Warzone 2120 - Nexus Returns

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Valjack
Greenhorn

Re: Warzone 2120 - Nexus Returns

Post by Valjack »

nice nice nice :D

good job everyone, good idea in perspective :D

I had some new

About the Bodies :

The Force of the first campaign :
light : hyena
medium : Cheetah
heavy : Lion
(super heavy : ??? I don t find a name :p )

DAWN :
light : Raptor
medium : Rhino
heavy : Dragoon
(super heavy : T-Rex)

Nexus :
light : Judgement
medium : Destruction
heavy : Apocalyspe
(super heavy : Ultima)

The structure and defense will be the same that the Nexus' campaign.

I want to add something who will be cool if it works :cool:
=> conception of cyborg
with different body, weapon and propulsion system (2leg, 4 legs(like spider =p ), wheel, and cybog who can fly ^^ )

This is the story :

While you were destroying its base, NEXUS sent his whole memories and its main_program through an underground-tunnel-system to an island (the British Isles) near Europe. In Europe there is higher radiation than in America. The British Isles have been terribly destroyed by the A-bombs and H-bombs that were "sent" to earth. Nexus began to build a colonie on the British Isles, after the temperatures had normalized. Because it was connected to its base in America, it could easily send itself to Europa. NOW it is rebuilding its base and it takes improvements on the defense. First, the Project thought NEXUS was erased forever.
I'm French but I speak English (not well but I have a good level ^^)
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

the story sounds like warzone2200, a development project which died not far ago. perhaps you can ask them for idea input ;)

and a note which is not ment to be negative: talk about it is the one thing, do it actually requires more work.

regards
elio
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

elio wrote:the story sounds like warzone2200, a development project which died not far ago. perhaps you can ask them for idea input ;)
- Hmmm.... no can do really. All assets, including story and campaign missions, (with all WZ referents removed or transformed) have been rolled into a commercial indie strategy game being deved since WZ 2200 was suspended.. Nothing is wasted. ;)

- One thing I will say about the Nuke Holocaust back story in WZ 2100 is that it is skimpy, passe, gratuitous and derivative of 2 movies - Terminator and Road Warrior. I say gratuitous because it really didn't manifest in the actual game world or in game play mechanics which in WZ 2200 was not the case. Plus I did a lot of research into the most current science of Post Nuke Holocaust-Winter that was integrated in the 2200 campaign that substantively differed from WZ 2100's derivative story line and which specifically did manifest in the 2200 game world and in its GPMs.

- Lastly, in the new strategy game we're working on we use the fictive trope of a global pandemic instead of post nuke holocaust scenario with some very unusual twists not done in a game before which is why I won't discuss them in detail..

and a note which is not meant to be negative: talk about it is the one thing, do it actually requires more work.

regards
elio
- The main problem I have found with all these new WZ campaign proposals is that nobody has a clue how to script new missions
let alone being inclined to learn how to.... Even writing Mission Pre-Scripting analysis docs seems as remote as being able to write
Egyptian hieroglyphics... And without scripting talent all other assets amount to nothing as far as a new campaign.... Maybe folks will be inclined to learn Lua like they are not WZ Script and if that is what happens in years to come you may see a sequel campaign scripted from the ground up.... However, for the time being, the next best thing to a sequel CAM, IMHO, is Black Project's "HardCore Mod" to the WZ 2100 campaign... the game play is top notch, demands RL battlefield maneuver skills that are very satisfying to carry out - I highly recommend playing it.

- regards, whipper.
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
Ironfist
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ironfist »

Warzone "Next Generation" also could go to space for some frontiers.
MAybe meet some challenges on other planets .

"The Project" now control the planet Earth.Our scintists discovered stange signals from the star Wolf359.YOu have been send out with Interspace Cruiser "Piecemaker" to investigate"

Would be the next step after the world is united under The Project.

Or Warzone under/on water.
With Ships and Subs instead of tanks and Vtols.
Maybe
All Oil on land is used up or under control of forain forces. You have been send out to the Ocean to discover new resourses"
qwerty800
Trained
Trained

Post by qwerty800 »

3drts wrote:I had no idea what "Pillards" is - I entered it into Yahoo's translator, and got "Plunderer"
Yeah, it's the name we gave to the "Scavangers" in the French translation(dunno if it's used in any other :stare: ).
marcmad
Trained
Trained

Post by marcmad »

well, the true traduction to french is *charognard* but this don't seem good for human, human term is better if we say *pillard*

about story: The project is rebuilding when suddelny some nuclears missiles coming from europe come and destroy lot of place. Badly it seem the objective of ennemie were our laboratory and we losed part of our technologie. we get under attack by south america scavenger(yes, the campaign 1 were only in north america) and ennemie from europe is coming to make a base. Their objective is our core defense system but we must defend it or Nexus will control us.

