The *NEW* Warzone walkthrough (Done with RED units)

All campaign discussions go here.
Tips / tricks & help!
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Re: The *NEW* Warzone guide. Done with RED units V2.2RC1

Post by themousemaster »

BETA 6

Now that I have VTOLS, I'll be able to take much better battlefield screenshots. Odds are you will see a lot of bug-VTOL-MGs flying around in the rest of the guide; they are my "UAV" design, and not very good at killing anything, so don't build them just cause you see me using em ;p.

Load up the force you placed at your LZ at the end of beta5 (Commander, 3 trucks, and 6 battle units), and lift off.

Upon landing, your transport will take AA fire... but yout transport has 6 zillion HP, so...

First, load up another transport (10 combat units, or 10 combat+trucks, your choice) and dispatch it immediately.

Take down the building directly west of the LZ, and place a Repair bay there. Then, shoot up some of the surrounding buildings for visible room, and proceed east to the "we shot your transport" area.
beta6 - starting.JPG
You'll notice the Cyborgs I mention. They will make a run for your LZ if given a chance, so don't go all gung-ho in taking out this "base"; push it slowly, waiting for your reinforcements if necessary, and always keep your MBG in position to defend your LZ if needed (at least, until this first "base" is taken out). The lancer bunkers can, after all, actually hurt.

Kill the 2 lancer bunkers on the far west of this "base" first (and quickly), and set up defenses guarding the northern approach to your LZ. The collective will be attacking from there with medium-body tanks using 2 new types of gun known as the "Assault Gun" and "HPV". If they show up mid-defense-construction, don't worry; you WERE holding your MBG back as I instructred for the cyborgs, right? As this force is mostly medium-body, a respectable showing of defense will work.
beta6 - N attack.JPG
You'll notice where I set up the defenses; the depression in the land just North of this leads to a nice bottleneck whereby the enemy tanks can't fire from; only the ones at the crest of the pit can return fire, dramatically reducing their effectiveness.

When this skirmish is done, your new units will have landed. Load up another transport (your Artillery Team this time), and launch it. Move your reinforced MBG east, and take out the rest of the "we shot your transport" base, including al the neutral buildings. Don't climb the hill east of it yet though (feel free to shoot the 2 HC towers looking at you from up there, of course). Also, as your MBG is doing this, set up some artillery emplacements south of your Repair bay. Enemy VTOLS will start showing up at this time, but not in huge numbers.

With the SouthWest of the map now in your control, lets set up some anti-collective defenses, eh? (When your Artillery Team lands, you can send up some additional trucks if you want, but you shouldnt need any more battle units for the remainder of the stage). Keep your MBG guarding that eastern ramp as you do what the next screenshot shows; although rare, sometimes a group of hovertank-TKs comes from here, which would be bad for your trucks.
beta6 - Artillery Alley.JPG
Set up the AA guns first, to stop those annoying planes. When the AA and the sensor towers are set up, go ahead and throw your MBG up the eastern ridge while your trucks keep building. (There's not much to show up there Screenshot wise, as you will get stopped by the water. You can shoot up the rest of that south-central platform, and maybe get their hover units though).
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

The collective, for the rest of the stage, will keep sending units out the west side of their base to attack you, but with the artillery you have, anything that shows up should die horribly before it gets close. those 2 LAncer towers at the north-central area of that last screenshot "may" take a hit, but that's about it.

Also, your artillery will be busy eradicating collective stuff while units aren't there to shoot at. Perfect :P.

When you feel secure that the Collective Mobile threat is done (or your artillery just runs out of stuff to shoot at in the meantime), move your MBG up the west edge of the map. The "Pit of Death" isn't very deadly when nothing is at the other end to oppose you. Clear out all the neutral buildings (and the pack of 2 Assault Gun medium-body tanks) to make room, then send in your trucks.
beta6 - prepping.JPG
When your "NorthWest" base looks like this, you are ready. Attach your Artillery Team to the new Sensor (but actually leaving them where they are to be safe, I love long-range Howitzers) for additional support fire.
beta6 - outer base.JPG
The outer portion of the Collective Base, which will come under continuous shelling while you push it. Push-and-Retreat tactics (remember those?) will allow a fairly easy climb up this portion of the map. When this area is clear, see if you can sneak a truck or 3 in to build a sensor tower where indicated, and attach your Artillery Team to it; most of the rest of the collective base will get stomped without you even needing to be there (you will need to "peek" up there for the initial spot, but then just having the fixed-tower will do). Just be sure not to kill the "milk the stage" structure.
beta6 - inner base.JPG
Transport in any MG tanks you still have at your Beta Base.

