Announcement: Random map generator for Warzone 2.2

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
florian
Rookie
Rookie

Announcement: Random map generator for Warzone 2.2

Post by florian »

Hello all.

We have written a random map generator for Warzone 2.2.
You can find it here: http://warzone2100.org.uk/

There is also some documentation: http://warzone2100.org.uk/manual.html

As this is the first release, feedback, bug reports and feature suggestions
are greatly appreciated.

Have fun,
Florian, Martin
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Announcement: Random map generator for Warzone 2.2

Post by Zarel »

An actual map editor is planned for 2.0.0? :D How far off is that?
Tsade
New user

Post by Tsade »

That's incredible, I'm hoping that something like this will be directly implemented into the game.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Hmm, a Hei font. I like it.
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

Ahem...OMG FTW.

More seriously - this is a great program, good job! I say this deserves a sticky! Thought about converting it to C++ so it can be implemented in Warzone?
Bring back...ducks!
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Looks to make as good or better maps than 90% of mappers efforts over the last 10 years. Congrats. :)

regards, whipper :cool:
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
florian
Rookie
Rookie

Post by florian »

Zarel wrote:An actual map editor is planned for 2.0.0? :D How far off is that?
We're looking at 2+ of months before implementation work on it will start. Currently in the stage of gathering ideas and working out how the interface will work. But it will happen :)
Tsade wrote:That's incredible, I'm hoping that something like this will be directly implemented into the game.
If you look at the roadmap for 1.1.0, there will be a non-interactive version. This command line tool could be called by the warzone executable to create you a map on demand. It will be far more stripped down, so you only get to specify the number of players and the general size of the map. Everything else will be assigned randomly. (You'll get a random random map :))
BlueMaxima wrote:Ahem...OMG FTW.

More seriously - this is a great program, good job! I say this deserves a sticky! Thought about converting it to C++ so it can be implemented in Warzone?
Thanks ;)

I think you will never want to fully convert this to C or C++. Working on the assumption that one line of python is roughly 3 lines of C, and one line of ASP is roughly 25 lines of C, you will end up with a 25000+ line program (which would be rather unmaintainable, and harder to extend).

We do plan to re-write several bottleneck functions in Cython for the speed boost.
whippersnapper wrote:Looks to make as good or better maps than 90% of mappers efforts over the last 10 years. Congrats. :)
Thanks!
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

I think the random map generator should be used as a starting point for a real map. So you generate a random map and then spend a few hours tweaking it.

A true random map generator will probably have to be written in Lua -- on account that it needs to be part of the game to be truly useful.

Awesome work, though, would be very interested to see where it ends up.

Regards, Freddie.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

if thats the case it will need to output an .LND so that it can be used by the map editor...unless your speaking about the future map editor.
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

florian wrote:
Thanks ;)

I think you will never want to fully convert this to C or C++. Working on the assumption that one line of python is roughly 3 lines of C, and one line of ASP is roughly 25 lines of C, you will end up with a 25000+ line program (which would be rather unmaintainable, and harder to extend).

We do plan to re-write several bottleneck functions in Cython for the speed boost.
Fair enough. Would it be possible to provide compiled builds (for those who don't have a Python compiler)?
Bring back...ducks!
florian
Rookie
Rookie

Post by florian »

EvilGuru wrote:I think the random map generator should be used as a starting point for a real map. So you generate a random map and then spend a few hours tweaking it.

A true random map generator will probably have to be written in Lua -- on account that it needs to be part of the game to be truly useful.

Awesome work, though, would be very interested to see where it ends up.

Regards, Freddie.
Glad you like it - although I am not sure what you mean with "true" random map generator? One that is integrated into the game itself? In that case I think you could do it differently: Have a "special" map as an option for people to pick, and special case that to call the (upcoming) non-interactive map generator before the game starts.
lav_coyote25 wrote:if thats the case it will need to output an .LND so that it can be used by the map editor...unless your speaking about the future map editor.
The future map editor we will write will be able to edit the map directly without going via .lnd.
BlueMaxima wrote:Fair enough. Would it be possible to provide compiled builds (for those who don't have a Python compiler)?
There is no such thing as a python compiler - its an interpreted language. A simple "apt-get install python2.5" should do the trick, although I'm sure most distributions ship python by default.

If you're stuck in the windows world you can acquire python from http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5.4/ and Cython from http://www.cython.org/#download. However, not actually owning a single windows installation, I have no idea how to compile/install stuff.

On that note, if somebody wants to create a windows distribution of Diorama, Python, Cython, gringo and clasp, be my guest. I'd be happy to host packages.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

florian wrote:There is no such thing as a python compiler - its an interpreted language. A simple "apt-get install python2.5" should do the trick, although I'm sure most distributions ship python by default.

If you're stuck in the windows world you can acquire python from http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5.4/ and Cython from http://www.cython.org/#download. However, not actually owning a single windows installation, I have no idea how to compile/install stuff.

On that note, if somebody wants to create a windows distribution of Diorama, Python, Cython, gringo and clasp, be my guest. I'd be happy to host packages.
On the contrary, any language can be compiled. When we say Python is an interpreted language, we mean that the most popular implementation is interpreted. Other implementations, including compilers (such as PyPy/RPython), exist.
florian
Rookie
Rookie

Post by florian »

Zarel wrote:On the contrary, any language can be compiled. When we say Python is an interpreted language, we mean that the most popular implementation is interpreted. Other implementations, including compilers (such as PyPy/RPython), exist.
Nitpick :)
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

You can package it using Py2exe. It works reasonably well and produces some quite neat .exe files.

Calling out to an external program is not ideal -- and would make packaging more difficult -- hence why I believe gerard_ is working on a lua random map generator. But a map editor on the other hand...awesome.

Regards, Freddie.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

EvilGuru wrote:You can package it using Py2exe. It works reasonably well and produces some quite neat .exe files.
Question: Does that just bundle the code with a Python interpreter, or does it actually compile the code?