Warzone Hardcore Mode Mod V2.0 Released!

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Warzone Hardcore Mode Mod V2.0 Released!

Post by Zarel »

Mysteryem wrote:Editing the files in base.wz and mp.wz has always worked fine for me. You edit the file, save it and then winrar asks you if you want to update the file. However I think opening an archive from inside an archive might not work becuase I think it's stored in a temporary directory when you open it.
Oh, hmm, I didn't know WinRAR did that.

Well, then, either way, you shouldn't be messing with base.wz and mp.wz. Those are base files. Put your modifications in a mod, gosh. <_<
marcmad
Trained
Trained

Post by marcmad »

so... shall i wit you make your change so it work on the new version or shall i play it with the older version? :P
*it will be more easy with new version because they managed that your tank are less stupid*
marcmad
Trained
Trained

Post by marcmad »

LOL it's much more easy with that version, ennemie tanks are easier to kill :) I'm now in the collective campaign mission 3
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Post by psychopompos »

thank you!
just finished alpha 4(i think) the away mission with the np.

i actually had to think!

didnt loose that may units (16), but the act of inflicting effective damage on NP took careful consideration and many mortars :D
seriously, almost half my force are mortars now, with enough direct combat units to give cover.
and only had 5 minutes left on the clock when done.
playing on hard btw :cool:
unholy
New user

Post by unholy »

Please, don't change names blindly. The tech tree in WZ is big enough for a game and renaming things in it just creates confusion. Also do some background checks first to avoid nonsense.

--- quote ---
New Cannons:
SSL Cannon (Supersonic Light Cannon)
SSM Cannon (Supersonic Medium Cannon)
SSH Cannon (Supersonic Heavy Cannon)
-- /quote ---

The name "Supersonic cannon" is meaningless. Subsonic cannons have become obsolete about two centuries ago. All normal caliber cannons and most of the howitzers are supersonic (have launch velocity over 360 m/s), so the only "new" thing here is the name.

Only mortars and rocket artillery in WZ are subsonic.

--- quote ---
Hypersonic Cannon (Hyper Velocity Cannon)
--- /quote ---

I think Hyper Velocity Cannon/Assault Cannon/Twin Assault Canon are good enough names.

As for medium/heavy HV cannons, they don't exist in WZ basically because they don't exist in real life. You can't create cost effective gun capable of launching high caliber projectile at such speeds.

All real life HV cannons are smoothbore and launch small caliber, long, dart-like fin stabilized projectiles (called APFS Ammo in WZ tech tree). For larger caliber ammo rotation is more suitable way of stabilization, which means rifled barrel and lower launch velocity. Also higher launch velocity means that you'll need heavier barrel and it will wear out much faster (especially if it is rifled).

That's why WZ developers increased the number of barrels instead of the caliber when they designed upgrades for HV cannons.

--- quote ---
Rail Gun Tecnology:
Gauss Missile (Scourge Missile)
--- /quote ---

"Gauss" is a unit, used to measure magnetic flux density or magnetic induction. While this makes it suitable name for weapons that use electromagnetic linear acceleration to launch projectile, it is quite hard to figure how it can end up as name for a missile. Even if we assume that Scourge missile launchers use electromagnetic acceleration to slightly increase launch velocity this is not enough to rename them.

One more thing. Railguns are distinct from Gauss cannons. Instead of using number of electromagnetic coils activated in sequence (linear electric motor) they use rails that generate strong magnetic field and pass large current through the projectile via sliding contacts (homopolar electric motor). This way railgun technology is not very suitable as a way to accelerate activated missile, so if you want to link scourge research to something in this tech tree it must be the Gauss cannon instead. But making Scourge research depend on Gauss cannons will basically lock out those missiles from the campaign, because as i remember Gauss cannons are researched only around the middle of the last Nexus mission.

I really love playing your mod BTW - it makes WZ campaign almost as interesting as multiplayer.
Nyarla
New user

Post by Nyarla »

Really a great job. makes the whole campaign finally interesting, i thought u would like to hear some positive feedback and some prasing, even if its an old mod. i dunno if there is a more up to date topic, so i just decided to post here.

I started playing this few weeks ago and sadly,as soon as i understood the game mechanics. the campaign became rather boring. Not to mention the final mission was a joke, after the first 5 minutes (setting up AA and artillerybatteries) it was only mopping up what remained of the enemy. i tried playing it on hard difficulty and DyDo- AI, though the AI reacted a bit better, it was still far from being a challenge, and i spent more time leveling up my units through wall-kills, than actual battle. there was no real need for unit diversity ( HC-tanks and 2 commander usually did the job, no matter what the enemy sent) and the threat of one of my precious hero-units dying was close to nonexistent, at least if u kept a repair bay close and always a way to retreat back to it.

