Cant get WZ to work on my Mac Powerbook G4

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
RayfenWindspear
Rookie
Rookie

Cant get WZ to work on my Mac Powerbook G4

Post by RayfenWindspear »

Not exactly a bug report since it works for others but I'll follow the template anyway...

Warzone2100 Version
2.0.5 (I tried 2.0.4 as well)

Operating System
Mac OS X v10.4.8

Hardware Information
PowerBook G4 12", PowerPC G4, 1.5 GHz, 1.25 GB RAM, GeForce FX Go5200 64MB

Warzone2100 Configuration
width=800
playaudiocds=1
type=14
gamma=25
radarTerrainMode=1
compPlay=0
radarObjectMode=0
voicevol=100
sound=1
sequences=0
shake=1
power=700
playerName=Rayfen
visfog=0
fxvol=100
scroll=800
forceName=Default
phrase0=
fullscreen=0
difficulty=1
resolution=640x480
phrase1=
colour=0
mouseflip=1
phrase2=
phrase3=
phrase4=
cdvol=50
height=600
alliance=0
reopenBuild=0
shadows=0
barmode=0
gameName=Food
base=0
maxPlay=4
fog=1
allowSubtitles=0
subtitles=1
limit=0
modemId=0
mapName=Sk-Rush

Bug Description
Ok, I'll start by saying what DOES work. The program works fine until I actually try to start playing a game. Works in fullscreen and window. All the menus work fine.

Now what DOESNT work...
Like I said, it crashes anytime I try to initiate a game. While its trying to load, the load bar thing at the bottom freaks out and turns completely white before it dies. I've tried everything I can think of.

EDIT: I am still trying to confirm this but... the GeForce FX Go5200 that comes in the 12" Powerbooks could be what is causing my problem. Is anyone having the same problems? Which reminds me, I have a friend with my exact same book, I'll try it on his too.
Last edited by RayfenWindspear on 13 Feb 2007, 06:55, edited 1 time in total.
-RayfenWindspear-
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Re: Cant get WZ to work on my Mac Powerbook G4

Post by Rman Virgil »

RayfenWindspear wrote: .....................

EDIT: I am still trying to confirm this but... the GeForce FX Go5200 that comes in the 12" Powerbooks could be what is causing my problem. Is anyone having the same problems? Which reminds me, I have a friend with my exact same book, I'll try it on his too.
* That last EDIT  is a good TROUBLESHOOTING strategy.

* Been away from the Mac OS for awhile and don't know it as deeply as I used to.....

* So this is a shot in dark till one of the devs has a chance to respond -

* You may be missing a redistributable library on your comp that the .exe is dependent upon to actually launch in-game (not the same as the GUI) .

* Or it could be that GFX card's driver.

* Or something else..

* I'm not making light, I know how frustrating it can be.

* One of the  Devs will likely be around in the next 8 hours and can lend more expertise to resolving this problem.

* All the best.
Last edited by Rman Virgil on 13 Feb 2007, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
RayfenWindspear
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for the reply  ;)

My recent attempts have included compiling my own app from source but that didn't get me anywhere really... it was a beast getting all the libs and frameworks needed to compile it.
-RayfenWindspear-
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Maybe Ari can assemble a devpkg for Mac, if there is no other way to recieve the libs...
RayfenWindspear
Rookie
Rookie

Oh I have the libs... besides they are included in the app file anyway so it doesnt matter if you have them or not for playing the game on mac. :P

I found out that it doesnt work on my friends 12" Powerbook either (exact same models purchased within days of each other). I'm still under the impression that it is the video card that is producing the problem, especially since it crashes while trying to load the game (presumably the textures and whatnot).

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do? Supposedly Apple releases upgraded drivers with their misc patches and as such there are no available video driver downloads for macs (at least for this card :'(). Open source drivers would be lovely.... :-\

... just thought of a few more random experiments to try :o
Last edited by RayfenWindspear on 14 Feb 2007, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.
-RayfenWindspear-
RayfenWindspear
Rookie
Rookie

It appears to be a problem with OpenGL... its amazing what you can learn by searching your ENTIRE hard disk for anything video related. ;D  I found the OpenGL Profiler tool and fired it up while WZ was running. It seems to be caught in a loop (and currently still is) while its trying to draw the map... i think ??? Anyway... I found a lot of neato tools such as misc OpenGL device emulators that I'll get around to trying out.

BTW... WZ doesnt crash-quit while the profiler is logging but I think thats only because its going like 1/1000th the normal speed.

EDIT: That was somewhat unexpected... with the profiler running it finished (or very nearly finished) loading the textures and actually displayed the starting screen before locking up. I say screen instead of map because thats all I can see of the map... just the start point, no vehicles, no nothing, cept the terrain. It didnt quit out(it stopped responding) but still gave me the same error which I sent to Apple this time since I'm pretty sure that my GPUs interaction with OpenGL is the problem... I mean drivers.
Last edited by RayfenWindspear on 15 Feb 2007, 08:41, edited 1 time in total.
-RayfenWindspear-
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

DId you tell us the error message you sent to Apple?
What profilers do you have? I only have a 30-day-trial-version of gDEBugger which I cannot use anymore since a while... Are there free alternatives?
RayfenWindspear
Rookie
Rookie

Sorry I havent replied in a long friggen time... I got golfers elbow and had to take it easy for a while. I still cant do much but I'll at least get back to some tinkering. I really want to get this working on my blasted Mac so I can help out with development but it still seems a ways off so don't expect too much of me yet.
-RayfenWindspear-