Anti-Air testing

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Deus Siddis
Trained
Trained

Re: Anti-Air testing

Post by Deus Siddis »

Zarel wrote: Furthermore, we don't have graphics for laser beams, so we'd need someone to make them, first.
What kind of graphics specifically do you need? Just the texture(s)?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Deus Siddis wrote:What kind of graphics specifically do you need? Just the texture(s)?
No idea; I don't handle this kind of thing.

A muzzle flash in the form of a straight line (or two lines, in the case of Stormy) to whatever it's hitting could work.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

actually the laser wouldn't require a muzzle flash as there is no gunpowder used. just the single line or 2 lines as zarel stated... perhaps some smoke coming from the barrel / s after the shot...
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

lav_coyote25 wrote:actually the laser wouldn't require a muzzle flash as there is no gunpowder used. just the single line or 2 lines as zarel stated... perhaps some smoke coming from the barrel / s after the shot...
I don't mean a literal muzzle flash, but rather an effect that goes into the "muzzle flash" graphics slot of the projectile renderer.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Zarel wrote:I don't mean a literal muzzle flash, but rather an effect that goes into the "muzzle flash" graphics slot of the projectile renderer.
3 Options come to mind:

1) A ball of light the same color as the laser. While COMPLETELY not what would happen in real life, this seems to be the most popular way of representing any type of "beam of light" weapon these days (EVen Start Trek's Phasers had a "brighter" spot at the point of firing), and most people would therefore be able to instantly relate to it (sort of like the old coconut-halves-for-horse-hooves thing... just not right, but more people relate to them than real hooves)

2) Nothing. The Muzzle-flash function would just return "true", having done no actual drawing to the screen. Easiest to code, I'd assume, and close to accurate.

3) For total accuracy, you would probably need some form of "heat distortion wave" rising from the barrel; of course, this means that you can't define the color of the rendering, you'd have to first read what color the pixels behind it are... which is likely just too much of a pain to consider.
Deus Siddis
Trained
Trained

Post by Deus Siddis »

Zarel wrote: No idea; I don't handle this kind of thing.

A muzzle flash in the form of a straight line (or two lines, in the case of Stormy) to whatever it's hitting could work.
You mean like this?
Attachments
ion_beam_sample.png
ion_beam_sample.png (1.73 KiB) Viewed 4117 times
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Something like that, but smaller and packaged in a way that I don't have to do anything.
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

Thyranim wrote: no, the medium-bodies do have less weight, so they have more energy available for propulsion to lift the weapons
I though the stronger engines on the heavy bodies, mainly in the case of the Vengeance and Mantis, made up for that.

Damn, someone really needs to explain to me how the ratio works.

At what point does engine overcome weight?

At what point does the turret turn the rules around?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Kacen wrote:I though the stronger engines on the heavy bodies, mainly in the case of the Vengeance and Mantis, made up for that.

Damn, someone really needs to explain to me how the ratio works.

At what point does engine overcome weight?

At what point does the turret turn the rules around?
Well, basically, heavy bodies have a hardcoded speed reduction. (It's like heavy - 25% speed, medium, 75% speed, light, 100% speed). That's the main reason why they're doing that.
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

Zarel wrote: Well, basically, heavy bodies have a hardcoded speed reduction. (It's like heavy - 25% speed, medium, 75% speed, light, 100% speed). That's the main reason why they're doing that.
Oh...

This is completely independent of the actual body weight?

I always thought the fastest ground units you could possibly make is ether mantis or vengeance with hover and the lightest turret (I could never figure out which was faster; the Vengeance has a slightly stronger engine but the Mantis is slightly lighter. I tested them by racing the two units and if there was a difference it was so minor I didn't notice.)

So tell, what is the fastest body? Assuming we're using hover and the lightest turret?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Kacen wrote:So tell, what is the fastest body? Assuming we're using hover and the lightest turret?
It's about the same; most bodies can reach 300 (the current hover limit).

You do realize the propulsion screen in the design interface has speed information, right? Click a body, then go to the propulsion screen to see the speed.
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

Zarel wrote: You do realize the propulsion screen in the design interface has speed information, right? Click a body, then go to the propulsion screen to see the speed.
Yes I'm fully aware of that.

I was just under the impression that top speed was dictated by weighing the engine power with the weight of the body and turret, along with the propulsion type. Hover supports less...so depending on the turret it might go slower if the turret is real heavy...otherwise it'd go the fastest. Just for the record, I suck at math.

I had no idea medium and large bodies had penalties independent from their weight.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Speed is:

basespeed = propmult*engine*propsizemodifier/totalweight, capped at propmaxspeed

speed = basespeed*expmult

propsizemodifier is the 0.25, 0.75, 1.0 thing. I really dislike it, and am trying to get rid of it.
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

Yeah I have no idea what I'm reading...

Sorta on topic, I think the weight of the turrets should be overall more realistic. It should go by their literal size most of the time if you ask me.

I mean, for instance, the Hyper Velocity Cannon weighs a lot more than the light cannon, by a larger margin than it should, yet if you ask me it should only be maybe heavier by maybe 50 (it's roughly the same size), that's counting the thicker barrel and the ammo clip on the side.

Anti-Tank rockets should, overall, however, remain light weight to give them the advantage of speed though to make up for low body points. We can just assume ceramics/lightweight material or whatever.

But you get the idea.

The heavy laser, for instance, should definitely be made lighter. It weighs a lot more than the pulse laser...not that it shouldn't weigh more, it just weighs more than it should when you look at them size-wise.

It's currently useless as well, partially due to it's weight. It's heavy firepower over the pulse laser, and even it's relative high rate of fire for a "heavy" weapon with all the upgrades is so severely negated by it's short range. The way to make up for short range is speed...and with the heavy laser's weight that cannot be done.

The Plasmite Flamer fills the niche of the Heavy Laser much better, even if it's range is a bit shorter and it's less armored. It's lightweight and essentially has the same attack bonuses, plus has the yield bonus.
new paradigm leader
Trained
Trained

Post by new paradigm leader »

AA in this is weird i mean play the psx version and despite the graphics being poor the AA works fine, wonder if it would be possible to get a old original and rip its code out and implement certain bits like the AA
Return to your designated zone or be destroyed. You are in contravention of the new paradigm.