Direct control.

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Anounax
New user

Direct control.

Post by Anounax »

If i remember correctly, there was something like this in playstation version - you could control one of your units diirectly with joystick.
It was pretty fun, so when I downloaded this game I expected to play with it, but didn't found it. You still can change the camera to follow a unit, but only way to control one is via the mouse clicks.
I'd like to see an ability to control units with keyboard and mouse, like in "Machines" by Acclaim.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Re: Direct control.

Post by KukY »

If you are in debug mode,
you can press Space to enter tracking mode,
and Shift+D to enter driving mode. :)
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

and one of these days I will finish it... unless someone wants to do it for me?!
and it ends here.
Anounax
New user

Post by Anounax »

13KukYNexus666 wrote:If you are in debug mode,
you can press Space to enter tracking mode,
and Shift+D to enter driving mode. :)
Thanks, I'll look at it when i'll have time.
Buginator wrote:and one of these days I will finish it... unless someone wants to do it for me?!
Good luck for you :)
Sorry, I'm not a developer, so no help from me.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Buginator wrote:and one of these days I will finish it... unless someone wants to do it for me?!
Can it be made that you can use mouse to fire like in FPS?
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

13KukYNexus666 wrote:
Can it be made that you can use mouse to fire like in FPS?
I don't see why not...
and it ends here.
coolkid
Trained
Trained

Post by coolkid »

lol this is very cool. I had to start warzone 2100 just to try this. played through some of the scav missions. Dont work well with lots of units tho lol. I think the camera needs some improvements while driving and we need a way to aim, shoot and to have other units follow.

This also leads my imagination to think this could lead to interesting single player player missions
the largest wz steam community http://steamcommunity.com/groups/wz2100 (all welcome to join help find matches find new relese and recruit new players)
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

I like the way that C&C: Renegade lets you play. I remember a mod somebody made for it, A Path Beyond, which added everything from C&C: Red Alert to the game, and it was absolutely awesome!

I already thought about speaking with people here to try and make a C&C renegade mod with warzone's structures and look-a-like units, but I'm up to the neck with work (from WZ and not from WZ) :cool:

But it would be undeniably cool & has been suggested and briefly discussed at a topic that elio created...
hmmm...
Found it!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2492&hilit=driving&start=15#p28036
Klavinmour
Greenhorn

Post by Klavinmour »

I remember a friend of mine talking to me about the Playstation version and being able to dirctly control the vehicle as by driving it, and controling the firing

My thoughts would me the mouse controls the turret, and arrow buttons the driving, LMB for fire RMB for exiting control mode? Or maybe some other feature
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Klavinmour wrote:I remember a friend of mine talking to me about the Playstation version and being able to dirctly control the vehicle as by driving it, and controling the firing

My thoughts would me the mouse controls the turret, and arrow buttons the driving, LMB for fire RMB for exiting control mode? Or maybe some other feature
The playstation versionallowed you to use the directional buttons/analog stick to control the vehicle (left/right rotated the camera, up/down was for accelerating. The ony way to control the firing was by selecting the target (by the way, you could select artefacts/oil drums to collect them), but you couldn't select the timing of the shots.]

I think that this feature would be good only if the vehicles had weak points (hitting the body would take more damage, hitting the turret would slow enemy ROF, hitting propulsion would lower speed, for example). :rolleyes:

That would be nice for games with a lower unit count. I can't imagine why someone would control a single vehicle on a 100x100 battle (perhaps if this single one had bonuses or something...)
Klavinmour
Greenhorn

Post by Klavinmour »

Olrox wrote:
Klavinmour wrote:I remember a friend of mine talking to me about the Playstation version and being able to dirctly control the vehicle as by driving it, and controling the firing

The playstation versionallowed you to use the directional buttons/analog stick to control the vehicle (left/right rotated the camera, up/down was for accelerating. The ony way to control the firing was by selecting the target (by the way, you could select artefacts/oil drums to collect them), but you couldn't select the timing of the shots.]

I think that this feature would be good only if the vehicles had weak points (hitting the body would take more damage, hitting the turret would slow enemy ROF, hitting propulsion would lower speed, for example). :rolleyes:

That would be nice for games with a lower unit count. I can't imagine why someone would control a single vehicle on a 100x100 battle (perhaps if this single one had bonuses or something...)

Control a Command Turret unit, that way you have multiple assigned to you and will follow what you do
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Klavinmour wrote: Control a Command Turret unit, that way you have multiple assigned to you and will follow what you do
My point is that, if you are fighting large-scale battles, it is preferrable that you have a complete view over both the forces, instead of being limited to see what a single unit see. I usually divide my forces between two groups, driving around both the sides of the enemy group and ending up blocking the escape routes (if I note that I have advantages). This way, I can usually block their escape, fight possible reinforcements in a fast way, and bring reinorcements through my main attack route while the enemy focuses the attacks in my original group.
I can't see how I could possibly do that when I'm seeing things through a single unit's eyes - that's my point.

Perhaps if we raised the command turret bonus significantly, but limited it so that the commanders can only be used in drive mode. That would give a great plus to the (currently practically obsolete) commanders, and add a real purpose for controlling groups personally, from an unfavorable point of view.
Klavinmour
Greenhorn

Post by Klavinmour »

Olrox wrote:
Klavinmour wrote: Control a Command Turret unit, that way you have multiple assigned to you and will follow what you do
My point is that, if you are fighting large-scale battles, it is preferrable that you have a complete view over both the forces, instead of being limited to see what a single unit see. I usually divide my forces between two groups, driving around both the sides of the enemy group and ending up blocking the escape routes (if I note that I have advantages). This way, I can usually block their escape, fight possible reinforcements in a fast way, and bring reinorcements through my main attack route while the enemy focuses the attacks in my original group.
I can't see how I could possibly do that when I'm seeing things through a single unit's eyes - that's my point.

Perhaps if we raised the command turret bonus significantly, but limited it so that the commanders can only be used in drive mode. That would give a great plus to the (currently practically obsolete) commanders, and add a real purpose for controlling groups personally, from an unfavorable point of view.
Directly controlling a unit is more for fun then anythign else, you know how after 7 hours of play you have finished all research and have 300,000 power stored up and can waste it on units? That is pretty much what you can do if you want :P YOu seem to be taking it all into practicality of use
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Klavinmour wrote: :P YOu seem to be taking it all into practicality of use
Sure thing: If something is fun but not practical, it looses quality. Because usually people do "fun" things (like driving 250 twin machinegun viper wheels into a teching-up enemy's base) only a few times, then easily get bored.

If something is fun AND practical, people can get entertained while making something that works well, and won't be reluctant to do it over and over again - because it works out good in this case. :D
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

I know! Instead of taking the higher of the unit and commander experience, we add the commander experience! Then the bonus would be very significant.