Metal Storm

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Lixtan
Trained
Trained

Metal Storm

Post by Lixtan »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO4fuRKkhFc

We have it now, and it's 2007.

Warzone takes place in 2100, and they use simple machineguns.

Let's get with the program, people! ;p (Definitely should be considered for future development.)

That's a million rounds a minute, if it wasn't said in the video.
Last edited by Lixtan on 29 Jan 2007, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.
PSWDeanCorso
Greenhorn

Re: Metal Storm

Post by PSWDeanCorso »

... wow, lol. AA, anti-missile, anti-tank, anti-whatever  ;)
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

erm... warzone takes place in the year 2100... and they started out using simple machineguns since they'd been in complete isolation for 100 years, and machineguns were appearantly the only things stored in their bunker.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

2050: Nato alliance collapses in face of growing nationalism and unrest in Europe.
2075: Nationalist unrest in Eastern Europe and Asia leads to nuclear attacks by terrorists.
2075: Synaptic Link research begins.
2077: Mongolia attacks China.
2079: Korea allies with Mongolia
2080: Synaptic link patented. First cyborg soldiers developed.
2080: N.A.S.D.A (North American Strategic Defense Agency) formed to protect North America From Nuclear Attacks.
2081: N.A.S.D.A begins building  satellite defense array.
2082: N.A.S.D.A satellite system comes on line.
2085: During routine testing the N.A.S.D.A system malfunctions and launches nuclear strikes against all major cities
in the world. The target countries respond with nuclear counter strikes.  N.A.S.D.A fails to defend againstincoming missiles.
2086: Nuclear Winter begins. Widespread plagues and famines kill billions of people. Civilization ends. N.A.S.D.A systems lie dormant following electromagnetic pulses. A group of survivors discover an abandoned subterranean military base. They set up home there and begin THE PROJECT.
2099: THE PROJECT emerges from it's military base.
2100: THE PROJECT begins its search for pre-collapse technologies.

"THE PROJECT is dedicated to to recovering pre-collapse technologies and rebuilding the world."
Project mission statement
"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."
John Hammond - Project Director.
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
Lixtan
Trained
Trained

Post by Lixtan »

All of that may be true, even though probability says that they'd have the stuff available, since it was a military installment inside of a mountain.

Anyhow, the point is, if we don't want to /replace/ the machinegun family entirely, we could at least add these in at some point, because nothing stops them from being researched, by any means.

Besides, Metal Storm is the perfect connection between electronics and kinetic weaponry - NEXUS would love the stuff. In that case, I could definitely see an easy implementation even just into the game world itself, let alone the campaigns, if we want to take some time to do so.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

there've been like 4 or 5 guns out there in the last couple years that are extremely sophisticated technologically, and are supposedly better than their older equivalents in every way, but never had good sales, simply because the armed forces of any country has learned all to well to ignore hype (whether or not a product is actually really good) -- it'll probably take about 8-12 years for the metal storm stuff to really catch on (at least in the us military), if it ever even does, since the military will often test an uncontracted weapon (one they didn't specifically ask to have designed) for that long before they consider it combat-worthy, and often if the price is too high per unit, whether or not maintainance costs are much lower in the long run, they'll avoid it (that's the reason the m16 is still heavily used -- really horribly tough to maintain in any dusty or moist environment, but otherwise cheap and fairly reliable).
Lixtan
Trained
Trained

Post by Lixtan »

Indeed this is true, but still, my point remains: Warzone takes place years in the future, right after the collapse. So it can be guaranteed that, they would /at least/ have all of these technologies that we don't currently use today, but have. Probably even advanced forms. =p
Heyoka Wakan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Heyoka Wakan »

Lixtan wrote: Indeed this is true, but still, my point remains: Warzone takes place years in the future, right after the collapse. So it can be guaranteed that, they would /at least/ have all of these technologies that we don't currently use today, but have. Probably even advanced forms. =p
make good story to explain and anything can be for us play to believe in game land i think
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

