Gfx help needed

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Re: Gfx help needed

Post by EvilGuru »

I agree with elio on this. I think symbols with a meaning attached to them are better than English words.

Regards, Freddie.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

elio wrote: ok, i dont want to act up^^

we could also use smileys instead of traffic light for ping? (or coloured smileys..) (small), or even display the ping in ms, (maybe in some way coloured)
and then we use traffic lights for ready/go (big)

another argument, since we are internationalize the whole game we should lean towards self-explaining, intuitive icons.
all the other icons are symbols (we don't use the big OK anymore i think)
Oh, your not acting up, but I rather thought that "GO" was universal in meaning.

We could have a thumbs up/down gfx, but that don't really convey "ready"/"go" though.
The only other thing I can think of is start with a red circle with a slash in it, and least that means something to everyone?

Maybe we should just switch to make the resolution 800x600, and thus having room to implement something better, or at the very least, have a column heading of "Ready ?" or something?

It just isn't intuitive now, not that that is the fault of your work though.
Last edited by Buginator on 14 May 2008, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
and it ends here.
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

EvilGuru wrote: I agree with elio on this. I think symbols with a meaning attached to them are better than English words.

Regards, Freddie.
Heaven forbid anyone have to learn the english word "Go".
The best thing to do when your philosophies don't stand up to debate is to lock the thread and claim victory.
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

i've got also the idea of a running person

here's one i've got through google
http://deutsch.istockphoto.com/file_clo ... um=1632581

do you know any multiplayer game which has better ideas?
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

elio wrote: i've got also the idea of a running person

here's one i've got through google
http://deutsch.istockphoto.com/file_clo ... um=1632581

do you know any multiplayer game which has better ideas?
All the RTS type games I have played use either the text words go, ready, 'start now' or launch.  None of them have a icon that I recall offhand.

Maybe that is a big hint that it should be a text label instead of a gfx icon?  Then when the po files get updated, they can use the correct translation of 'go' (or whatever).
and it ends here.
Verminus
Trained
Trained

Post by Verminus »

Buginator wrote: All the RTS type games I have played use either the text words go, ready, 'start now' or launch.  None of them have a icon that I recall offhand.

Maybe that is a big hint that it should be a text label instead of a gfx icon?  Then when the po files get updated, they can use the correct translation of 'go' (or whatever).
Now that's smart thinking right there!

You may have to make sure that it wont cause any problems if the text if much larger than the 2 characters "go" has, not all languages have words that are as small as "go".
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

Verminus wrote: Now that's smart thinking right there!

You may have to make sure that it wont cause any problems if the text if much larger than the 2 characters "go" has, not all languages have words that are as small as "go".
you're right, but i'll bet most cultures will have either an abbreviation, word, or symbol that will present the concept.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Hey, what about a "Play" button? I think that's pretty much international and has the exact meaning we are in pursuit of. The already clicked version would just be the icon with filled background.
Or have a play / pause button, which highlights pause, when not ready, and play, when ready.
Here are some examples:
Attachments
Ready buttons styles
Ready buttons styles
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

"Play" and "Ready" don't have entirely the same meanings.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Zarel wrote:"Play" and "Ready" don't have entirely the same meanings.
Ah, but there isn't any international sign for "ready", but "play" does have its own meaning: People push the play button when they want things to start, be it music or movie, why not even war? ;)
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Yes, but "Play" generally means "This will start now", not "This will check a checkbox, and if everyone else checks a checkbox, too, we'll start."
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Zarel wrote:Yes, but "Play" generally means "This will start now", not "This will check a checkbox, and if everyone else checks a checkbox, too, we'll start."
Why not a "Launch Transport" button? :D
Last edited by Olrox on 06 Dec 2009, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

What about a traffic light? Red for when someone's not ready and then green when they are.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Buginator wrote:
elio wrote: i have a tendency for traffic lights nevertheless. it's message is hardly misunderstanding (english?)

what do you think?
For the traffic lights, we already use traffic lights in front of the player name, that shows the players ping time.  Having two sets of 'traffic lights' would be too confusing.
Cutting other pieces of the post, but that's the motive why they're not traffic lights.
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

Olrox wrote:
Buginator wrote:{quote="elio"}
i have a tendency for traffic lights nevertheless. it's message is hardly misunderstanding (english?)

what do you think?
For the traffic lights, we already use traffic lights in front of the player name, that shows the players ping time.  Having two sets of 'traffic lights' would be too confusing.{/quote}

Cutting other pieces of the post, but that's the motive why they're not traffic lights.
Ok, I've never really understood the ping time traffic light, I didn't even know for sure that that is what it was. It was just a little light next to the players name to me.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."