But now i found this great mod, that really added some challenge to the whole game, playing in on hard finally feels like it. Its far from impossible to beat the missions, and i still got plenty of time left when i finish the stage. I'm currently at beta 2 and up to now the challenge was to fight in a way that my precious units don't die, and i don't get steamrolled before reinforcements arrive and help me turn the tides. It would probably be harder if it took longer for the reinforcements to arrive but right now i think the difficulty is good as it is. a good example would make the first beta mission, since the enemy overran the initial base defenses in mere seconds. really a sight to behold. so all that was left was to spam the cheapest trucks and set up 3 repair bays so my units would survive the onslaught, building towers or mortarpits as support backfired on my first try, cause the money was needed elsewhere and enemy VTOLS destroyed both my command center and the oil well in one attack ( i know i'm going to hate VTOLs in the missions to come). when the first reinforcements landend, i was finally able to mount an offensive against the enemy mortar pits. and after that is was pretty much over since more troops kept coming and my 2nd commander was able to move towards the lz. though it still took me 15 more minutes until i had wiped out everything but one tower. power was for most of the stage down at zero and not the usual abundance of supplies (damn repairs cost quite a bit if u have to keep doing it over and over).that u have even if u don't wait out the timer.
I'm looking forward to playing the rest of the campaign and thought i go and thank the creator BP for his amazing work, even if this topic has been inactive for more than a year. if u ever make a new version of this mod, u might wanna overthink, changing those scav pod-pits back, cause my tanks killed the tower much faster than they would, if it was a pit.

right now, i'm enjoying myself in the role of the outnumbered outgunned underdog. its not an experience that i would want to miss it really adds to the fun, and for that i'm grateful. and yes i'm the type that writes too much sometimes :)

Nyarla
DylanDog
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by DylanDog »

Nyarla wrote: i tried playing it on hard difficulty and DyDo- AI
DyDo-AI works on skirmish/multiplay only.
My Warzone 2100 mods:
Download DyDo-AI for Warzone skirmish/multiplayer games.
Download A2C-HM (Alpha 2 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Download A3C-HM (Alpha 3 Campaign - Hard Mode).
marcmad
Trained
Trained

Post by marcmad »

actually, can we use it with newer mod or still the 2.1?
Project
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Project »

Hi.

Just noticed that laser weapons seem to be bugged and will not cause any damage at all, making them worthless. The laser shot doesn't leave the barrel. I think this also seems to affect the nexus link towers as well.
Slaughter
Greenhorn

Post by Slaughter »

Hi, I hope I'm not being annoying by necroing a page 3 thread, but I just downloaded 2.1.3 to start playing this mod. So far still in Mission 1, more feedback to come.

A query: Is there a possibility for a v3.0 Hardcore Mode Mod for the latest version of Warzone 2100?

EDIT: WHOA, I never thought Scavengers would ever be more than insects to be crushed at my lesure, and yet I took around a hour or more to finish Alpha 1! I did some things I never thought I would, like a daring hit-and-run raid to destroy the second Scav base's factory to get flamer and stop production, and using cliff walls to shield my fighting retreats.

So far, pretty good! I'm going to continue tomorrow as it is already dawn. I can't believe you made me afraid of facing the horrors that await me in Alpha 2! :shock: :twisted:
Black Project
Regular
Regular

Post by Black Project »

Hello Slaughter, welcome to the forum :)

Actually, i'm no more supporting/developing this mod, i'm currently working on another mod with the same purpose (making campaign challenging) which can be found on the following link:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8504

It's another experience than the previous mod (WZ Hardcore), but feel free to play, i'm not forcing you to do so :wink:
Slaughter
Greenhorn

Post by Slaughter »

Black Project wrote:Hello Slaughter, welcome to the forum :)

Actually, i'm no more supporting/developing this mod, i'm currently working on another mod with the same purpose (making campaign challenging) which can be found on the following link:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8504

It's another experience than the previous mod (WZ Hardcore), but feel free to play, i'm not forcing you to do so :wink:
Thanks for the welcome! I'm going to take a look after I'm finished with this one.
Is this new mod easier or harder? I can't see any kind of feature list on the new one. Because so far I can barely hold my own against freaking Scavengers in Hardcore.

Also, nice to see a fellow member of the Lusitanic nations working on this game.
Boris
Trained
Trained

Post by Boris »

all mods heer is nothing special..why still upload that.. no idea..
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Boris wrote:all mods heer is nothing special..why still upload that.. no idea..
Yeah, and your Super Remove Empty Line In The Code Mod is certainly worth it (:
Boris
Trained
Trained

Post by Boris »

not only line..did you try to play?