Lixtan wrote: Indeed this is true, but still, my point remains: Warzone takes place years in the future, right after the collapse. So it can be guaranteed that, they would /at least/ have all of these technologies that we don't currently use today, but have. Probably even advanced forms. =p
in the next 15 or 20 years, this type of technology could definitely mature, but who knows? just as tanks are becoming obselete since they're becoming extremely easy and cheap to destroy, perhaps by 2050, metalstorm derivatives are so ungodly effective in all parts of warfare that, to counter metal storm, lesser-equipped enemies would invest in emp weapons that would render metalstorm completely useless, and would just rush in to capture the now disarmed enemy -- they have metal-storm, but because of the emp, their weapons' circuits are overloaded, and are either not firing, or firing randomly. of course, the attacking enemy would have to do without computers, radios, and a few other things, but to achieve easy victory, it's the smallest price to pay.

so then the people with metalstorm-based weapons make hardened versions that are resistant to electronic overload, and so the people with the old-fashioned weapons just pump a whole lot more power into their emp emitters -- classic arms race.

there are two general rules to which all this apply:
  • the more sophisticated something is, the more easily it is to defeat.
  • and if something is both sophisticated and reliable: "the guy with the helicopter always loses" -- it's far too expensive to maintain reliable and sophisticated weapons... even if you win, you lose.
trick is to have a variety of weapons that fail under different conditions, so that you can use metalstorm until they do something to make metalstorm less effective, at which point you still have something to fall back on.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

sharp pointy sticks and fist sized rocks. ;D  with the jaw bone of a (mule / donkey / ass ) for good measure. ::)
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
Stormkeeper
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Stormkeeper »

Then, we'd better think about a rapid fire shotgun, with HEAP ammo, strapped to a Python.

*thinks about it*

Ouch.
+[Unstoppable]+
Hectichermit
Greenhorn

Post by Hectichermit »

okay letsee how much heat is produce when you fire a single round*1000000= melting barrel.so let see also why waste a million rounds when 1 round is all you need ,ever heard oF armor piercing?
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

from the stuff i read, the ball is magnetically suspended in the center of whatever tube it's traveling through, so it has no contact with the "barrel", and thus pretty much no friction (hence very little heat). i am a bit skeptical in regards to the armor piercing capabilities of this purported weapon, though -- it seems to have a "bash it down" philosophy instead of the increasingly exact "cut through it" design.
Hectichermit
Greenhorn

Post by Hectichermit »

well I dont think a magnet a few inches long,hand gun, could accelerate the projectile fast enough and if it uses a traditional brass cartridge the heat for the explosion would still make contact with the barrel....also how would you make the bullet spin?Rifling is the basis for accurate weapons spining makes the bullet travel srtaighter.....
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

Hectichermit wrote: well I dont think a magnet a few inches long,hand gun, could accelerate the projectile fast enough and if it uses a traditional brass cartridge the heat for the explosion would still make contact with the barrel....also how would you make the bullet spin?Rifling is the basis for accurate weapons spining makes the bullet travel srtaighter.....
sort of... rifling just makes a bullet resist air friction and wind a lot more -- in space, smooth bore would be just as good in regards to accuracy. i'm not very well versed in the aerodynamics of wingless objects, but a spherical bullet probably would be more accurate (though have less penetrating power) than the modern bullet, since as soon as it starts to "tumble" just a little, since it's round, it wouldn't cascade into an increasingly erratic tumble, as is experienced by rifled rounds that lose spin. if spinning helps increase the accuracy of the spherical bullet, which it probably would (though with less benefit than on regular bullets), you could probably do that by having each half of the bullet polarized differently (one "north", and one "south), while alternating the magnetic charge as it travels along the tube in such a way as to force it to spin while accelerating. in practice, such a thing should be quite easy to do -- sort of like "magnetic rifling".

theoretically (and in practice), you can make a magnetic accelerator that's 5 cm long work as well as one that's 5 meters long, as long as the 5 cm one has a much much stronger magnetic field. i agree with you that i very seriously doubt the penetrating power of the hand gun, but for another reason: that i don't see some 40 kg battery pack plugged into it, and also, because each round in that would probably have to be completely made out of depleted uranium to avoid shattering on impact with a thick sheet of even simple steel armor.

oh, and it's supposed to be completely electromagnetic, so there's no "propellant", chemical or otherwise, hence no explosion. in theory, it should surpass conventional weapons in every way, but i just don't see how they could possibly generate enough power to keep these things working for more than a few minutes without debilitating battery packs or ultra-portable generators that make it impractical for infantry use, and equally impractical to use the large vehicle-mounted models.