CONECTION ERROR

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
emuletas
New user

CONECTION ERROR

Post by emuletas »

Ive a problem, when i open warzone, in multiplayer-join game-lobby it show: conection error

MI firewall is down. This didnt happen before the movement of the server. I dont know what hapen. Pls help me!
emuletas
New user

Re: CONECTION ERROR

Post by emuletas »

when i try to run the game in a terminal for see the error:

cesar@grillo-desktop:~$ warzone2100
error |03:21:01: [NETfindGame] Cannot connect to "lobby.wz2100.net:9990": Couldn't connect to remote host
cesar@grillo-desktop:~$

Im using ubuntu 9.04
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

you need to have a static IP and open ports 2100, 9990.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

winsrp wrote:you need to have a static IP and open ports 2100, 9990.
Why is that? Dynamic IPs also work, as long as they don't change in the time you connect to the other person ;)

Lobby should be working again.
and it ends here.
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

Buginator wrote:
winsrp wrote:you need to have a static IP and open ports 2100, 9990.
Why is that? Dynamic IPs also work, as long as they don't change in the time you connect to the other person ;)

Lobby should be working again.
agreed. if there really is an issue with static Vs dynamic. you should goto portforwarding.com to learn about your router, and if that doesnt help then post your router here, but obviously, dont be handing out ip numbers and such, no one needs that info to help.

static ip dictates that all machines on the network have a fixed ip address forever where as dynamic assignes on a first come first serve basis, but some routers can reserve them.

an example of good practice is boot order of machines...if for example your router is 192.168.1.1 and you port forward to 192.168.1.2, then the machine that you want to play warzone on needs to be the first one booted up so it gets the 192.168.1.2 address. just an example of working with and understanding basic dynamic setup.

good luck!
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Just a FYI, but if you are playing on a LAN, then you can't use the lobby to connect to the other person on the LAN.
You must connect via IP, or, the host would need to set up their own lobby server, and then all clients must update their config file to point to the host, THEN, you can connect via the lobby server that is run by the host.
and it ends here.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Are you sure? From what I know of networking, I think you'd still be able to...
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Zarel wrote:Are you sure? From what I know of networking, I think you'd still be able to...
Nope, you can't.
It tries to connect to the external IP--though, I guess you could do some router tricks if you really wanted to.
and it ends here.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

I have 2 other pc's connect to my router-switch box with internal ip's, plus have one external player
They can all connect to my game if they use join/ip
This works without any issues.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Buginator wrote:Nope, you can't.
It tries to connect to the external IP--though, I guess you could do some router tricks if you really wanted to.
So why doesn't connecting to the external IP work? The router forwards the packets to the server, just like it does for someone connecting from outside the LAN...
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

if my understanding of it is correct, if you try to find a game via the machines internal IP then the game wont exisit because it wont publish internal over lobby, and if you try to connect via the external ip then thats a conflict as the router doesnt know which machine its meant to forward to, which isnt the same as forwarding ports e.t.c

some games do have the needed code to resolve this issue, now if only i can remember which ones they were oO
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

GiGaBaNE wrote:if my understanding of it is correct, if you try to find a game via the machines internal IP then the game wont exisit because it wont publish internal over lobby, and if you try to connect via the external ip then thats a conflict as the router doesnt know which machine its meant to forward to, which isnt the same as forwarding ports e.t.c
Erm, you have to set up the router to port forward to the host, to host on the lobby in the first place. So if you connect via the external IP, why does the router suddenly forget how to forward ports? That makes no sense, and I'm pretty sure it's wrong.
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

lol i never said it forgets how to forward ports, i said it isnt the same as port forwarding.

the switch portion of the router works fine with internal ip addresses, the router part works fine when using hosting a game on the internet via lobby.

the problem is it gets confused as to which machine is doing what, 2 machines behind a router with no special code to explain itself, its no different than trying to to join the game your hosting, and thats like trying to pick yourself up by your bootlaces.

for an ammusing comparison, host a game, then run wz again (2nd instance on same machine), then join your own game via lobby oO

it doesnt know what to do.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

GiGaBaNE wrote:lol i never said it forgets how to forward ports, i said it isnt the same as port forwarding.

the switch portion of the router works fine with internal ip addresses, the router part works fine when using hosting a game on the internet via lobby.

the problem is it gets confused as to which machine is doing what, 2 machines behind a router with no special code to explain itself,
What do you mean? What's the problem? Do you understand what is going on here?

Say you have two computers, alpha on 192.168.0.101, and beta on 192.168.0.102, connected to a router with public IP 312.56.72.73 (using an intentionally nonexistent IP), set up for Warzone by forwarding port 2100 to alpha.

Instead of using IPs all the time, we'll just refer to these guys as alpha=192.168.0.101, beta=192.168.0.102, router=312.56.72.73, and lobby.wz2100.net=lobby

alpha hosts a game, contacts lobby:9990 with reply address alpha:temp1. Router stores temp1 and forwards it with reply address router:TEMP1. Lobby stores the address of the hosted game (router:2100), replies "success!" to router:TEMP1, which router looks at its temp port table and forwards it to alpha:TEMP1. alpha is now hosting at router:2100.

beta wants to join a game, contacts lobby:9990 with reply router:TEMP2. Lobby replies there, router forwards back to beta:TEMP2, beta gets a list, including the game alpha hosted, at router:2100.

beta tries to join alpha's game, by contacting router:2100 with reply address beta:TEMP3. The message goes through the router, which replaces beta:temp3 with router:TEMP3. When the message gets to router again, it looks at its port forwarding table, and forwards the packet to alpha:2100. Alpha replies to router:TEMP3. Router looks at its table, and forwards to beta:TEMP3.

etc etc. Some of those steps are generally optimized to be faster than that, but that's basically what happens.
GiGaBaNE wrote:its no different than trying to to join the game your hosting, and thats like trying to pick yourself up by your bootlaces.

for an ammusing comparison, host a game, then run wz again (2nd instance on same machine), then join your own game via lobby oO

it doesnt know what to do.
No, it's not like that at all. That's different because your computer isn't designed to handle that. The router is designed to rout packets. That's why it's called a router.
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

Zarel wrote:No, it's not like that at all. That's different because your computer isn't designed to handle that.
seems to work perfectly fine for games that are coded compatibily ie diablo2