silberfuchs »

Long range artillery can easily become quite a pain. Essentially, some matches have everyone building up huge amounts of ripple rockets/archangel missiles. CB turrets can come in handy, but when you've got more than even 10 ripple rocket/archangel emplacements, it gets kind of pointless. An actual defense is needed. For that, I propose an advanced laser technology that could be researched after the Stormbringer (or maybe just a Stormbringer upgrade) that allows you to shoot down long range missiles. That means it could shoot down ripple rockets or archangel missiles before they decimate your base (this would not function against howitzers and mortars). As this is a technology we really have today, it makes sense that WZ2100 would allow for this. I think allowing this kind of weapon to be mobile could be overpowered (with enough of them, it could completely protect your units as you move into the enemy base), so should only function as a structure.

In addition to that, I propose heavy missiles. There probably should be a hard limit to how many silos could be built that is reasonable; 5 maybe? They would have a reasonably long reload speed (roughly 1 minute). They would move about half the speed as ripple rockets, be controlled similar to how the laser satellite command centers are, and can only be used when the user has a satellite uplink center. They should have a wide area of effect and do heavy damage to emplacements and maybe cyborgs while relatively little damage to other structures or tanks. The whole point is to break up the constant artillery barrages. Maybe, if a silo was destroyed, it would blow up and do damage to the player's nearby structures/emplacements as well. This allows for more strategical play for both sides: the player is able to break through heavily defended enemies, attack sat. uplink center to prevent incoming heavy missiles, or destroy silos for heavy damage to the enemies' structures.

And, finally, a radar jammer. It would simply prevent enemy sensors from locking onto (or maybe just cause the accuracy to become erratic) your nearby (probably a really short effective range) units or structures. This is probably the simplest to actually implement, but is quite lame and restrictive.

Of course, artillery could just be reduced in effectiveness, but that takes the fun out of it. Heavy use of long range artillery is a legitimate strategy, but it needs some sort of way to counter it. What are your thoughts? Do you have any other ideas?
Zero-Omega
Trained
Trained

Re: Advanced missile & laser tech; A solution to OP artillery

Post by Zero-Omega »

I hate artillery freaks pounding your base with constant artillery fire, so i like this idea. :)

I've often thought my self that their needs to be something like this :) :ninja:
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

silberfuchs wrote:An actual defense is needed. For that, I propose an advanced laser technology that could be researched after the Stormbringer (or maybe just a Stormbringer upgrade) that allows you to shoot down long range missiles.
That has been suggested many times before.
I like that idea. It would be better if it would be just stormbringer uprgade, not special weapon, like you said.
silberfuchs wrote:They would move about half the speed as ripple rockets, be controlled similar to how the laser satellite command centers are, and can only be used when the user has a satellite uplink center.
Makes no sense.
silberfuchs wrote:And, finally, a radar jammer.
It is planned to be done.
silberfuchs wrote:Of course, artillery could just be reduced in effectiveness, but that takes the fun out of it.
No. If artillery would be weaker, there would still be someone that finds artillery too strong even after that change.
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

its all down to playing preferences, this game has so many ways you can play that when you don't use something then it shouldn't be there, but some others can't live without it. And if you don't know how to defend yourself against something you end up stating that is overpowered.

Radar jammer is the way to go here, even the stormbringer sounds interesting, but then it will come to a who has more to hit with, me with more arty or you with more AA.... and then massive fields of arti and AA are born.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

winsrp wrote:and then massive fields of arti and AA are born.
And they look impressive.
Once in map Squared I filled whole base with Archangels.
Of course, I had to cheat (research all, making main base, demolishing unneeded oil resources, making massive amounts of oil resources in my main base...) and use LOT of VTOL Trucks.
It looked soooooo cool.
Single enemy unit approached and all of those Archies fired almost in same time,
that made a long trail of projectiles, and they were still going to that place for a long time.....
You need to expirience it.
I think I have shots of that somewhere...
javierkaiser
Trained
Trained

Post by javierkaiser »

13KukYNexus666 wrote:
winsrp wrote:and then massive fields of arti and AA are born.
...Single enemy unit approached and all of those Archies fired almost in same time...
Well, that's the biggest weakness of long range arty. With some skill, you can use that to your advantage, and destroy the artys xD

The radar jammer is the best way to counter it, will have to wait for the ECM tech.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

javierkaiser wrote:Well, that's the biggest weakness of long range arty.
But it looks cool.
javierkaiser
Trained
Trained

Post by javierkaiser »

13KukYNexus666 wrote:
javierkaiser wrote:Well, that's the biggest weakness of long range arty.
But it looks cool.
Of course it does! It's a glorious moment, seing all those missiles flying XD