here is the 1 campaign :P

scavenger from south america will use bazooka infantry and terrorist car(mean car explode on us and making LOT of damage)

In a mission we will have to shoot down the europe transport before they get too much for our weaker force. We have to find new technologie to compensate the lost. Maybe europe had secret about their militairy lvl...

well, if we do the campaing, i can give more idea :)
3drts
Trained
Trained

Post by 3drts »

*Warning - Long Post*

Presumably the Project would be left as the most advanced faction, due to its contact with Nexus.
I assume designs for the pulse lasers and railguns were in Nexus' memory banks, and Nexus had all the cutting edge technology that was in existence prior to the holocaust.
Knowing the collapse was coming, Nexus would be able to preserve technology that would otherwise be destroyed. European factions, according to the backstory of WZ2100, would not have the advantage of having an entity that knew the collapse was coming to preserve their most advanced technology.
No other faction should have superior tech - unless they are working for Nexus (Plasma pit artillery and auto repair? Better vehicle sensors? better cyborgs?)

I could see New Paradigm and Collective strength factions arising on their own in Europe, but their tech would be too low to be a threat to the project- unless they had nukes....

But as for other Scavengers....
1 assault gun retaliation light body tank with full upgrades could easily wipe out all the scavenger bases from any mission in the campaign.
Now given the proliferation of small arms within the US, I think the US would have some of the most heavily armed Scavengers- with Africa and the Middle east being heavily armed as well (perhaps less small arms but more large explosives and RPGs)
Terrorism doesn't work when the other side is willing to kill everyone- the USA could easily defeat the "terrorists" by mass slaughter of the population - Can't tell a terrorist from a civilian? No Problem, kill them anyway.

WZ 2100 doesn't seem to include the concept of "politically correct"

The game could begin with contact with the T2 level European forces- that the project easily wins, only to see the project bases wiped out by nuclear strikes from Europe/Asia, A surviving Project base sets out to fight them, now heavily outnumbered due to the nuclear strikes wiping out most of the project- A second Nuclear Holocaust in North America.

Your away team could consist of 10 tracked Vengance tanks (Assault Gun, Gauss, Pulse, Scourge, SAMs), fighting off an attack of 100 heavy cannon weilding tanks (approx python strength) - the enemy could have ~15 factories with constant production, lots of artillery, etc - the There would be being heavily outnumbered - followed by the European factions becoming more advanced in tech as you thin them out(Nexus contacts them), such that by the end they have tech parity, but you have numerical parity...

Or...
You could have side missions/Campaigns - As Nexus supplied the NP with tech, and the NP supplied the Scavs with weapons to fight the Project - so the project does against the European Factions.
The Project... too numerically weak to fight the European factions (or insufficient logistics to mount a transoceanic assault in the midst of rebuilding north America) - Sends over a commander and weapon Schematics to lead a group rebelling against some rising oppressive European Faction - Ie you start by playing as scavenger satellite state of the Project - with insufficient infrastructure to make the Advanced Project tech - the pulse laser schematics are useless- your "scavenger" basses can only manufacture crude RPGs and AK-47 type assault rifles, and crudly mount armor onto old automobile chassis -objectives can include leading this "scavenger rebelion" to assault and capture an enemy factory to enable tank construction - but lets say the factory is still to crude to manufacture railguns and guided missiles (lets ret-con it such that Research Facilities are needed to produce the advanced electronics for guided missiles, and laser/railgun capacitors, or advanced materials designed at the molecular level).
So your Scavengers set out to capture more and more "infrastructure" - so that they can use it to put the advanced project technology into use - we will assume the project recovered Auto-repair, and other techs after defeating Nexus in the final mission - so we may see Stormbringer AA and plasma cannons, EMP, etc.
You could also ret-con it such that the Project only destroyed the satellites whose orbits took them over North America (such satellites would likely be in GeoSync orbit) - and Europe is still in Las Sat coverage... So by the end... you could be using the Las Sat.

