Warzone Source Code Guide (?)

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
smallfly
Trained
Trained

Warzone Source Code Guide (?)

Post by smallfly »

Is there a guide explaining how the warzone source code functions in general? I mean something like:

"There are 3 important loops: The mainLoop, the multiplayerLoop, the ... The first loops calls ... The initialization of all units is done there ... The menu buttons are handled here and trigger functions there ..."

Just a beginner guide for people who want to understand the structure of the code. I would really like to implement some new functions.
Avestron
Trained
Trained

Re: Warzone Source Code Guide (?)

Post by Avestron »

Actually a file-by-file guide would be highly welcome (can start out partial) to any who would dare think of tinkering with code.

For instance - which file handles rules over wall behaviour? (such as deciding whether a wall will show vertical or horizontal in relation to player) ;)
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

+ support
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Some (possibly outdated) information can be found at http://developer.wz2100.net/wiki/Coding and http://developer.wz2100.net/wiki/Code_Documentation. Updates welcome.
smallfly
Trained
Trained

Post by smallfly »

by the way: do we have a forum for REAL development questions? i mean questions concerning source code? ive never seen any topic that contained real warzone source code
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

smallfly wrote:by the way: do we have a forum for REAL development questions? i mean questions concerning source code? ive never seen any topic that contained real warzone source code
Code development discussions usually take place on the mailing list, or on the development IRC channel.
smallfly
Trained
Trained

Post by smallfly »

Per wrote:Code development discussions usually take place on the mailing list, or on the development IRC channel.
But arent there only current topics being discussed? If you want to expand any source code file, the probability that especially that file is currently being discussed is very less, isnt it? Nevertheless thanks for the hint. I will join both systems ;)
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

ya know... if i am remembering properly... and i do... it was suggested to keep what is being asked for just in case somebody comes along and starts asking questions... like i did prior to the source release for the tutorials... funny how things turn out eh??? xD xD xD xD xD xD
-Kosh-
Trained
Trained

Post by -Kosh- »

smallfly wrote:by the way: do we have a forum for REAL development questions? i mean questions concerning source code? ive never seen any topic that contained real warzone source code
I agree this will be a nice addition. Forum gods, make it happen, and fix the nested quoting limit as well since it will be way too hard to do this with a limit of 1 quote per post. :)
Per wrote: Code development discussions usually take place on the mailing list, or on the development IRC channel.
You forgot trac! ;) You said forum is better.
IMHO the mailing list is not well suited for code discussions, and I have yet to see any code discussions on #warzone2100 for the past 4-5 months. It could be a timezone issue though.
I do not think I have seen code discussions on the ML for a very long period of time.
This is a waste of space. Something important should be here.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

-Kosh- wrote:You forgot trac! ;) You said forum is better.
We only say forum is better when talking about balance issues (i.e. non-code-related). For all other issues, we keep them in Trac.
-Kosh- wrote:IMHO the mailing list is not well suited for code discussions, and I have yet to see any code discussions on #warzone2100 for the past 4-5 months. It could be a timezone issue though.
I do not think I have seen code discussions on the ML for a very long period of time.
Code discussions occur in #warzone2100-dev
-Kosh-
Trained
Trained

Post by -Kosh- »

Zarel wrote:Code discussions occur in #warzone2100-dev
Damnit I was on the wrong channel! lol
Is there a log available to see what has been talked about before? I know there is one for #warzone2100 and I assume there is one for #warzone2100-dev?
This is a waste of space. Something important should be here.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

-Kosh- wrote:Damnit I was on the wrong channel! lol
Is there a log available to see what has been talked about before? I know there is one for #warzone2100 and I assume there is one for #warzone2100-dev?
There is, but it's so well protected that even I'm not allowed to see it.

(I'm serious. Well, it's more that I can't see it because no one remembers the password, but that's pretty much the same thing.)
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Zarel wrote:

(I'm serious. Well, it's more that I can't see it because no one remembers the password, but that's pretty much the same thing.)
How bazaar, um, I mean bizarre or actually it sounds somewhat cathedral like which itself is bizarre in the sense I would have assumed a more bazaar like modus. Oh heck, what do I know. O_o

- whip ;)
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Zarel wrote:We only say forum is better when talking about balance issues (i.e. non-code-related).
Or feature requests...

For the dev irc log, talk to Giel. Or set up your own logging bot :P
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Zarel wrote:
-Kosh- wrote:Damnit I was on the wrong channel! lol

Erm ... O_o
A new logbot will start up one of these days... there is a reason for everything grasshopper.
Nobody has had the time to set a new one up, it is as simple as that.
and it ends here.