You will get the HPV and the Assault Gun for your efforts (and a power upgrade). The HPV is "meh" (your HC's are generally more effective in the Campaign), but the Assault Gun is DA BOMB. Recycle all your HMG tanks and replace them with an AG design ASAP. This will be one of your premier weapons through early Gamma stages.

Once the AG is researched, you will also have access to the final AA gun, which will also prove useful. Finally, your team is getting some good gear :).

Recycle as much of this stage as you have the patience for, and when your new AG tanks are all done, and you are happy, take out the last AA turret.

END BETA6
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Beta6 - Beta7 interlude

I'm not going to have time to get to Beta7 just yet, but I will give you a bit of info:

The next stage is far from easy, but it IS very short. Either you will win or lose, but it takes maybe a half hour, 45 minutes tops.

The timer is 1 hour 15 minutes.

Take the first 15 minutes of this stage, and add Whirlwind AA turrets to your existing AA pits around the Beta Base map (LOTS of em), and use your new AG-Hardpoint design to bolster your various defenses that I had you set up at the end of Beta5. AG's are great against not just cyborgs, but even tanks up through medium bodies; so you really can't go wrong with lots of them.

You *can* add HPV defenses to your "battle lines" at beta base if you want, but if you have any space left over, I'd leave it for the upcoming TK weapons.

After 15 minutes of Beta Prep, load up 4 trucks and 6 combat units (3 of your new AGs, 3 lancers), and lift off.

End Beta6 - Beta7 interlude
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

I've edited Alpha 1 a bit and put it in the Guide: http://guide.wz2100.net/alpha1

Thoughts?

This took a long time; it'll probably be a few days before I get the rest up.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Looks good to me. I like the hotlinking.

And given the rate at which I'm updating this recently, you may well end up "catching up" to my current stage :P. Though I did notice you edited out my part about letting the stage run for cash... and then someone int he comments below it immediately suggested letting the stage run for cash :P.

I'll save actual proofreading until I'm finished on my end though :P.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

themousemaster wrote:And given the rate at which I'm updating this recently, you may well end up "catching up" to my current stage :P. Though I did notice you edited out my part about letting the stage run for cash... and then someone int he comments below it immediately suggested letting the stage run for cash :P.
Well, considering Alpha 2 is easy enough to finish without tons of cash, it's better to wait until Alpha 3's timerless stage before you let the stage run for cash.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Zarel wrote:Well, considering Alpha 2 is easy enough to finish without tons of cash, it's better to wait until Alpha 3's timerless stage before you let the stage run for cash.
I just as soon figured you left it out since I put it in the "Before you Begin" section, which I figured would be somewhere else, in a FAQ or somesuch, as a "basic strategy" section, which just hadn't been posted up yet.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

themousemaster wrote:I just as soon figured you left it out since I put it in the "Before you Begin" section, which I figured would be somewhere else, in a FAQ or somesuch, as a "basic strategy" section, which just hadn't been posted up yet.
Well, the Before You Begin section is up - there's a link to it on the Walkthrough page (alternatively, click "Back" from Alpha 1).
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Zarel wrote:Well, the Before You Begin section is up - there's a link to it on the Walkthrough page (alternatively, click "Back" from Alpha 1).
So there is. Sorry I didn't notice it, the hotlink took me directly to Alpha1, I didn't think of "backing up" to see if there was more.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Oh, and, can you take your screenshots on a smaller resolution?

That'll make it easier to see things when it's resized.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Zarel wrote:Oh, and, can you take your screenshots on a smaller resolution?

That'll make it easier to see things when it's resized.
I just take screenshots, convert them to JPEG, draw on them and post. Never actually fooled with sizes.

Wouldn't taking a lower res shot result in massive pixelation when they are then blown up to respectable sizes to view?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

themousemaster wrote:I just take screenshots, convert them to JPEG, draw on them and post. Never actually fooled with sizes.

Wouldn't taking a lower res shot result in massive pixelation when they are then blown up to respectable sizes to view?
No, I mean play the game on a smaller resolution, so your screenshots would obviously be smaller.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Zarel wrote: No, I mean play the game on a smaller resolution, so your screenshots would obviously be smaller.
Oh. Arg.

I wonder if one of the other file formats would shrink/enlarge better...
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

themousemaster wrote:Oh. Arg.

I wonder if one of the other file formats would shrink/enlarge better...
JPEG on High is fine for general-use screenshots. So can you play on a smaller resolution? 640x480 looks best for screenshots, although 800x600 might be better in some cases.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Zarel wrote: JPEG on High is fine for general-use screenshots. So can you play on a smaller resolution? 640x480 looks best for screenshots, although 800x600 might be better in some cases.
I suppose "for the good of the people" I can go back to 800X600.

Out of curiosity: wouldnt a screenshot of a max-zoomed-out 800X600 shot actually show less land than a max-zoomed-out one of 1024X768?