Or you could play as scavangers - fighting a loosing battle against Euro faction forces - much like in beta campaign - occasionally going on away missions to wipe out rival scavenger factions to create a safe haven to escape to from an Impending "Euro-Collective" attack (in a similar fashion to the way you establish a safe haven from the nucear beta blas) - I guess at some point you will need a mission to assault an enemy LZ to board and capture a transport for your use. Or you could retreat farther and farther along a main map -similar to retreating south in Gamma from Las Sats- Las sat strikes would be replaced with Artillery (like of screen groundshakers) and Aircraft Strikes (HEAP).
This retreat continues until your scavenger army encounters another faction fighting the Euro Faction - a Besieged Project base - about the size of the first NP base you see in Alpha - or smaller - a single light factory and cyborg factory - maybe 8 hardpoints, some Half track Viper Assault guns, 2 hellstorms and an Archangel- and maybe a few Hover Retaliation Scourge/needle/flashlights - facing Heavy Euro Cannon tanks (prefeably named after Norse Gods - Woden, Thor, Loki, etc - They could be good all around tanks - but inferior to Nexus bodies (but better in many ways to the Viper-Python Line) -
You meet them as the Euros are launching a massive assault that will break through the Project defensive line.
As the Scavenger commander, you decide the enemy of your enemy is your friend, and assist the project base in fighting off the Euro Faction. You then gain control of the project base - with the resource supply from the scavengers and the project base factories and tech- the combined Project/EuroScav forces counter attack the Euro Faction bases - thus starting the next campaign - the Project/EuroFaction faceoff

We assume many of these small project outposts fell when the Project Expedition encountered the Euro faction - all project bases would have been wiped out if not for the Scavenger intervention.
The Euro faction begins to reverse engineer the weapons found at the captured project outposts - as the Single surviving Project base attempts to recapture the Project outpost sites to prevent the Euro Faction from further reverse engineering of project tech.
As the project gets more and more resources under its control- The Euro faction makes more and more progress reverse engineering Project tech.

If you can't tell - I would like to see more Asymmetric Fighting - Ie playing as the vastly inferior Scavengers, or Technologically superior Project-with-Nexus-Tech against T1-T2 level enemies.

In Wz 2100 - you are basically always at a slight tech disadvantage. Sure the first few Alpha missions, you basically have the superior tech- but you're always a little behind the NP.
You are always only a little behind the Collective (with the exception of VTOLs and long range artillery at the start) - but still your units can face off against the NP or collective nearly 1 to 1 at any point in the game.
In the beginning, nexus has way better tank - but you don't see it used - by the time you see gauss, Vindicators, Vengeance bodies, and archangels, you already have most of the Nexus tech.

I want vastly different tech levels - starting with using 10 units (say cannon firetrucks) to take down a single enemy tank, or an enemy consisting of a single tank column (2x4?) needing your whole army to stop
Then transitioning too using a few tanks with Gauss/Rail/Scourge/ fully upgraded cannons fighting off an entire enemy army.
Play both ends of the spectrum, rather than always being stuck in the middle
Asterisk
Trained
Trained

Post by Asterisk »

Asymmetric Fighting...

DEFINITLY want to see that in game... Sucked how you were only just a LITTLE bit behind the enemy in the campaigns.

I like your ideas mostly, but on some points....

Anywho... my ideas...

Firstly, you manage another faction who only has VERY BASIC technology, lower than the project... even lower than some scavanger groups...
They would just be a group of survivors who want to rebuild the world like the project sorta, or change it so it isnt quite as repetative...
Starting out with aplha 1 type equipment of the scavangers... lots of armed civilians(cannon fodder bascily), a few buggys/jeeps... No towers as of yet...
No way of generating power (untill later, this is for proper rescource managment in the first few levels, gain access to power type technology later.)
No way of repairing mechanical vechiles, fleash units regain hp over time... if they last that long...
Anywho.. after a while a WAY stronger force (way stronger to you anyway... Like, think of the project vs the new paradigm... stronger than that... would be like inbetween the collective and the paradigym vs alpha project force...).
The new force slowly takes over most of the land and oil, leaving the terrain that is of no use to them, they wouldnt hunt you down... they would just retaliate a bit if they were attacked... They would only be looking for artifacts in the area and not on you as they can see your tech level is... sad to say the least XD.
After a while you strike back attempting to drive them out of the land, leading to an all out war between you and that advanced faction...
Either a) you win the war... or b) you are just about to lose the war as the enemy is just about to destroy your main base as another faction comes in and saves you, this group would either be the project or a completely new faction...(they would ally you... after you gain their trust...)

Meh
Your attacks upon us will not go unpunished. You are in contravention of the New Paradigm. Message ends.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

A new, follow-up campaign should definitely feature one or two new factions with new game mechanics. The idea of one of these being based on asymmetric warfare is a good one (GLA Stealth General anyone? :twisted:). However, to make things fun you also need a new powerful enemy with superior weapons and technology. I think the Starcraft approach to introducing multiple, playable factions in a campaign is a good one, where you change which faction you play during the campaign. One idea would be to start playing the low-tech asymmetric faction, sort of playing its rise to pre-eminence in its part of the world, then switch to the Project as it expands into this new territory, introducing the new techs and bodies not present in the campaign. The third, more-powerful faction would perhaps be best introduced not as a playable faction, but as an overpowered enemy, similar to Nexus, which might unite the asymmetric faction and the Project.

The arguments as to why there might not (realistically speaking) be any faction out there more powerful than the Project, having defeated and absorbed Nexus, are good ones. But that just means we have to be a little more creative and taking some artistic license. Say, for instance, that particle physicists at CERN, mostly based in Switzerland, manage to survive the nuclear holocaust and go on to develop technology that allows them to manipulate space and time itself. They could have massive units with multiple (particle) weapons (similar to experimental units in Supreme Commander), teleportation beacons that can recall units to safety, stasis fields, and so on.

There are some game mechanics that could we could decide to reserve for the asymmetric faction: Mines, sound and motion based sensors (passive and not detectable by radar detector sensors), unit and building stealth, unit special abilities, chemical weapons, and when getting higher tech level - sonic weapons and helicopters (weaker flying units that do not need to return to reload).

All this is of course far into the future, since we have too many other, more important things to work on right now than to add code support for stuff like this. However, if we think such a plan is a good idea, we should be reserving game mechanics for new factions, and not just add such new things to the Project faction.
Asterisk
Trained
Trained

Post by Asterisk »

How about have multiple factions in the campaign, you dont swap half way through....

At the new campaign start up, you choose the campaign you want to play, there will be choices.

Basicly you will be playing the same story through differnt factions, maybe even differnt outcomes of the story... e.g. one "bad" faction dominating the project.
One "good" faction destroying the bad faction, and the scavanger type faction who are just trying to survive....

Or it could not be on the same story line... but they do meet each other though.
Your attacks upon us will not go unpunished. You are in contravention of the New Paradigm. Message ends.
Freakyman
Trained
Trained

Post by Freakyman »

just wanted to say this Europa is what the romans and people along that time line called europe same as britannia is the old name for britain i prefer britannia.

Hail Britannia, Britannia Rule World. :D
AnDyRyuuJin
Trained
Trained

Post by AnDyRyuuJin »

it is still called europa in my language (romanian ((romana)) italian ) rest i dont know :P
Ware-ra wa Kaminari !!!
Freakyman
Trained
Trained

Post by Freakyman »

AnDyRyuuJin wrote:it is still called europa in my language (romanian ((romana)) italian ) rest i dont know :P
Ahh yes so it is i forgot i is still called Europa in some of centralized areas of Europe,,, wait you are in the centralized areas right?, been a long time since i had to remember geography :(

Also Romanian ironically has Roman in it :P
Revelo
Trained
Trained

Post by Revelo »

This is an idea I am willing to support, we all remember the teaser at the end of Warzone with the satellite and NEXUS laughter. Of course since we don't know any idea of story for Warzone 2200 yet we have free reign on what to do with an expansion or small sequel to the game. Exploring mainland Europe is fine by me. If people wanted I'd be willing to contribute to story development. i have written a bit of fan fiction in my time.

Maybe we should include an allied faction in Europe or something. I would be rather worried if The Project was the only faction around trying to do any good. Maybe some survivors in Europe formed a loose alliance after the Collapse but thanks to constant attacks from NEXUS or DAWN they have been unable to unify or get enough resources to stage an effective resistance, but they have some unique technologies behind them. The Project offers to assist. Some of Per's ideas above could easily be integrated into a story. I just think we need to show more hope since most of the time the World of Warzone is sheer hell and destruction.

Up to whoever is in charge :) I'm just offering to help.

PS: MMORPG idea - WoW, World of Warzone ;)
Read my review of Warzone 2100 here!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.115500
new paradigm leader
Trained
Trained

Post by new paradigm leader »

I could see New Paradigm and Collective strength factions arising on their own in Europe, but their tech would be too low to be a threat to the project- unless they had nukes....

But as for other Scavengers....
1 assault gun retaliation light body tank with full upgrades could easily wipe out all the scavenger bases from any mission in the campaign.
Now given the proliferation of small arms within the US, I think the US would have some of the most heavily armed Scavengers- with Africa and the Middle east being heavily armed as well (perhaps less small arms but more large explosives and RPGs)
Terrorism doesn't work when the other side is willing to kill everyone- the USA could easily defeat the "terrorists" by mass slaughter of the population - Can't tell a terrorist from a civilian? No Problem, kill them anyway.
now now you underestimate the ingenuity of european engineers especially the british. also scavengers could easily outstrip most factions if they are true to their title. all they really have to do is incapacitate a single project tank and voila! instant technology source. weapons can be improvised from basic things and these weapons can be immensely powerful for cost and time. asia would be problematic for the project as huge numbers of technicians and engineers and other such people would have survived also britain. britain would be very problematic consider that invention is something britain has always excelled at especially in the military sense for instance shrapnel shells, VTOL's are also a british invention. Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/harrier_jump_jet
Return to your designated zone or be destroyed. You are in contravention of the new paradigm.